Fixed gear- viable alternative?

CTank
CTank Posts: 46
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
After wanting one for a while, I ordered a Condor Tempo recently. However, the long delivery time allows plenty of time for buyer's remorse to set in! This was exacerbated when I went for a quick 25 miles on a geared bike yesterday. Christmas has taken it's toll, and I was glad of having a lower gear to drop into for the climbs.

Now I'm worried that having one gear is just too limiting for covering any worthwhile distances or gradients. I'm not in terrible shape, but I'm not sure I can cope with not having gears to make things a little easier.

Any comments or advice?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Having ridden fixed back in the day, I wouldn't particularly want one now but if I did get one I would just get on with it.

You'll be fine once you adapt.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I to had second thoughts after ordering a SS/fixed but 4 months on I am hooked. My riding(especially hill climbing) has come on leaps and bounds, so much so some of my club mates have been commenting on it. If you get the gearing right you will be ok, I use a 48/18(70 inches) combo and find it a good compromise between hills and flat riding although a little short for the flat out sprint for the cake stop!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I have had a Langster for 18months with 48/18 gearing.

Still not got around to trying it out yet though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I have a Cinelli/Bootleg Mystic Rat SS (48x18) through C2W and in summer will do my commute at least twice a week on it, 41 mls each way - you will get used to it. I use my geared bike rest of week. The first few times on the SS, a couple of the hills made me really work for it, but towards end of summer I swapped rear for 16. It really changed my riding with much higher cadence down hill and strength up them :-) Just keep at it, it is worth it. Just watch your knees as too tough a hill or too big a gear will strain them.
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    I rode my geared bike the other day and found myself looking for lower gears on a number of occaisions. On my fixed the gear is never too high, never too low. (Okay, so "rarely" not "never").
    So, if you have realised that you're spending money you can't afford, then by all means cancel. IF you're concerned about only having one gear, don't be.
  • agreed - i never miss gears when riding singlespeed/fixed, or, at this time of year, the maintenance or wear and tear. I have a condor tempo and would urge you to hold out for the tempo rather than go for a more mass market alternative with a shorter waiting list
  • CTank
    CTank Posts: 46
    Thanks for all the advice. I should just wait for it to turn up, and suck it and see, I guess!

P.S, ChunkyCyclist- Kudos for that commute, that's some distance to do on a working day!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I love my fixed - just don't go too high !
  • I'd say stick with your choice. I've been riding fixed for 5 years now, I don't have a geared bike at all. It's been a revelation for me and I love the way a fixed bike rides.

In some ways it will average out a ride; climb faster than geared (certainly that's what I've found) but descend slower as there's a limit to cadence. But it's amazing how you learn to be flexible with that one gear and the freedom from wondering whether or not to change down/up another gear is bliss.

I haven't regretted a single ride with my fixed wheel!
  • if you're worried about the gears buy some more sprockets / chain rings and play with the ratios. I'm riding about 80 miles a week on 66" (45x18). I can make it up the 1Km 8% hill and sit fairly comfortably at 25 mph in a group. I find my legs spinning more when I ride gears the rest of the week and miss engaging my legs in a bit of braking.

When I'm feeling a little stronger I'll go back to 48x18 and I plan on stepping it up, to time trial fixed for the first few months of the season at least.
  • I find that I tend to use my Fixie and my MTB ss when I don't have a great deal of time for a ride, seem to get a much better workout then when riding geared. But then I am a lazy rider and tend to go down a gear if I can!
  • dont worry, you'll enjoy it. i started riding a fixed gear bike at the start of the winter and have grown to love the feel of it. i wasnt sure i would take to it at the begining so got a flip flop hub and freewheel sprocket as an alternative. i tried the freewheel once and found it boring so changed over straight away.

re gear ratios i'm now riding 48-19 and thats ok for winter spinning - though rode down to brighton from london on 48-15 without much difficulty (apart from ditchling beacon :lol: )

trust me, when the option of gears isnt there, you dont miss it - and the extra pull on the legs is worth it for the condition you get, the smoother pedaling style and the fun.
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...