How many times do you

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Clean out your water bottle of it you happen to have one of those packs ???

Once a week , once a fortnight or after every use ?

Comments

• The bladder in a hydration pack? After every use for me.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    hmmm, well I kinda rinse before each use, which isn't ideal

Give it a 'proper' wash out every month or so

And really get in there with the cleaning tablets etc 3-4 times a year.

I used to store it in the freezer, scrub it every use and all that jazz, but it kinda let it slip.

I've gotta get a new one, the paramedics cut off the last one. The new 'freeride style' ones look good.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    After every use.
  • Rinse and freezer after every ride.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    i drink out of a puddle during rides.
    saves loads of weight carrying water around.
    :wink:
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    P-Jay wrote:

I've gotta get a new one, the paramedics cut off the last one. The new 'freeride style' ones look good.

Free ride style ???
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    BurtonM wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

Free ride style ???

Style as in looks, I don't think there's anything especially gnarly about them

Link below.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/n ... lbak-24403
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Rinse and dry after use then a a proper clean every three months or so, I intend to do it every month but I usually forget :shock:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Water bottle after every use, i'm not keen on stale whiskey.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    biff55 wrote:
    i drink out of a puddle during rides.
    saves loads of weight carrying water around.
    :wink:

LOL - you dog!
    Not really active
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    I tend to rinse out my hydration pack before each ride as I'm usually too knackered to do it after a ride
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • never - I only fill it with tap water
  • I've only had mine since Xmas and have used it once and been wondering the same thing.

Given the hydra pack are airtight, I'd have thought they wouldn't need cleaning that much (using tapwater to drink).

I'll going on my new rollers later, so may take it on there with me, and give it a rinse tomorrow
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Rinse and freezer after every ride.

+1
  • PaulBarman wrote:
    never - I only fill it with tap water

+1

:P
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    PaulBarman wrote:
    never - I only fill it with tap water

+2

i think if people fill their reseviours/bottles/etc with energy drinks, they'll need cleaning properly. I only use water, so i just rinse it out each time.
  • hydration pack gets rinsed out but as its only filled with water its normally when i go to fill it and remember i forgot to empty it! :wink:
    bottle every ride as if used with bag it'll have energy drink in it,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    FAO the guys who think they are OK because they only use tap water, i'd bet a fair bit on there being black/green crap lining the tube after a few months use. I thought my skiing one was completely clean, until i rolled back the neoprene tube cover. It was fillled with mouldy gunk.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Quick rinse then stick it in the freezer till the next ride.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • BlackSpur wrote:
    FAO the guys who think they are OK because they only use tap water, i'd bet a fair bit on there being black/green crap lining the tube after a few months use. I thought my skiing one was completely clean, until i rolled back the neoprene tube cover. It was fillled with mouldy gunk.

He's right, but I still don't bother as often as if adviseable. I stick a capful of Milton's sterilising fluid in it every couple of months and leave it overnight.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Whenever I open it and throw up at the smell.

Thankfully my other half likes cleaning. :D
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • After a ride I just leave what's left in there. Before a ride I drain the water and refill it. It hasn't killed me yet!!
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    for cleaning i use either milton liquid, bicarbonate of soda with vinegar or lime juice for bottles & scrub inside and cap bit.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    An hour before each ride. I keep a 2 litre of ice water in the fridge also.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Fill it, ride/drink, empty it, freezer, fill it, ride/drink, empty it, freezer, fill it...

You get the idea ;)
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    i empty it out, rinse and dry it, then put it in the fridge

gets a proper clean twice a year
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • I scrape the worst of the algae out a couple of times a year.
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    I only use water in mine too and usually leave the water in it and then rinse it out thoroughly before each ride. I recon a fair bit of bacteria couild stillb get in via your mouth into the valve when open, so on a couple of occasions I have rinsed the valve, tube and bag with listerine anti bacterial mouthwash and then thoroughly rinsed to get rid of the minging taste.
    I haven't done it for a while though and I have noticed lately that, even and rinsing, the water has a bit of a metallic taste to it and my guess was that this could be due to the silver ion compound used as an anti bacterial agent during manufacture.