What tyres is everyone using

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Conti Spike Claw 240 on the winter commuter hybrid, grips all but the very thickest ice, still scary stuff riding over sheet ice, took them off road today along a banked narrow frozen mud & grass trail, they held like super glue which was more that I could say for my shoes when I stopped to open a gate.

30226.jpg

There's one stretch of this trail that has double sided thorn bushes which the local farmer keeps trimmed all year, leaving the off cut for us cyclists, now I've had my share of PF from that trail so I choose my path carefully, which made no difference yesterday, sure enough a 6in twig covered in the thorn barbs got caught in my front wheel embedding several, when I pulled them out.... nothing! no flat not even a hole, bizarre!

The testing continues tomorrow.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Thanks for the replies - I was thinking more of roads that are fairly clear but probably hiding some sneaky patches of ice / frost. I very much doubt I'd ride to work if the roads were covered in snow and ice, even with those studded tyres! (Maybe I'm just a wuss). On 'normal' roads is it then a case of just keeping the bike upright, tip-toeing around every bend and crossing one's fingers?

Thanks again...
  • Do try Michelin Pro Race 3s if you believe that your rear wheel tyre changing technique could do with a bit of refinement. You'll have plenty of practice. :twisted:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thanks for the replies - I was thinking more of roads that are fairly clear but probably hiding some sneaky patches of ice / frost. I very much doubt I'd ride to work if the roads were covered in snow and ice, even with those studded tyres! (Maybe I'm just a wuss). On 'normal' roads is it then a case of just keeping the bike upright, tip-toeing around every bend and crossing one's fingers?

Thanks again...

Pretty much. :) Reducing the psi in your slicks won't help on ice. I've recently found it easier to handle my on an icy/slushy surface using reduced psi in my 30mm cyclo-cross tyres, but I was still slipping around an awful lot.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Has anyone tried the Bontrager Hardcases? The LBS's I've asked recently have without exception recommended Marathon Plus first and these second as the best commuting tyres.

They are a lot lighter and presumably easier to fit and faster than the Marathons, but I'm sure are less puncture proof. What would the grip be like being slicks?

I've found them for sale at £12 each on the net as well, although I'm not sure they are the latest model.
  • fossyant wrote:
    Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons 23mm for the commute for the fixed, Pro Race for the 2 road bikes.

Very impressed with the contis for grip in the wet, and 'deflation' protection.

I'm running these on one bike and am well impressed.

On the hack I'm running Schwalbe blizzardsand they've been great too, no fairy visits and low rolling resistance too.

Prior to that I had bontrager hardcase which never punctured, i only replaced them with the blizzards due to a massive bald patch that developed on the rear tyre.

Worst tyres for pf visits are gp 4000s ime.