New Santa Cruz Heckler.

Penylope
Penylope Posts: 320
edited May 2011 in Your mountain bikes
WoooHoooo :D Completed my new project yesterday. Here she is, what do you think?

4221409457_5bcbb08f53.jpg

Spec list:
New Santa Cruz Heckler, large with RP23
RS pike 454 dual air

Hope Bulb hubs on mavic D521 rims
WTB Weirwolf tires

Hope headset
Thompson Stem
Easton EA70 bars
NC-17 grips

Thompson seatpost
SDG bel air saddle

Hope M4 brakes, 180mm front 160mm rear.

XT cranks
XT shifters
XT rear mech
XT front Mech
XT cassette
PC991 chain
Goodridge cables

4222173408_f5d75147fc.jpg

4222182074_f02f6590b4.jpg

4221416089_ebb1b55124.jpg

Going out for a play later to get it dirty (if the ground isn't too hard :? ) Cant wait, havent ridden full sus for a few years :shock:
MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
Other, Genesis Croix De Fer

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    really lovely looking bike.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    amazing bike. well done
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    looks nice mate.
  • Penylope
    Thanks for the kind comments folks, it's taken a while to save up the buttons to get it (i've had the cranks and rear mech sat on the shelf for months :shock: ) but i'm well proud of the end result :D

Also a big thanks to my LBS (Worcester Cycle Centre) for hooking me up with the frame and shock, it wasn't straight-forward i can tell you :lol:

It rides like a dream and fits like a glove, cant wait to hit some propper trails this week.
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    Nice ride there man, i went a few years with HT and then went FS earlier this year, massive difference... then again it was 2 different styles of riding soo.
    I'm planning on building up a long travel FR type rig, because i want to enter megavalanche 2011
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Is that a 2010 RP23? Would be interesting to know if it bombs through the travel like other Floats do on the Heckler. I had a set of those Pikes on my Heckler a few months back. Worked OK. Bike looks very nice in white. :)
  • Penylope
    @Weescott.
    Yep, 2010 RP23, but it's off a Blur LT2, so a lighter tune to the one fitted to a Heckler.
    I cant feel the pro-pedal obviously working, even on the highest setting. Only had one proper ride on ot so far (cannock, follow the dog yesterday) so still playing with the pressures a bit but it does feel quite linear all through the travel, could just be me tho :wink:
    I did think about getting it pushed at some point, just to get the best out of it, but i need to put in more miles first :)
  • Looks brilliant in White! Really does look a well specced bike, job well done.
  • Penylope
    Update!
    After keeping the bike the same for almost a year, i have added some choice upgrades over the last few months.

20052011071.jpg

Changed the pedals to shimano DX (V12's gave up the ghost :( ), added a Joplin 4r (prob the best upgrade i've made to any bike, evar! Last but not least, new Rev RLT Ti's fitted and fettled yesterday ready to go. Oooo, and some odi ruffians cos my old grips had worn out.
  • road_donut
    road_donut Posts: 284
    Nice one matey .... looks sweet 8)
  • lillywhite79
    lillywhite79 Posts: 108
    Thats Bang Tidy :D
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    I want one ,really like Hecklers mainly as you dont see them around much.Probably have to sell a kidney or one of the kids first though. :lol:
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Nice ride 8)

Have you thought of swapping the seatpost's gold bits for blue bits ?
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Penylope
    Nice ride 8)

Have you thought of swapping the seatpost's gold bits for blue bits ?

Thanks.

Gold bits for Blue bits? Tell me more, didn't realise you could change the coloured bits TBH.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I've had a quick search and found nothing. I may have been thinking of a different dropper seatpost. Sorry :(
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • bs3eggs
    bs3eggs Posts: 2
    Just whip of the gold bits and send them for anodising probably will cost you 25 pounds and take just over a week total turnaround!
  • bs3eggs
    bs3eggs Posts: 2
    I am in the process of getting my hope x2s done totally gold which is probably too bling!The cost will be around 60 quid including rebuild plus take down, so maybe you should get your brakes done too! :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Lovely machine, only things I'd do is duel ring with a guide and swap the brakes to many horror storeys on them. The frame qualty on the cruz bikes is lovely.
  • Penylope
    Hmmm, could go the anno route, not thought about it TBF.

@Thewaylander
    Next on the list will be 2x10 when funds are available (the old bits will go on my next project),would like some lighter wheels at some point too.
    I've not had any issues with the brakes yet, although again i would like something a bit lighter (not that i will notice the diference that much, but still...).
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    That is a super sweet looking bike. I'd definitely get the Joplin bits ano'd blue, custom bits are the dogs 8)

Odd question, but do you know the weight of the wheels, as I am buying an identical pair. I know it's heavy, but I can't quite work out just how heavy.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Don't go to light on the wheels,bit of stiffness is good