Holy Klang I 've broken another one

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited December 2009 in MTB general
After issues with taper and ISIS I've always checked that my crank arms are firmly bolted on so I am very, very annoyed that whilst trying to pedal up a very muddy steep slope the non drive side of my LX set up decided to round off the splines on the crank arm and fall off. The shock of it falling off meant I flipped my foot out, so it unclipped from my foot and went flying into the bushes. The only way I could get it back on was by hitting it with a log. So it's completely borked.

So I have to buy another one. :x

So much for fit and forget :evil:
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    its strange that its always the non drive side isnt it?
    i did have a period of doing the same but i must say the hollowtech 2 i havent had an issue with?
    My brother on the other hand did, he hit his crank arm on the way up Whytes, fell off, then had to coast all the way down with no drive!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Torque settings, too tight and you enlarge the hole resulting in it coming loose and falling off, too loose and it comes loose and it falls off. I have never had a newer type crank fail on me.

I was told by an engineer the probable reason for it being the left hand crank arm though, he said it was due to it having less material between the hole and the outer edge, this means it is easier to over-tighten and stretch, which does tie in with the above.
  • spongtastic
    Even worse is that CRC are out of black deores for £50.

Can't be torque settings, as due to the wonderful snap on unit I 'aquired' from work all bolts are properly tightened.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like poor fitting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • spongtastic
    can't see how it would have been poorly fitted. The other two I've got on frames that weren't faced are still going and one's I've fitted for other people are ok. The bearings are still running perfectly and there was no wear on the seals, including the rubber on the crank.

The only thing I can think of is that it had been swapped about a bit which would induce minimal wear on the splines.

Only thing now is to decide whether or not to pay for an SLX.

• Only other suggestion could be to re-check torques after a few rides