Kona Stinky 07 WIP

Polyrhythms
Polyrhythms Posts: 23
edited April 2011 in Your mountain bikes
This has been my little project for the last few months. Bought the frame off the bay, forks from CRC and other parts from all manner of places. Next on the list are new cranks (Raceface maybe?) and a stiffer spring as this one is a bit floppy for me. This is my first full suss by the way, so any advice/tips are welcome!

Pics:
p2270039.jpg

Frame: Kona Stinky 07
Forks: Marzocchi 66s
Bars: Sunline 710mm
Stem: Kona
Headset: FSA
Grips: Odi

Brakes: Avid Juicy 7s
Shifters: Alivio
Cables: XTR
Front Mech: SLX
Rear Mech: XT

Seat: WTB
Cranks: SLX
Chain: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano
Pedals: Kona Jackshit

Front Wheel: Mavic

Back Wheel: WTB

Tyres: Spesh Chunders

Weight: A lot

Comments

• coming along nicely chap :wink:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Both are very good.
    I like my saints, I'd never change them.

But the SLX stuff is far far too good to ignore at that price.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    the saint is just a crank arm and BB combo. you would have to buy chain rings and bash ring seperatly
  • Good point, didn't see that!
    Will probably go for the SLX then, though I'll have to get a bb as well.
    Ideas?
  • jay12
    Good point, didn't see that!
    Will probably go for the SLX then, though I'll have to get a bb as well.
    Ideas?
    the SLX comes with a shimano SLX BB. so it's all there. and it's a very good chainset and cheaper than the saint
  • Ah, excellent. That isn't advertised very well!

Any other suggestions before I click "buy"? 8)
  • Ordered the SLX set, should be arriving in a few minutes :P

Think I shall get the lbs to fit them, as the frame needs facing too. :wink:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    nice, the slx stuff looks nice but the saints just look totally pimp! i got some raceface evolve dh cranks off ebay earlier this year for £60 in barely used condition, great bargain, i'd have highly reccommended them.

i think you should look at a new shorter stem too, no more than 50mm, it will improve the handling a fair bit, more direct steering. Also i tend to like quite flat bars on a downhill ride, especially as the forks make the ride so high anyway. I'd reccommend truvativ hussefelt stuff, very cheap, not especially pretty but it gets the job done.

Also i'd go singlespeed up front with a chain guide (superstar do a good one for about £30, i just ordered one) and get a better rear shifter, SLX or XT or something, you'll notice a difference in your shifting. what rear mech are you running?

nice bike though, looks like it should come together nicely.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jay12
  • Cheers :)
    Yeah a few of the parts (bars, shifters) were from my old GT, I put them on the Kona just as a stopgap until I acquire more funds :P
    The rear mech is XT, and the cables are XTR, it shifts like a dream :shock: but I guess new shifters can't hurt.

Just a thought, I could do with new goggles for my fullface, recommendations? :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    as long as you're happy with it, new stem for definite though.
    Oakley do some cheap goggles, i've never tried them though.

EDIT: i have a black truvativ hussefelt stem for sale if you're interested - £12 posted
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Just a thought, I could do with new goggles for my fullface, recommendations? :lol:

Yeah, these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29398

Just bought some - great price :D

Bike is coming along well, I like it.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Whytepeak wrote:
    Yeah, these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29398

Just bought some - great price :D

Bike is coming along well, I like it.

Yeah they look awesome, might try some out :)
    Took her out for a little ride this afternoon, she rides great! Suspension is really plush, big difference from my old GT. Strange noise coming from the brakes though...

Edit: "Item discontinued", bugger.
  • Took some snaps while I was out riding today :)

p3030047.jpg
    p3030042.jpg
    p3030043.jpg
    p3030048.jpg
    p3030044.jpg
  • Raymie
    Raymie Posts: 25
    great pics fella and nice bike 8)
  • bones3027
    bones3027 Posts: 152
    nice, where these pics from looks quite epic
  • Just in and around Woodbury Common in Devon. The last picture is from highest point (to the right in the far distance is Exeter) and the view up there is awesome 8) that's just a small section of what you can see :o
  • Some shiny things arrived in the post today :D

SLX Chainset:
    p3070001.jpg

Spy goggles:
    p3070003u.jpg
  • jay12
    gotta love te slx chainset. great purchase
  • Chainset finally fitted, huge improvement. Good service from the lbs too, had the frame faced and everything setup in under two hours, went back and got it the same day! Everything feels true and sturdy as hell, can't wait to give it a proper thrashing up haldon hill.

p3140003w.jpg
    p3140004.jpg

Pretty boring pictures, so I thought I'd throw this one in too from a while ago :D

p3030041.jpg
  • SLX chainsets do look good, glad to hear they perform too. I quite fancy one for my coiler. Really nice bike that, I like it.
  • ilovedirt
    sweet, i just got the slx dual chainset (removed the bash and granny ring though) t'other day, all fitted and stuff now, waiting for my new cassette and i can go ride! i'll take some pics this weekend probably. It's a really nice looking chainset in person, looks like it will stay nice looking for a while too because of the bare metal where your feet rub. nice.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Yeah I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out, only I'm itching to go out and ride and I have no flipping spare time :roll:
    Ilovedirt, is that for your Scott? That thing looks like it's a lot of fun to ride... and I've just noticed the suspension works backwards? :shock:
  • ilovedirt
    aye it is indeed, it's a lovely bike, will hit anything you point it at, proper do-it-all trail machine. It's had a few upgrades since that pic though, new ones this weekend.
    And yep! it's a four bar linkage like your kona, but the shock is in a different place in the linkage, it's a pull shock, works really well, could do with a service though :(
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Polyrhythms
    Polyrhythms Posts: 23
    edited January 2011
    Been a while, but my trusty kona is still going strong. It's had a frame rebuild, with new bearings fitted (the old ones were knackered, I'm suprised they even worked); a new rear wheel built...

1001179.jpg

...and a new stem.

1001180p.jpg

Also in the post are some braided hoses and a new chain.
    Cheers
  • Not bad man, lovely looking frame. The colour is quite nice, just needs more bling!
  • I agree its pretty plain as it is. What would you change if it was yours?
  • Mostly just small parts, things like spacers, top cap, bar end protectors, seat clamp and a few bolts to brighten it up.
  • Still going strong after a year and a bit. It may not be shiny (the frame is four years old) but its still a dream to ride and fun as hell. I've put some braided hoses on, and the chain is being replaced today. I may also plump for a stiffer spring if I can find one, as I'm getting a bit too heavy for a 250. Enjoy:

imgp1518v.jpg

imgp1519.jpg

imgp1520w.jpg

imgp1521o.jpg