Garage Bike Lock...

Scrumple
Scrumple Posts: 2,665
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
Not bothered about a carry lock, as I never leave my bike anywhere I can't see it / isn't safe. Unless there is a particular lock most of you carry about??

I'm after a thing for the garage, or if I take it away somewhere.

Bit worried that Evans rubbished just about everything on their shelf, and seemed to not really know which ones worked!

I KNOW there are huge threads on here, but to be honest they are hard to decipher if you aren't a lock geek in London. I'm just after your staple home/travel keepsafe.

Price... whatever it takes!

Cheers

Comments

• Something like this or this and maybe one of these for the garage?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I bought a hardened steel chain and a biga$$ padlock from my local locksmith. It's the sort of thing you'd normally use to secure a motorbike and weighs a ton. Ask them for advice and as a bonus you'll find that the cost is way less than a specific bike lock.

I then made up a concrete beam with a couple of holes through it (and complete with rebar), and just chain my bike to the concrete beam. I've heard of people doing similar things with barrels or large boxes. Just put piping thro' whatever container you use, before you pour the cement. Alternatively you could buy a ground anchor, and secure it to that but this wasn't really an option for me.

It's probably a good idea to make sure your garage door is secure as well.
  • i bought a masterlock kit from B&Q when it was on sale, normally 30quid i think

2 huges securiy bolts to fix a bracket to the wall and a big ass chain that loops through your bike and through the bracket. well worth the cash i splashed
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    acidstrato wrote:
    i bought a masterlock kit from B&Q when it was on sale, normally 30quid i think

2 huges securiy bolts to fix a bracket to the wall and a big ass chain that loops through your bike and through the bracket. well worth the cash i splashed

+1
  • Scrumple
    Come on chaps and chapettes....

What locks your bike up in your bikenest ???
  • Abus Granite hex chain and closed shackle lock (same as I nail down my Yamaha with :) ) attached to mother earth through a hardened shackle, bolted to the floor with sealed-head Rawlbolts. And my garage door makes Fort Knox look like a wendy house :D If they get through the door then good luck to `em having a go at anything else.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    I don't own one, but I understand that these are the daddy of chain locks:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Check out their bolt cropping exploits on youtube too (vids also on their website), they're quite enlightening!
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    PS Abus Granite vs bolt-croppers = 25seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpf35C7wu6Q
  • Pragmasis chain & anchor + Squire padlock here. Very similar to the Almax setup. I've got the 13mm setup.

Most of the bike specific ones you'll get through in a couple of minutes with a battery angle grinder or simple brute force. The Pragmasis or Almax are still defeatable, but they'll probably need mains powered kit and a few cutting discs.

If you're keeping your bikes in the garage - its very worth making sure you don't keep your power tools in the same place!
  • The chains I`ve got now called Abus Super-Magnum (used to be called Granit) with 12mm hexagon links and closed-shackle locks. Cost me over £150 each when I bought them over 10 years ago. Weigh a bloddy ton :shock:

www.lockitt.com/chain2.htm#ChainAbusSuperMagnum

That U-tube video of the City X "Granit" chain is an eye-opener.

• Scrumple
    huuregeil wrote:

Check out their bolt cropping exploits on youtube too (vids also on their website), they're quite enlightening!

I'm liking!
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Scrumple wrote:
    huuregeil wrote:

I'm liking!

I've got a couple of them based on the video (one I bought on-ine, the other from a bloke in work). They are very heavy indeed. I wonder how the locks would stand up to a lock-pick thingy. :?
  • Scrumple
    You can't pick locks like that. Trust me (not in under some hours!).

I was looking at the NY faghettaboutit (?) but the video put me off. I hope the video is't selective in what they do, and the Almax one really does resist attack much better. It is a no brainer if they do. Over £100 for the NY or over £100 for the ones they sell... DUH! They look like getting my cash.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Scrumple wrote:
    You can't pick locks like that. Trust me.

Nice and re-assuring, Ta. Just need to make the outbuilding (with my bikes) a bit more secure.
    It has a upvc door (like my front door) but I'm still paranoid about it being broken into.
  • De Sisti wrote:
    Scrumple wrote:
    You can't pick locks like that. Trust me.

Nice and re-assuring, Ta. Just need to make the outbuilding (with my bikes) a bit more secure.
    It has a upvc door (like my front door) but I'm still paranoid about it being broken into.

If the building is brick / stone / concrete you`re half-way there. UPVC doors aren`t strong enough, have you seen one with the panel kicked through !
    :(
    I made a new door from steel for my bike garage (it only has a single door as it`s 12 foot square with no windows) made the door from 3" box section steel for the frame, skinned the outside with 1/4" steel plate, the door- frame is 3" x 1/4" thick angle section steel rawl-bolted tinto the brickwork and floor in 10 places, the door hinges are super-duty ball-bearing type and the two locks are dead-bolt types that run through the steel frame and 2" into the brickwork when locked. Had the lot powder-coated before hanging it (the powder coater had a nightmare lifting it onto his jig to do it :lol: ) It closes with a satisfying "clunk" just like a Golf :wink: I`m not paranoid or anything, and it`s not a rough area either, just that motorcycle theft was a"problem" in the late 90`s.

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have a NY faghettaboutit and an Almax 3 (+ squire padlock). The Almax is much beefier but I had to cut some of the plastic shroud away from the Kryptonite ground anchor for the chain to go through it (the CS at Almax is very good though and the bloke warned me in advance I'd need to). As I have 4 bikes now I'm planning to split them in pairs for convenience and will be getting the defiant anchor + almax 4 chain + squire lock from them. You can certainly buy cheaper but I figure if it's worth spending any money on a bike lock I'd rather peace of mind it's not getting cropped in 30 seconds.
  • Scrumple
    Good to hear from satisfied customers.

I'm calling them tomorrow as my £5 Lidl u bend gives me the heebie jeebies everytime I leave the house and stare at my garage door (about as much use as a chocolate fireguard to protect the prize within).

As for the Lidl lock... could crop it open with a cocktail stick and a limp wrist.

Don't ask for my address....