brake lever grips?

sandbag
sandbag Posts: 429
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
Is it possible to get plastic slide on covers for your brake levers? I am guessing not due to the different design/shapes in gear levers...

or some thin one piece firm padded tape.

failing that, some bar tape perhaps.

Comments

• Huh?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Could always use some electrical shrink wrap! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    dont understand why you want lever covers but try some electrical heatshrink tubing. its thin rubber tube and shrinks when heated.
  • sandbag
    edited December 2009
    I like to add a material onto them to prevent my fingers going numb from the cold metal due to using fingerless gloves. It takes so long to get my fingers warm again.

Call me soft but i like abit of padding there also. Electrical tape is flat
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    sandbag wrote:
    I like to add a material onto them to prevent my fingers going numb from the cold metal due to using fingerless gloves. It takes so long to get my fingers warm again.

It's winter... Get some full finger gloves :shock:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • sandbag wrote:
    I like to add a material onto them to prevent my fingers going numb from the cold metal from using fingerless gloves.

All good brake levers are carbon fibre :wink:

Perhaps in the winter it would be more appropriate to be wearing proper full finger gloves than fingerless gloves ?
  • rake
    hopper1 wrote:
    sandbag wrote:

It's winter... Get some full finger gloves :shock:
    and some long trousers.
  • sandbag
    I like using fingerless mitts because if i get a puncture i don't have to take them off lol and for other things too. They are the mesh kind. They are actually weight lifting gloves but exactly same.

Ok i look at full gloves. If i don't see any i like i follow through with my idea.

How about these? lol
    http://uk.aldi.com/uk/html/offers/2827_12290.htm
  • sandbag
    rake wrote:
    dont understand why you want lever covers but try some electrical heatshrink tubing. its thin rubber tube and shrinks when heated.

Heatshrink tubing good idea. Create a tight fit.

Just need to find a blowtorch...
  • rake
    a hairdryer might do it.
  • sandbag
    Thanks, i was thinking of a lighter. Halford's have it.

Are you all using waterproof/windproof Winter gloves?

I do the sensible thing and get some decent gloves.
  • sandbag
    Another thought was, it match the bar tape and look uniform.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you can get them for V-brake/bmx style levers

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165608

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13363

depending on what levers you currently run, they may fit.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I think the air temperature has more to do with your fingers getting cold than the brake levers.
  • sandbag
    maddog 2 wrote:
    you can get them for V-brake/bmx style levers

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13363

depending on what levers you currently run, they may fit.

Thanks for that.

What i have done is slide on 23mm inner tube. It goes on alittle slack. I then sealed it with wraps of electrical tape. I then slide another inner tube and make a cut down the back so i can slide it up well onto the hood. The tube now grips tight. To get it to grip tighter at bottom, i slide tube up and wrap more tape underneath at bottom, then slide tube back down. I wrap abit of electrical tape at the top to secure. It looks neat, blades are not as sharp and don't cut into my hands anymore, chunky with nice feel.

Did a test out tonight of 10 miles, real cold and trying to snow. Blades are warmer to the touch. Great. Incidentally that's the last ride of 2009.

The many spare uses of inner tube :) .
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    congratulations on discovering an issue where none had previously existed.... :)
  • sandbag
    Well the brake levers are quite dated. The newer ones must be smoother shaped, plus the luxury of carbon. They taken the cold edge off. They more pronounced to grab. How shall i put it. It kind of like fitting a luxury steering wheel cover to your car. No you don't need it, but you end up with a luxury comfort feel with more secure driving.

Are you going to say you don't need handlebar tape as well? That's not essential either :P.
  • softlad
    sandbag wrote:
    Are you going to say you don't need handlebar tape as well? That's not essential either :P.

bars are for holding on to - brake levers are for slowing you down when necessary. And this is not the 1970s - nobody uses steering wheel covers anymore....
  • Wear fcuking gloves.

Definitely a solution to problem that doesn't exist.
  • sandbag
    Just think no handlebar tape and good padded gloves and it just be like your using bar tape :P. Just think of the weight saving too, lol.

Even if i had full gloves on, the blades are thinner and not go as well with big hands. I am trying to tell you from what i did is an improvement. When you pulling on brakes alot over 80 miles, they dig into your hands, and worse when it's cold. I have alleviated that.

I can't afford £25 quality gloves at moment, when there is more urgent upgrades. What i like about mitts is the good grip. If i use cheap wool gloves, you can never get them dry again. It like wet hands so worse.

I will scout for the right gloves in time.
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    I suffer from seriously cold hands at this time of year
    Nothing but full ski gloves for me.

I had two pairs of gloves on last week riding in the peak and the pain was unbelievable.
    I wish I didnt suffer with this problem. It make riding very painfull in winter.
  • softlad
    sandbag wrote:
    Just think no handlebar tape and good padded gloves and it just be like your using bar tape :P. Just think of the weight saving too, lol.

Even if i had full gloves on, the blades are thinner and not go as well with big hands. I am trying to tell you from what i did is an improvement. When you pulling on brakes alot over 80 miles, they dig into your hands, and worse when it's cold. I have alleviated that.

I can't afford £25 quality gloves at moment, when there is more urgent upgrades. What i like about mitts is the good grip. If i use cheap wool gloves, you can never get them dry again. It like wet hands so worse.

I will scout for the right gloves in time.

Fella - you're not making any sense. You are riding in mid-winter in a pair of track mitts - what could be a more urgent 'upgrade' than a pair of winter gloves...?

Next, you'll be telling us that you do all your riding in nothing but your vest and a pair of boxers.....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    This guy sounds like a relative of willlhub.

Can't afford any cycling kit, but can afford to go and out and spend £600 on a Laptop and £1000 on a CAAD9
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    I couldnt even set off in this weather in just Mitts.
    Im fellrunning in the Peak Dstrict tommorow and my number one item in my bag is ski gloves.
  • sandbag
    softlad wrote:

Fella - you're not making any sense. You are riding in mid-winter in a pair of track mitts - what could be a more urgent 'upgrade' than a pair of winter gloves...?

Next, you'll be telling us that you do all your riding in nothing but your vest and a pair of boxers.....

It wasn't urgent because i been consumed to get the bike right first. I can suffer the cold more than most it seems. I been using shorts, every other day just like Summer. I have no mudguards. It doesn't bother me much. When it really cold i wrap my fingers around well, to protect them from the front blast of cold air.
  • softlad
    sandbag wrote:
    I can suffer the cold more than most it seems.

it's a question of keeping warm - not 'suffering' the cold...you don't get extra points for wearing the least amount of clothes in winter. If you'd just gone and bought some decent gloves in the first place, you wouldn't need to be pointlessly wrapping bits of innertube around your brake levers...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    FFS - how often do you get a puncture ?

And you prefer fingerless mitts because they are better when you have to change a tyre ?

I have good tyres and I've no problem riding in proper winter gloves for 99.99% of the time and take them off for the v rare flat.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Crikey the guy just wants some advice, if he doesn't feel the cold that much then fair play, can't see why people seem so bothered :?
  • Halfords stock lizard skins and own brand lever covers, look like foam/neoprene.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Best advice I can give is to buy gloves and buy something to cover your knees. Knee joints don't like being out in freezing conditions - get them protected or you'll be flogging your bike when you injure them.