Lumilite/Magic Shine Pushbutton colour

CFS
CFS Posts: 124
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Received my Lumilite (MagicShine) light today.

Charged the battery until the charger LED went green (although there is still a very slight hint of orange), about 4 hours.

When I connect the pack to the light it seems to work but the pushbutton is still red which I thought was a low battery indication.

Should it go green ?

Gonna charge it a bit longer but thought 4 hours was about right.

Thanks
Shot by both sides...

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    what voltage does the pack output. It should be 8.4v charged
  • CFS
    I get 8.03V out the charger and 7.98V at the pack.

But these are not load voltages so not sure how valid they are.

The charger says it is 8.5V +/- 0.5V so technically it seems to be in spec.

Could be the button on the light unit, not sure it always works correctly. Need to see what Lumilite say, at least they will be quicker than DX.
    Shot by both sides...
  • CFS
    Battery pack lasted about 40 mins on fulll power after 6+ hours charging so it's most likely either the battery or the charger.
    Shot by both sides...
  • CFS
    Charger has now gone flash/pop :roll:
    Shot by both sides...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Sounds like they are selling the same "smart" chargers as BOB/DX?

If you have a variable ampage and voltage charger you could try 1 hour at 8.4/8.5v at 1amp and then drop to 8v for 1hour at 300ma - check the voltage every half hour, and monitor the temp. It will be the 2nd which are the risky times.

I think there is a real market in 18650 4 cell holders, because then you could make up your own pack and charge with a conventional 18650 charger. It would actually be quite easy to make and a lot cheaper than paying 10 quid for a turbowasit

alternatively - any old laptops kicking around? (they have all you need to make both smart charger and pack)
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I've posted this in another thread, but I've received notification from BOB that the lamp switch LED won't turn green at all :shock:

Here are some general instructions with regard to the product HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO) 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set (Model: E16288):
    1. Please note that the LED on the charger will remain red and it will not turn green. For a full recharge, please charge it for about 3 hours. We do not recommend for charging longer than this duration.
    2. Please note that the manufacturer has upgraded the hardware and the color of the switch will not turn green either. It will be red regardless the charge on the battery.
  • CFS
    Lumilite have told me the same thing today about the switch staying red.

Not sure how that constitutes an upgrade? Change of component more like.
    Shot by both sides...