Tyre sizes front and rear

ric7481
ric7481 Posts: 103
edited August 2010 in MTB general
have seen a few posts / threads where people talk about running different sizes front and rear.....can anyone shed light on the pro's and con's of this ?

I run a hardtail if that makes a difference, south downs, bridleway type stuff with occasional sandy north downs / surrey hills trails

Comments

• _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    normal situation is a wider front tyre for grip into corners and such and a narrower tyre at the back to dig in and grip.

Personally I run 2,35 up front and 2,1 at the back.
    I change that to 2,35 front and rear for the summer though
    Not really active
  • It's so the front grips, and wont lose traction (& slide out) as quickly as the rear. I personally ride the same size tyre front and rear, as I ride quite aggressively so I use my body weight to get the balance in traction for different conditions- change the tyre tread pattern if anything.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I run a 2.35" up front and a 2.1" out back on my FS.

I find the bike handles better - back end is easier to move around but the front end grips real well. The FS allows you to run a smaller rear tyre as the suspension movement will take some of the sting out of big hits.

On the HT I run 2.0" mud tyres in winter and 2.35" front/rear in the summer if hitting rocky stuff or 2.1" front/rear for smoother single track action.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    on my xc/am ht i run a maxxis ardent 2.25 (which is in reality a little bigger than that) 60a front and a specialized the captain 2.2 70a/60a rear they are both good tyres and the configuration works well
  • mozami
    mozami Posts: 25
    I run WTB nanoraptor 2.1 front and exiwolf 2.3 rear...why? the fatter rear grips better for going up hill and takes more of the sting out of the hardtail...
  • I have 2.1 conti speedkings on a boardman pro HT but I'm tempted by 2.4 mountainkings for additional stability.

If I was to only replace one though as per previous poster I'd be inclined to put on the rear for the comfort factor (obviously the fork takes care of the front).

Anyone else run a wider tyre on the rear?
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I run the following

FS
    2.4 Mountain King Front 2.2 Raceking Rear

HT
    2.1 Speedkings at the moment.

Find that the skinnies on the HT ping off a lot of stuff and dont give me a great deal of confidence on the rocky stuff. However, when the weather turns I think they will obviously be a better bet.

Like the set up on the FS - chunky front end, nice and grippy and moulds to the terrain....fast rolling rear. Rear will be changed to someting a bit more knobbly in the winter (2.2mk last year)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Sometimes the sizes can be misleading. I have a Rocket Ron on the back and a Nic on the front, both 2.25s. The Ron is lower profile than the Nic and although the carcass is the same width, the shoulder lugs on the Nic are bigger so in reality it is taller and wider than the Ron.
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    After getting a bunch of pinch flats and 1 large hole in my back tyre because I had to run with a high pressure to stop the pinch flats I decided to get a wider rear tyre lol

17st seemed to be too much for my 2.1 Panaracer XC fire thingies so I fitted a 2.35 Panaracer Rampage on the back and got a nice thick DH tube and I havent had any problems as yet *touch wood*
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    phal44 wrote:
    After getting a bunch of pinch flats and 1 large hole in my back tyre because I had to run with a high pressure to stop the pinch flats I decided to get a wider rear tyre lol

17st seemed to be too much for my 2.1 Panaracer XC fire thingies so I fitted a 2.35 Panaracer Rampage on the back and got a nice thick DH tube and I havent had any problems as yet *touch wood*

You should try fittin some self sealing inner tubes and see how u get on with them. I was sick of getting punctures commuting to and from work everyday on my bike, i had 3 in one week not so long back and it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Ive fitted a set of self sealing tubes and (so far...) no punctures :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    phal44 wrote:

can anyone else hear that?

pfsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • phal44
    jayson wrote:
    phal44 wrote:

You should try fittin some self sealing inner tubes and see how u get on with them. I was sick of getting punctures commuting to and from work everyday on my bike, i had 3 in one week not so long back and it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Ive fitted a set of self sealing tubes and (so far...) no punctures :D

Had two slime ones and I got a rather large hole in my back tyre. The slime kinda sealed it but only till I got home. The next day it just pissed out green stuff everywhere lol. To be fair it was a fairly large slice in the tyre and went through and made a 4-5mm slice into the inner tube. Now I have fatter tyres/thicker inner tubes and one of those panaracer kevlar thingy strips in my back tyre lol.
  • phal44
    cee wrote:
    phal44 wrote:

can anyone else hear that?

pfsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

:D

oi lol :(
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I run a 2.2 s Works The Captain on the front and a 2.0 S Works Fast Trak LK on the rear. Both tyres are fairly light and roll fast, but the slimmer rear tyre breaks sooner than the front so slides are control and predictable.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i run a 2.4 nobby nic up front for grip and a 2.25 racing ralph on back as its lighter, rolls faster,

size is not too much of a factor on the back but wouldnt go less than 2.1", its how fast the tyre rolls and weight more than anything.