853 frame

darren H
darren H Posts: 122
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
My first post on here

Having spent a lot of time over the past 2 years riding my Rourke 953 bike Ive just ordered an 853 frame for winter riding.
My current winter steed is my 55" Bianchi Aluminium
Today I rode 123miles in the Peak and really suffered with the frame being slightly to big.

My Rourke is a 53" but I def aint taking my 953 out in this weather

Just really wondering what the 853 frames ride like.?????
Im going to take all the parts off my Bianchi and let Rourkes fit the to the 853.

Comments

• jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    isn't 953 stainless??
  • jp1985 wrote:
    isn't 953 stainless??

Lol that was my first thought too :lol:
  • sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    Custom bike builders using 953 are thin on the ground still. It like a special order.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    darren H wrote:
    Today I rode 123miles in the Peak and really suffered with the frame being slightly to big.

You rode 123 miles through the Peak District in today's weather..?? Seriously, which Pro Tour team do you ride for..??
  • darren H
    edited December 2009
    I dont ride for a pro tour team ?, I dont ride for any team.

I wont take my summer bike out in winter which is a Rourke 953. Yes I know its stainless and I waited nearly 14 months for it to arrive. Think it was £1450.00 when I purchased it in 2007.
    I
    Its too good a bike to take out in weather such as yesterday. I didnt pay out nearly 4 grand to get it scratched and hammered on winter days like yesterday.

The 853 is indeed steel thats why I was asking what the ride would be like as ive never experienced what these frames ride like. Im presuming a bit softer ride which will suit me ideal for winter training.
    I ride long distances over the winter to harden up for the fell running season. Whats wrong with that.
    You dont need to be a pro to ride a 100 odd miles at 16mph.

If I could afford another 953 STAINLESS frame for winter I would but alas I cannot.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    darren H wrote:
    I dont ride for a pro tour team ?, I dont ride for any team.

I wont take my summer bike out in winter which is a Rourke 953. Yes I know its stainless and I waited nearly 14 months for it to arrive. Think it was £1450.00 when I purchased it in 2007.
    I
    Its too good a bike to take out in weather such as yesterday. I didnt pay out nearly 4 grand to get it scratched and hammered on winter days like yesterday.

The 853 is indeed steel thats why I was asking what the ride would be like as ive never experienced what these frames ride like. Im presuming a bit softer ride which will suit me ideal for winter training.
    I ride long distances over the winter to harden up for the fell running season. Whats wrong with that.

If I could afford another 953 STAINLESS frame for winter I would but alas I cannot.

Is this how you lot usually greet a newcomer to the forum.
    Jeeesus

No, they usually get a baptism of fire!!

I'm sure an 853 frame will be perfect for the long rides you are doing...
  • darren H
    No worries im used to it

Thanks for your comment

Seriously though the 953 is literally too good for winter. The problem is I had it specced with cosmics and in the wind there not good. Okay for time trialling from say Ilkeston to Matlock and back but its a winter hack i need.

Ive removed the comment at the end of my post
    Sorry about that but ive just had to clean the bianchi as it was very dirty after yesterday. Not the best job in the world, cleaning a bianchi in this weather

I would post a picture of my Rourke but how do you put an image on here ??
  • 853 is pretty stiff and probably wouldn't rde much different to your 953

If you're after another steel bike for winter I'd recommend 631 - I'm sure Rourke will knock you one up. I had one made by Bob Jackson. Specced oversize tubing, fillet brazed (ie lugless) with hidden headset. I also had mudguard clearance and mudguard bosses fitted. I've had it three years now and is still going strong. In fact I still use it in the summer when it pisses it down :)

Big respect to any fell runners after reading 'Head in the Clouds' 8)
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • I think it depends on the tubes, I think that you can get three differant types of 853. Talk to Brian he may recommend something differant for a winter bike, maybe even a mix of tubes. My 853 millenium frame was as harsh as many aluminium frames I've had but that was mostly down to the geometry and the aero down tube.
    Love my 953, it rides like no other bike I've had. but like you it breaks my heart to ride it in bad weather, I'm either on my old Edison 531ST or my new Kenisis Decade when the weather turns bad.
    Best of luck finding the right frame.
  • darren H
    Yes thanks mate
    completed my Bob Graham round in 22hrs 15mins. FITC is a good read

There will be a film made about the Bob Graham round and Im told I will be in it. Ive a large tattoo of the Moot Hall on my back and its been filmed :) .

Got out of cycling for a few years and technology moves on quickly. Im hoping the 853 will last me years.
    Never thought about 631.

Im told by Brian that he will alter the dimensions slightly to allow me a more sit up ride.
    My tech idea when I talked to him was ( ah Brian just chop an inch off the top tube)
    He looked at me and said ( Darren thats massive , leave it with me).

I think he laughed
    He is a good guy is Brian and compared to other bike shops ive used they have no idea
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    darren H wrote:

For winter use I have a Van Nic Yukon which is about the price of a top-end 853 but has at least as good a ride. Titanium is perfect for winter since it cannot corrode in any way.

FWIW, my two other bikes are 853 so I'm familier with the ride quality. But it depends how they're built. One is a Raleigh 853 racing frame and flies. The other was built by Chas Roberts for audax riding and is still stiff, but more relaxed and comfortable.

- JimW
  • darren H wrote:
    Yes thanks mate
    completed my Bob Graham round in 22hrs 15mins. FITC is a good read

There will be a film made about the Bob Graham round and Im told I will be in it. Ive a large tattoo of the Moot Hall on my back and its been filmed :) .

Jeez. Hats off to you fella. Look forward to seeing the film.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!