£1200 ish to spend on a bike

2»

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    mkirby wrote:
    ok my LBS cant get a Viner in for me but they do have a rather nice looking Kuota Kharma that they can do me a deal on. Im going to go up on the weekend for a test ride and see what its like.

Has anyone any experiance of these bikes?

Ta

Made up the Kuota for my brother.

Cost to build £1100 approx. Got the frame & seatpost new for £470 posted (were selling for £490 on eBay - rang the shop direct, Shimano 105 black for £400 from Merlin. Got a pair of Mavic Kysrium Elites + Michelin Pro Race 3 tyres & tubes for £150 (very good price I thought) from Bikeradar forum. Sourced Ritchey stem, FSA bars, saddle etc for less than £100.

Kuotas are really attractive bikes to look at in my opinion and the reviews are widely complimentary.

PS I have changed the saddle angle!

P1040557.jpg
  • Dawes Galaxy
  • mr.g
    mr.g Posts: 36
    Bianchi's are the Raleigh's of Italy!

Anyway check my signature for my choice :lol:

LMFAO at this quote. Pure idiotic response which wasn't even worth clicking the submit button for! There we go, they arrive everwhere sooner or later, there's always "ONE"!

Bianchi have been around for centuries. Very well known and very very good reputation, which doesn't come easily. Raleigh....we all know are not a professional level bike, well i owned them mostly as a child, and road racing/road bikes were not really that well known here so i can't say that in my experience i've seen raleigh competing at a high professional level like other competitors.

Bianchi are professional so comparing them to Raleigh is just plain stupid.

Anyway enough of the BS....

I was in this very same position last year. Having around £1200 to spend and not knowing who to ask advice from, where to go, who to listen to and what magazines to read etc. All those bikes, all those prices, all those compenents....what do they mean?

This is when i found EPIC cycles. Truely the best shop "I" have had the pleasure of visiting. I wanted the Orbea Onix....had looked at it and dreamed about owning it for days before actually going to EPIC for a visit. The staff are all very knowlegeable and very approachable. They'll do anything for you! Even if you don't buy they are happy to give you any advice you need.

They fitted me to a bike, Scott CR1 and i tested it on the open road. Wow...the thing flew, i'm used to mountain bikes so didn't actually realise that road bikes were so fast and agile. After looking at the Orbea's back at EPIC after my little 20 minute blast (shaking with adreneline) i decided on a Scott CR1 Team.

A few weeks later i'd realised that i wasn't really getting on with the bike, it wasn't that comfortable, i'd remembered as a kid (i'm 32 so 15 years or more ago), the name Bianchi....looking in a family friends garage this bike was just magnificent. Left with awe each time i saw it. I wandered over to the Bianchi section during a re-visit and was shown various bikes. I ordered the 928 B4P Carbon Mono-Q in white. Best decision i've made to date.

I've fairly bad asthma which is almost under control now and last year i loved riding the bike so much i managed to do around 30Km per day/evening depending on work commitments etc. But around 25/30Km per day is where i was. Made such a difference.

I now love my bike. I guess each to their own in the choices they make, for me it was a more exotic italian "looking" bike is what i was after, and the ride i feel is much better.

For some of us feeling comfortable with how a bike looks to the eye is just as important as how it rides. I'm one of those people and yes my clothes match my bike....do i care what other people think when they see me? NO.....as long as i'm enjoying what i'm doing! I've not a care in the world when i'm out on my machine.....just me and the road!

Anyway, hope you make a good choice in bike and enjoy it as much as i do.

Bianchi+MonoQ.jpg

G
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    mr.g wrote:
    Bianchi's are the Raleigh's of Italy!

Anyway check my signature for my choice :lol:

LMFAO at this quote. Pure idiotic response which wasn't even worth clicking the submit button for! There we go, they arrive everwhere sooner or later, there's always "ONE"!

Bianchi have been around for centuries. Very well known and very very good reputation, which doesn't come easily. Raleigh....we all know are not a professional level bike, well i owned them mostly as a child, and road racing/road bikes were not really that well known here so i can't say that in my experience i've seen raleigh competing at a high professional level like other competitors.

Bianchi are professional so comparing them to Raleigh is just plain stupid.

Anyway enough of the BS....

I was in this very same position last year. Having around £1200 to spend and not knowing who to ask advice from, where to go, who to listen to and what magazines to read etc. All those bikes, all those prices, all those compenents....what do they mean?

This is when i found EPIC cycles. Truely the best shop "I" have had the pleasure of visiting. I wanted the Orbea Onix....had looked at it and dreamed about owning it for days before actually going to EPIC for a visit. The staff are all very knowlegeable and very approachable. They'll do anything for you! Even if you don't buy they are happy to give you any advice you need.

They fitted me to a bike, Scott CR1 and i tested it on the open road. Wow...the thing flew, i'm used to mountain bikes so didn't actually realise that road bikes were so fast and agile. After looking at the Orbea's back at EPIC after my little 20 minute blast (shaking with adreneline) i decided on a Scott CR1 Team.

A few weeks later i'd realised that i wasn't really getting on with the bike, it wasn't that comfortable, i'd remembered as a kid (i'm 32 so 15 years or more ago), the name Bianchi....looking in a family friends garage this bike was just magnificent. Left with awe each time i saw it. I wandered over to the Bianchi section during a re-visit and was shown various bikes. I ordered the 928 B4P Carbon Mono-Q in white. Best decision i've made to date.

I've fairly bad asthma which is almost under control now and last year i loved riding the bike so much i managed to do around 30Km per day/evening depending on work commitments etc. But around 25/30Km per day is where i was. Made such a difference.

I now love my bike. I guess each to their own in the choices they make, for me it was a more exotic italian "looking" bike is what i was after, and the ride i feel is much better.

For some of us feeling comfortable with how a bike looks to the eye is just as important as how it rides. I'm one of those people and yes my clothes match my bike....do i care what other people think when they see me? NO.....as long as i'm enjoying what i'm doing! I've not a care in the world when i'm out on my machine.....just me and the road!

Anyway, hope you make a good choice in bike and enjoy it as much as i do.

Bianchi+MonoQ.jpg

G

Oooooooh get you

You probably haven't been cycling as long as I have. Years ago British Raleigh made very good bikes, but apart from the Special Division ones they were mass produced. But they were very popular and were seen everywhere. Raleigh also made loads of other styles of bikes, kids bikes, shoppers, tourers etc. Again seen everywhere and very popular - if you asked anyone in the street to name a bike brand in them days they would have answered Raleigh. I think you also need to Google Ti Raleigh and Peter Post to see how well regarded Raleigh were

Now you can exchange the words British and Raleigh in the above paragraph with Italian and Bianchi and more or less it will hold true.

I wasn't having a go at Bianchi - far from it.

But somehow I think you'll have egg on your face for this comment "Bianchi are professional so comparing them to Raleigh is just plain stupid." when you actually Google Raleigh
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • larmurf
    larmurf Posts: 110
    wheeler585 wrote:
    I would get a bargain off ebay!

Would certainly take a look Got a madone about 15 months ago from a seller in
    Scotland for £850 including postage - have been delighted with it since

lm
    Mahatma Gandhi was asked by a British journalist what he thought of Western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea," he replied.
  • mr.g
    Oooooooh get you

You probably haven't been cycling as long as I have. Years ago British Raleigh made very good bikes, but apart from the Special Division ones they were mass produced. But they were very popular and were seen everywhere. Raleigh also made loads of other styles of bikes, kids bikes, shoppers, tourers etc. Again seen everywhere and very popular - if you asked anyone in the street to name a bike brand in them days they would have answered Raleigh. I think you also need to Google Ti Raleigh and Peter Post to see how well regarded Raleigh were

Now you can exchange the words British and Raleigh in the above paragraph with Italian and Bianchi and more or less it will hold true.

But somehow I think you'll have egg on your face for this comment "Bianchi are professional so comparing them to Raleigh is just plain stupid." when you actually Google Raleigh

I might not have been cycling as long as you have but thats just actually performing the "sport". There's every chance i've been interested/follwed cycling as long.

As for having an Egg on my face....nobody here seems to be saying anything to the contrary, so maybe sadly as my first post suggests you are again wrong.

How can you say Raleigh are a proffesional race outfit? When was the last time you saw raleigh bikes in any big races? Try 1980 with the Dutchman Joop Zoetemelk. That is a fair time ago.

I'm not in any way slating Raleigh, the opposite in fact, they are a proven bike brand. But they are clearly not in the same league as Bianchi are or have been to date.

We all have our own interpretations of bikes....the above is mine. When i see the name raleigh i see cheap over produced bikes which were the be all and end all of the early 80's. Loved them as a kid and do still have fond memories, mustangs and super fuff burners were just a few of my favorites.

Bianchi means Italian to me, hand built quality bikes which have been at the forefront of racing and technology for years. There are loads of manufacturers out there today which are just starting off and do provide bikes which far exceed Bianchi and Raleigh both, it's a buyers market, decisions vary from person to person, flash or plain, bright or dull. Mines in between and i happen to like the crisp white colours.

:)

Happy cycling.

G
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    nicolecooke-vi.jpg
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    at the risk of getting back on topic (and if the OP hasn't already splashed out)...
    I'd have a shufti at a planet-x carbon. They're doing one with a mostly ultegra build for about 1150 at the moment - not quite as good as deal as the grand they had it at last year but still not bad at all.
    I'm dead happy with mine.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    http://www.teamraleigh.co.uk - Raleigh certainly seem to want to be coming back into the "high end" markets sponsoring their own continental team

and this link certainly seems to confirm that bianchi at least started off as a mass producer of bikes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianchi_Bicycles

That's not to knock Bianchi - I think your 928 looks very nice indeed, but I also think that Bianchi produce most of their bikes in Taiwan these days. I think to say that Bianchi is the Raleigh of Italy is not the cuss that you take it to be!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Bianchi means Italian to me, hand built quality bikes which have been at the forefront of racing and technology for years. There are loads of manufacturers out there today which are just starting off and do provide bikes which far exceed Bianchi and Raleigh both, it's a buyers market, decisions vary from person to person, flash or plain, bright or dull. Mines in between and i happen to like the crisp white colours.

How romantic! How many Bianchi models are hand built (rather than hand assembled) in Italy? :wink:
  • Chip \'oyler
    mr.g wrote:
    Oooooooh get you

I might not have been cycling as long as you have but thats just actually performing the "sport". There's every chance i've been interested/follwed cycling as long.

As for having an Egg on my face....nobody here seems to be saying anything to the contrary, so maybe sadly as my first post suggests you are again wrong.

How can you say Raleigh are a proffesional race outfit? When was the last time you saw raleigh bikes in any big races? Try 1980 with the Dutchman Joop Zoetemelk. That is a fair time ago.

I'm not in any way slating Raleigh, the opposite in fact, they are a proven bike brand. But they are clearly not in the same league as Bianchi are or have been to date.

We all have our own interpretations of bikes....the above is mine. When i see the name raleigh i see cheap over produced bikes which were the be all and end all of the early 80's. Loved them as a kid and do still have fond memories, mustangs and super fuff burners were just a few of my favorites.

:)

Happy cycling.

G

You really are deluded

• Chip \'oyler
    And Mr G. If you ever go to an Italian city and open your eyes you might see a lot of the town bikes, shoppers etc bearing the name Bianchi.

Whether you like it or not they are a mass production brand - they certainly aren't Pergoretti or Milani or Colnago

• Chip \'oyler
    I'll refer you to the OP's original post:

Ok guys need you to spend my money for me Laughing

Looking for a new road bike in the £1200 price range, all i want is something that is light and can go up hills bonus points if it looks the bees knees. Prefer to have something from a non mainstream brand as like to be a little different but more concerned with getting a good bike this time around.

So far i am drawn too

Orbea Onix
    Viner Magnifica
    Bianchi 1885 Veloce

Any opinions on these bikes? Any suggestions on other brands i should be looking at?

Cheers

• alfablue
    Y0BA2.jpg
    MLX18LSL.jpg
  • alfablue
    Sorry, we got distracted on the Bianchi debacle :oops:
  • alfablue wrote:
    Y0BA2.jpg
    MLX18LSL.jpg

Thats what I'm talking about!
  • mr.g
    Lol spoken like a true idiot, where I've spoken facts, all you do is call me deluded.

Where's your vocabulary? Try Reading a dictionary deluded is hardly the right word, passionate is more fitting! :)

I'm off to buy one of those three bikes, think they'd really do the trick for me!

Whatever raleigh do with getting back into high end bikes, I'm sure given the correct riders they'll do well.

He mentioned, the OP that is, Bianchi. Where did raleigh come into this debate? Oh that's right some numpty compared them to....

I'm bored!
  • Chip \'oyler
    mr.g wrote:
    Lol spoken like a true idiot, where I've spoken facts, all you do is call me deluded.

Where's your vocabulary? Try Reading a dictionary deluded is hardly the right word, passionate is more fitting! :)

I'm off to buy one of those three bikes, think they'd really do the trick for me!

Whatever raleigh do with getting back into high end bikes, I'm sure given the correct riders they'll do well.

He mentioned, the OP that is, Bianchi. Where did raleigh come into this debate? Oh that's right some numpty compared them to....

I'm bored!

Your facts are bollox

• mr.g
    Ok Raleigh boy. Oh wait let me rephrase that looks like we all need a viner

There's always one idiot, no matter where you are and you sir, you happen to be him...

Now run along like a good little boy and go play with your toys, come back when you've actually learned to hold a decent conversation without basing your knowledge on pure thought alone.

Bore the hell outta me with those one liners ;-)
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Bianchi are about as common in Italy for town or utility bikes as Raleigh once were in the UK in the same market... honestly they are all over the place and many of them look pretty beat up. I don't think this means that they can't have decent top end bikes (as indeed Raleigh once did, while also having a mass market.)

The UK is not Italy so arguably they are not a "mainstream" brand there in the sense that Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc are (who also make a full range from hybrids to high end road bikes.)

I know several people with Bianchi road bikes and all seem to like them.

Personally though of those three I think I would go with the Orbea. Purely on aesthetic grounds.
  • mr.g
    At last someone with a bit of sense and knowledge.
  • Chip \'oyler
    mr.g wrote:

There's always one idiot, no matter where you are and you sir, you happen to be him...

Now run along like a good little boy and go play with your toys, come back when you've actually learned to hold a decent conversation without basing your knowledge on pure thought alone.

Did your mum help you write that?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    mr.g wrote:

Bit rich coming from the person who appears to think the tubes of a Bianchi are all hand rolled on the thighs of Italian virgins rather than in a mould in Taiwan (probably the mould next to the Raleigh one. No one has said that Bianchi don't make good or attractive bikes but they are clearly mass produced rather than "hand built quality bikes" not that that is necessarily a bad thing as the quality control is higher than for some bloke turning out carbon tubes in his shed in Tuscany :wink:

To be honest Chip's suggestion of a Viner is likely to be less common on British roads and probably offers more of the romanticised values that you appear to want if not as much history.
  • alfablue wrote:
    nicolecooke-vi.jpg

I think that demolished the bianchi rant in a slick and professional way =P

And in honesty, I had a decision to make between the Raleigh Avanti U6 and the Bianchi Via Nirone, and went for the Raleigh in part because its an English company... call it skewed loyalty, but Im glad I did!! Its a cracking bike!

Not to mention replacement parts for a full Tiagra equipped bike appear to be cheaper and easier to source (in England) than Campag Xenon parts.....
    exercise.png
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    There is a very interesting history charting the decline of Raleigh in the last quarter of the 20th century, well worth a read.

Raleigh are attempting a comeback in professional cycling, presumably to promote the brand back to where it previously stood with high-end offerings supporting the perception of the brand as a whole even if most sales are at the lower end.

You can see this strategy already with the likes of the new Avanti-designed range... Avanti are a (I believe) relatively small New Zealand-based bike producer who are well regarded and also licensed time trial and track designs to Focus last year, used by the German national team. To be honest I'd have more faith in buying a Raleigh co-branded with Avanti I reckon, I think it is a good move for them. People wouldn't have a lot of faith with Raleigh just coming out with a high-end bike on their own, they will have to work their way back up.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Sorry to interrupt the flame war i seem to have started but i thought i would let you know i have ordered a Kuota Kharma in white. I was going to get pink but every one threatened to disown me. Got a good deal just waiting to see how much it will be with upgraded wheels. Should have it all by saturday.

Cant Wait :P
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    mkirby wrote:
    Sorry to interrupt the flame war i seem to have started but i thought i would let you know i have ordered a Kuota Kharma in white. I was going to get pink but every one threatened to disown me. Got a good deal just waiting to see how much it will be with upgraded wheels. Should have it all by saturday.

Cant Wait :P

Nice choice - I have a 2005 Kharna, rides superbly. Pics when you get it!
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos