Winter tights - not shaving??

paulscutt
paulscutt Posts: 332
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
OK, slightly strange question but i'm after some tights to keep me warm over the winter months and cooler days around the Welsh mountains...

They'll be worn under baggies (RaceFace DH 3/4's) and i want them to be padded.

Question is....

I dont shave my legs - will i look rediculous as i've never worn tights before and dont want girly legs!??
**2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's

Comments

• You wont look strange in tights they're a bit thicker than your missus's. Presuming your not proposing a set of 40 denier from Dot P's?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    you'll look ridiculous in tights... we all do...

we're blokes..
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Would you look ridiculous wearing football socks?

Do any other cyclists wear tights? Do they worry about looking ridiculous?

Personally, I'd rather look ridiculous than have hypothermia.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Just get some 3/4 length tights and you probably won't even see them under your 3/4 shorts. Unless it's really stupidly cold (mine were fine on Xmas morning at -2) they'll keep you plenty warm enough.
  • I'm considering some myself. I don't like trousers because they catch on the chainwheel. Even Tracksters do when they are wet.

My question is bib or no-bib?
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    dave_hill wrote:

+1

Besides, the only other people you'll see out in these temperatures will be dressed similarly.
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    dave_hill wrote:
    Other way round for me, I would rather have hypothermia!

Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    n517984969_3930.jpg
    Winter bib-tights with baggies.Not girly at all 8)
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I'm considering some myself. I don't like trousers because they catch on the chainwheel. Even Tracksters do when they are wet.

My question is bib or no-bib?

Bib every time.. they are better all round than non bib.
    better fit, and warmer.

I go with base layer under the bib.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    psssst.

what are baggies?
  • sniper68
    stomith wrote:
    psssst.

what are baggies?
    Baggy shorts ie not lycra.
    like THESE
  • I'd definately gor for bibs, they are a lot comfier. I stick with dhb from wiggle for tights, unbelievable value. The two budget ranges are earnley and merston. Merston tights are fleece lined so are a lot warmer.
  • thanks for the feedback guys - i'm after something to take the chill off but not a tight that i'll be sweating my legs of in as soon as the thermometer goes above 5 degrees!
    Was looking more at 'waist' tights - bibs seem to have more peoples approval though?

Do people wear base layer under of over the 'bib'??
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's
  • I wear Adidas unpadded clima cool tights which are designed for jogging. They wick sweat and stop a certain amount of wind but are by no means waterproof or windproof or winterised.

I don't worry about my "look", as once the long sleeve Foska Marmite jersey, (with poor taste humour on the back panel) has been added, the general public probably consider me to look like a complete idiot anyway.

I also wear zip off leg North Face walking baggies over the top as "modesty protectors". C2W scheme sees that I should employ a certain amount of dignity and not scare any middle aged women in our offices, or embarrass any younger models or appear to be making pathetic attempts at boasting to the chaps. As I don't want to buy two outfits, this one doubles as my weekend XC outfit.

I would switch to winter padded and no baggies for weekend XC, but I noticed that the mud clings to the outer layer around the ar5e crack big time as I have no whale fin. So... as I worry that the cold winter mud will chill my harris tweed slot I decided to also retain weekend dignity.

The tights, whilst also keeping you warm(er), also provide a little added protection against bramble slashes and nettle stings. I found out at the weekend that they do not protect against electric fence shock therapy. Especially when wet.... OUCH !

That all said and done, my wife disowns me when I get home. "He's the gimp lodger" she shouts to neighbours.

In answer to your question about under or over the bibs, I would suggest you think carefully about which will chafe less.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    As you'll probably have some lycra shorts for the ole cushioning for all year round use, get some winter leg warmers as an addition which creates full length tights and as above just wear some 3/4 baggies over the top.

Looks fine and keeps super warm ;)
  • paulscutt wrote:
    thanks for the feedback guys - i'm after something to take the chill off but not a tight that i'll be sweating my legs of in as soon as the thermometer goes above 5 degrees!
    Was looking more at 'waist' tights - bibs seem to have more peoples approval though?

Do people wear base layer under of over the 'bib'??

Wear my 3/4 quarter bib tights over a base layer with jersey of choice over that, find that this way i dont get any rubbing from the bib part that goes over your shoulders.
  • Padded lycra shorts under tights for me. I don't mind looking an idiot.

I don't like my bib tights - they keep coming off my shoulder, which becomes annoying and uncomfortable.
  • sniper68
    edited December 2009
    I wear Adidas unpadded clima cool tights which are designed for jogging. They wick sweat and stop a certain amount of wind but are by no means waterproof or windproof or winterised.

I don't worry about my "look", as once the long sleeve Foska Marmite jersey, (with poor taste humour on the back panel) has been added, the general public probably consider me to look like a complete idiot anyway.

I also wear zip off leg North Face walking baggies over the top as "modesty protectors". C2W scheme sees that I should employ a certain amount of dignity and not scare any middle aged women in our offices, or embarrass any younger models or appear to be making pathetic attempts at boasting to the chaps. As I don't want to buy two outfits, this one doubles as my weekend XC outfit.

I would switch to winter padded and no baggies for weekend XC, but I noticed that the mud clings to the outer layer around the ar5e crack big time as I have no whale fin. So... as I worry that the cold winter mud will chill my harris tweed slot I decided to also retain weekend dignity.

The tights, whilst also keeping you warm(er), also provide a little added protection against bramble slashes and nettle stings. I found out at the weekend that they do not protect against electric fence shock therapy. Especially when wet.... OUCH !

That all said and done, my wife disowns me when I get home. "He's the gimp lodger" she shouts to neighbours.

In answer to your question about under or over the bibs, I would suggest you think carefully about which will chafe less.
    ???????
  • Winter bib-tights with baggies.Not girly at all
    not girly, but just looks daft. what's the point of the baggies?
  • I have some DHB 3/4 bibs for under my baggies, dead comfy and nice and warm in winter.

As to why? well it's simple, I'm not the sort of chap who feels comfortable going out with my meat on display. I'm also fairly certain other people dont want to be looking at my fat ass wobble on up the trail. Baggies over tights means I get the best of both worlds. Nice and toasty whilst keeping my....modesty covered.

I know this pic gets posted every time someone mentions lycra around here, but CLOTHING LIKE THIS IS JUST WRONG !!!
    cyclists.jpg
  • got a wiggle £5 voucher today by email so gonna go for the dhb merston's (padded, 2010) but go for the waist version as not won over by bib type yet...
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

• sniper68
    Winter bib-tights with baggies.Not girly at all
    not girly, but just looks daft. what's the point of the baggies?
    Men look stupid in Lycra-fact.
    Lycra is for roadies or women
    Also the baggies help keep your arse dry 8)
  • ah, but men also look stupid in baggies - fact :)
    Lycra is the best cycling clothing material there is. Really baggies only make any sense if you're about 15 and like getting 'phat air' presumably, or if you've got a tiny knob.
  • ordered 2010 dhb merston padded waist type tights - £31.99 delivered from wiggle :)
    also got some windproof/showerproof mtb gloves from CRC (Madison)
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Really baggies only make any sense if you're about 15 and like getting 'phat air' presumably, or if you've got a tiny knob.

See picture above. Big knob, small knob - nobody wants to see your junk!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Really baggies only make any sense if you're about 15 and like getting 'phat air' presumably, or if you've got a tiny knob.

See picture above. Big knob, small knob - nobody wants to see your junk!

Indeed, its not a pretty sight.
  • Im on my 2nd pair of Lusso bibs, had the first pair donkeys years and treated myself to a new pair since they're so good.

Went out in the -5 temps the other weekend and stayed snug as a bug, been out in the soaking rain too and kept nice and dry 8)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/lusso-max-repel-item136798.html
  • I went into JE James and looked at the Lusso tights. They don't even have flat seems. So I bought some Enduros instead.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    m_cozzy wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:
    Other way round for me, I would rather have hypothermia!

so you're a tool? Good luck with that... Do you think the public think you look good on baggies? You look ridiculous to most people anyway!

Bib tights all the way, I'd recommend Gore stuff, not the cheapest, although I think they do some tights on the cheaper end of the scale. Lusso are highly over rated and the quality on Endura stuff is often pretty poor.
  • See picture above. Big knob, small knob - nobody wants to see your junk!
    agreed - but nobody wants to see a grown man dressing up like the lovechild of a circus clown and a kiddiefiddler scoutmaster either. Face it - whatever you wear to ride, you look daft. Might as well wear something functional.