how fragile are...

M1llh0use
M1llh0use Posts: 863
edited December 2009 in MTB buying advice
carbon bars and stems?

got a bunch of vouchers to spend and the only thing i can see is a carbon bar/stem combo but i'm not the lightest bloke on kit so is it worth the risk of breakage against the weight saving??
{insert smartarse comment here}

Comments

• Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I would expect them to be at least as durable as alloy bars and stems for their intended purpose ie if they say they are xc bars then I wouldn't try to use them for downhill or dirt jumping.

if they weren't up to the job then a) they wouldn't sell many and b) they'd lay themselves open to a lot of compensation claims.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends what they are designed for.

Carbon bars can be lighter or made stronger, but stems I see little advantage given the massive price increase over a regular alloy stem.
  • ok guys tahnaks for the replies, just double check what is available from said shop and the stems are daft long so will not be buying at the moment..
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Carbon stems are a waste of time, usually heavier and far more expensive than their alu counterparts, with no discernible advantage.

Carbon bars are usually stronger and lighter than alu ones, particularly if you go for a decent brand.