Topo deals?

DamonC
DamonC Posts: 263
edited December 2009 in MTB general
I read on here a retailer was doing a good price on Garmin TOPO maps atm but can't find the post using the search.

Anyone remember where this deal was or know of any deals?

TIA

Damon
Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Dont bother with TOPO maps to be honest.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    Which unit have you got?
    Garmin Topo has limited use - it doesn't allow auto-routing, and most tracks and paths aren't shown.
    A better free map is available here:

http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

The new OS based Discover maps are excellent, but you need one of the latest devices to use them, and they're quite pricey.
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    Don't spend anything on the topo maps :shock:
    Total shite.
    the open map source ones ok although it has not even got half my town on it :lol:
    Garmin really did screw the edge 605/705 users :(
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    I have a 705, what are the alternatives?
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    DamonC wrote:

I would aquire the topo maps from the internet to see for yourself before you get stung for the huge cost there asking for it.Its what i did after advice from here and im very glad i did as i would of even been pissed off if i had of found the maps there that bad! :shock:
    I think your stuck to either the topo/city navigator or the open source map.
    The open source map is better than the topo but has huge chunks missing :lol: so nothings ideal in terms of maps for this nice bit of kit.
    My girlfriend bought mine from halfords for £300 :shock: and wasn't told it was exempt from the 30 days return policy :shock: :shock:
    so totally shafted! :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    DamonC wrote:

None for pure navigation, Ive vented my anger at Garmin for the TOPO maps supposed ability to be able to be used in the great outdoors.

Only alternative if you want OS map style, to return/sell 705 and get a Garmin Dakota/Oregon or say a Satmap Active with 1:50k Discovery maps.
  • gonga wrote:
    DamonC wrote:

I would aquire the topo maps from the internet to see for yourself before you get stung for the huge cost there asking for it.Its what i did after advice from here and im very glad i did as i would of even been pissed off if i had of found the maps there that bad! :shock:
    I think your stuck to either the topo/city navigator or the open source map.
    The open source map is better than the topo but has huge chunks missing :lol: so nothings ideal in terms of maps for this nice bit of kit.
    My girlfriend bought mine from halfords for £300 :shock: and wasn't told it was exempt from the 30 days return policy :shock: :shock:
    so totally shafted! :lol:

Everything is exempt from a stores quoted policy, if it's not "fit for purpose" it's money back time or raise a case on MCOL.
  • I got the OS Memory Map for Wales from Wiggle as after reading reviews the overall conscensus was that the Topos were crap.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9