MTB for Xmas gift - now what? :D

skull_kid
skull_kid Posts: 6
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Well I kinda mentioned getting a bike and getting into biking as I’ve not ridden a bike for years and I wanted to get fit. Anyway, for Xmas my folks kindly bought me a full suspension mountain bike which, with the untrained eye looks to have all the bells and whistles (disc brakes, Revoshift Shimano gears, big wheels, fat treads etc). However, I have no idea on how to maintain it – simply do I just wash it with a hose after getting mud all over it? Or do I need to oil anything up?

Also, am I just best off chucking on some old gear and going out into the forest and riding? I have no idea if there are any good mountain bike paths/routes around my way (Hatfield forest) or if I need to take any particular precautions?

I’m just eager to get out there and start grazing my elbows and eating some dirt. In all seriousness I want to be able to take on jumps, fly down hills and take on some difficult terrain. :D

Comments

• Haynes bike bookwill cover your basic maintenance needs. This site is a bit clunky but should give you some ideas.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    after a ride you should be cleaning your bike and have a quick post ride fettle.

I would recomend getting

wd40
    chain lube
    degreaser
    old bottle.
    good set of alan keys
    chain breaker
    car alloy brush.
    bike cleaner

After a muddy ride pop off the chain and put it in the old bottle and just cover it with degreaser, put that to one side.

hose down the bike and spray with cleaner. ( pay plenty of attention to moving parts suspention and drive) use plenty of action with hte brush to get rid of the mud.

take out the chain and run through an old rag. then relube the chain and again run though the rag. ( doing your best not to get lube on the outside of the chain.)

Bob the chanin back on then check that suspention works well. Brakes are non spungey and plenty for material left on the break pads. Then pop away for thex time.

Good mantinace saves money in the long run. I see the 20 min to clean your bike as a good cool down period b4 you head in and get a protine based snack nown your neck and have a good shower.

hope that helps.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Thanks my man! Just had a look and nothing located in my forest which is local to me, so I'll go explore it for myself and see if i can find anything. I remember the open grassy areas to be VERY VERY boggy during the winter, so I could get stuck. :lol:

Someone mentioned to me make sure I get some good gloves and decent footwear.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Helmet 1st, then gloves/footwear/tools/lubes etc
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Andy_B wrote:
    Helmet 1st, then gloves/footwear/tools/lubes etc

agreed! helmet 1st buddy 8)
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • I bought the Haynes Guide which is OK but I found the best (and cheapest) way to learn is to look at some of the YouTube vids for maintenance.

There is a lot of decent people out there who have put some great tips on the net and taken time to record a vid.

Just basic stuff like how to properly clean a derailleur or how to change spokes and tru up the wheel, etc.
  • With regards to routes in the area, grab yourself an OS map of the area, or take a look on this website; www.bikehike.co.uk - It will give you an idea of what is legally rideable in the area and help string a route together for you.

As already mentioned, don't forget a helmet!
  • Get your self a park hexus multi-tool, has most of the things you need and small anouth to put in your pocket when out riding....this is the cheapest place to buy and he will eccept an offer of £9 so £11.50 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
  • marabou
    marabou Posts: 36
    I`ve found this site to be excellent:

http://bicycletutor.com/
  • beany123
    beany123 Posts: 133
    after a ride you should be cleaning your bike and have a quick post ride fettle.

I would recomend getting

wd40
    chain lube
    degreaser
    old bottle.
    good set of alan keys
    chain breaker
    car alloy brush.
    bike cleaner

After a muddy ride pop off the chain and put it in the old bottle and just cover it with degreaser, put that to one side.

hose down the bike and spray with cleaner. ( pay plenty of attention to moving parts suspention and drive) use plenty of action with hte brush to get rid of the mud.

take out the chain and run through an old rag. then relube the chain and again run though the rag. ( doing your best not to get lube on the outside of the chain.)

Bob the chanin back on then check that suspention works well. Brakes are non spungey and plenty for material left on the break pads. Then pop away for thex time.

Good mantinace saves money in the long run. I see the 20 min to clean your bike as a good cool down period b4 you head in and get a protine based snack nown your neck and have a good shower.

hope that helps.

might strugglw finding alan keys!!!
    Giant Trance 1

Live to ride
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279

I would recomend getting

wd40
    chain lube
    degreaser
    old bottle.
    good set of alan keys
    chain breaker
    car alloy brush.
    bike cleaner

hope that helps.

I wouldn't agree with all of that, but the idea is sound!

I wouldn't soak a chain every ride. A bit of fresh lube and a rage to get the muck off the surface, then once clean re-lube. Alternatively take it off and scrub it.

I'd also eat post-ride before cleaning, and put on some dry kit, although that depends on where you do the cleaning. Rinse of the worst of the mud. The bike doesn't need to be spotless, as long as the suspension and drivetrain are clean you wont go far wrong.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Bike cleaning is mostly obvious stuff. However make SURE not to get any lube on your disk brakes EVER as you'll contaminate the pads and then they're useless to you.
  • I'm assuming you mean Hatfield Forest in Takley. If so, I'm just down the road in Stansted and have also just git back into MTBing after a long break. For some great first rides, check out the Flitch Way, Birchanger Wood and the path beside the Stort to Harlow and beyond. If you see a guy on a chrome Merlin panting and swearing, say hi. PM me if you fancy meeting up for a ride. I have a limited knowledge but can offer help and tools if you need a hand.
    My Amp Goes Up to Eleven
    2010 Merlin Malt 1
    2000 KHE Beater
  • Thanks for the advice folks.

PM'd Audiophile. :)
  • evade
    evade Posts: 115
    If you're a booky type, these are great:

Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1931 ... _sim_01_02

Mastering Mountain Bike Skills
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Mount ... 622&sr=1-1