fractured pelvis

gtchunks
gtchunks Posts: 105
edited January 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hi need some advice please,typing this in hospital just wondering if anyone else has fractured there pelvis and gone back to normal riding came of the bike on black ice been in hospital over xmas really depressing as i love riding my bike any advice so very much appreciated cheers andy

Comments

• Just take it easy and listen to what the doc/physio has to say.
    Don't expect to get straight back in there and go easy when you do.

Get well soon fella!
  • gtchunks
    cheers mate. haven't a clue how long though and if eventually everything will be normal i was told it was a stable fracture and because im fit idon't need a operation just 6 weeks of none weight bearing if this helps i don't know if anyone else has experienced this before , thnks again for your kind words
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Top junior rider Luke Grey, fractured his earlier this year racing in Germany, he was off the bike for a few months, but won one of the National Trophy Cross races this winter, so he's obviously come back pretty well!

Chin up.
  • gtchunks
    Thanks for that reply that helped cheer me up
  • gtchunks wrote:
    haven't a clue how long though and if eventually everything will be normal i was told it was a stable fracture and because im fit idon't need a operation just 6 weeks of none weight bearing...

That sounds very positive to me. 6 weeks is a very short time for something like that. I can't tell you anything about it but I don't see any reason you wouldn't get back to 100% if that's the docs verdict. Just be patient and don't go jumping straight into the deep end when it begins to heal. Talk to the doc and see if you can get a physio, even if you have to pay.
  • gtchunks
    Cheers mate thanks for that ,6 weeks seems along time for me who loves his bike i know its going to be hard but i have to see it through as i know it will ruin everytning cheers for all your replys
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Bad luck GT :cry:

I did this in 2001 (fractured acetabulum - the "socket" in the pelvis for the hip bone), and I did it just 2 weeks before a planned trip to Australia! I was bl**dy miserable in hospital. I was also feeling even more unlucky as I had been in and out of hospital the previous year, ending up with having my colon removed and this just seemed like another cruel twist! Like you I had 6 weeks in the hospital bed, non-weight bearing, not allowed to sit up past 30 degrees. No surgery needed. I was discharged using crutches and used these for a further 2 months.

My legs turned to matchsticks during the bed rest. It probably took over a year for them to get back to their former glory.

After coming off crutches the main thing holding me back was fear of the bike! But i soon got over that and within 6 months of the injury I was cycling pretty much as before, and over the years since I have just done more and more. I was followed up with x-rays and consultant appts for 5 years and there is no problem visible. I was told to quit road running (which I used to like) and squash & tennis (they said I was likely to get arthritis from impact sports), but cycling was no problem. I took up sailing to get into another sport 8)

Best of luck GT, it seemed grim at times, but it all came good in the end!
  • gtchunks
    HI alfablue your injury is exactly the same as mine im so glad you have recovered from your injury i hope mine does too it makes me feel depressed at the moment stuck indoors on crutches when all my mates are out riding, all because i slipped off my bike on black ice but your story has cheered me up ,again thanks i really appreciate that cheers andy
  • Hi Andy, I used to race moto x for years and in 1990 when i was 17 i fractured my pelvis in 3 places when i crashed while racing,i also broke my shoulder , so i was laid in hospital for three weeks not being able to move at all.When they got me on my feet again it felt so weird and i did,nt think i,d be right again, but all came together very fast and 6 wks out of hospital i was racing again and in 1991 had my best year racing, winning many big races.
    I,m now 37 and a very keen mtb xc racer with no lasting affects, although it does ache in the cold (but that could be my age) :wink: . Hope this helps and you,ll be riding again soon mate.
    hope you have a quick recovery
    cheers
    Lee
  • gtchunks
    thanks enduro 1 much appreciated andy