Motorcycle News on Bus Routes in London

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Have never had a problem with bikers down here but have just seen this. Sadly it seems some plebs have joined in the debate and are chanting "TAX!! TAX!! TAX!!" :lol:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... ge-biking/
boult wrote:
Bah....

‘The environmental impact is likely to mean more noise, more air pollution, a deterioration of public space, and increased risk for pedestrians and cyclists.'

Likely.....likely?...... not data to back this up then? Just an opinion? Pretty much sums these myopic fools up really.....

28 December 2009 12:54

Why would you need data. A motor makes noise, I only have to stand next to one to hear it, and they definately have emissions (unless they run on compressed air) :lol:

Does seem like a couple of cool bikers on there though, I think they realise we share some of the same problems. 8)

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I do wish that someone, somehow would clear up this stupid tax argument...
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Roastie wrote:

There is no tax arguement. Wanna start one?

Road Tax does not exist. Fact.
    Mechanically powered vehicles pay Vehicle Emission Duty, this goes to general taxation. Fact.
    Roads are paid for by general taxation, that everyone pays. Fact.

No arguement, no problem.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Who are the LCC? How are they funded?
    Been cycling all my life in London and never heard of them!

Motorbikes in bus lanes is the very least of problems cycling in London.
    exercise.png
  • downfader
    TheStone wrote:
    Who are the LCC? How are they funded?
    Been cycling all my life in London and never heard of them!

Motorbikes in bus lanes is the very least of problems cycling in London.
    The London Cycling Campign. Big campaign group for cyclists out there (to put things in perspective Southampton has its own campaign but theres only about 120 members iirc - London has several hundred, organises rides, charity events and insures, they also fight for rights :wink: )

They are paid for like the CTC out of membership.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Roastie wrote:

There is no tax arguement. Wanna start one?

[snip]

No arguement, no problem.

Just because it's stupid doesn't mean it doesn't exist (I present exhibit B: X Factor.) It may be founded on misconceptions but it exists in the minds of WMVs et al.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • I never agreed with LCC's position on this. Motorbikes on bus lanes do not bother at all, it's the bus drivers who should have an opinion, really. Which I'm sure they have, but haven't read anything.

Funny enough, until this resolution came up, I didn't know that cyclists where allowed to use bus lanes during rush hour.
  • downfader
    I never agreed with LCC's position on this. Motorbikes on bus lanes do not bother at all, it's the bus drivers who should have an opinion, really. Which I'm sure they have, but haven't read anything.

Funny enough, until this resolution came up, I didn't know that cyclists where allowed to use bus lanes during rush hour.

I'm sure someone (one of the sheffield lads?) said that there are still a couple of bus lanes offbounds to cyclists.
  • I'm sure someone (one of the sheffield lads?) said that there are still a couple of bus lanes offbounds to cyclists.

I'm not sure it would be a good idea to cycle on that bus lane on the M4 either :wink:

Generally, I've never had a problem with motor bikes - ok, sure, you do see some nutters on 2 wheels but not as many as you see with 4 wheels. You don't often hear of MB riders left-hooking cyclists while talking on their mobile phones. I'd say that the road sense shown by MBs is almost always very good. I'm inclined to think of them as distant cousins.

(Obviously this doesn't apply to pizza delivery suicides who haven't realised that riding like a lunatic will not actually warm up an already cold pizza.)
  • downfader
    I'm sure someone (one of the sheffield lads?) said that there are still a couple of bus lanes offbounds to cyclists.

I'm not sure it would be a good idea to cycle on that bus lane on the M4 either :wink:

Generally, I've never had a problem with motor bikes - ok, sure, you do see some nutters on 2 wheels but not as many as you see with 4 wheels. You don't often hear of MB riders left-hooking cyclists while talking on their mobile phones. I'd say that the road sense shown by MBs is almost always very good. I'm inclined to think of them as distant cousins.

(Obviously this doesn't apply to pizza delivery suicides who haven't realised that riding like a lunatic will not actually warm up an already cold pizza.)

I agree wholeheartedly DFM!! :)