Bought my first rollers....

Iwingstein
Iwingstein Posts: 111
edited January 2010 in MTB general
...Tacx Antares today. Yes I know they're budget, but so's my bike!

Anyway, set them up in the kitchen (as you do), then went and got the bike from garage. Spent another 5 minutes adjusting spacing to fit my bike, jumped on, started pedalling and............fell off, well cycled off.

Anyway, this went on for another 5 mins or so and I've gradually got the hang of it, but god it's hard work.

Far harder than a "sensible" road ride. I also bought a magnet thing for it, which might have to wait till I'm fitter before it gets fitted :D

Anyway, gonna get the fan from the shed later and get myself set up in the garage and have a good half hour out there.

Oh yeah, I'm using my Giant Boulder on oe knobblies :D

ATB

Simon

Comments

• OK recovered now.

They are so much harder than riding on the road. I did 4 miles in 1/2 hour whereas I'd have done 8 on the road, and was very very hot. Deffo need a fan setting up.

Do others agree they are more difficult?

Cheers
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Put your pressures up a tad, make sure that the rollers are free-spinning, not bound, and then put your rollers in a doorway. This will block the doorway, but it'll allow you to lean on the doorframe rather than just fall off. This will allow you to spend more time on your workout and less time on falling off.
  • Alex,

Got the rollers between things and am now fairly confident, my prob is the sheer effort involved in using them. The rollers spin freely if I give them a shove, so I'll try upping pressures (quiet a lot:))

Cheers

Simon
  • They are so much harder than riding on the road.
    erm...
    rollers are a lot easier than a road ride. very very low resistance. You will sweat lots, mind.
  • if your using knobblies then that might be an issue?? 'supposed' to be used with road tyres??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481