Tom Zirbel positive

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
Vaughters poor luck continues with his new rider testing + for DHEA

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/zirbel- ... sting-dhea
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Hope there were no French around at testing time.
    Technically, a Garmin rider, but will never ride his felt in earnest.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/zirbel- ... sting-dhea

Zirbel’s current contract with the US-based Bissell Professional Cycling Team expires December 31, 2009. He has completed a three-year term with the squad from 2007-2009 but did not renew his contract for a fourth year. In September he announced that he was offered a contract with Garmin-Transition for 2010, however the US-registered ProTour team recently announced its roster which did not include Zirbel.

Asked if his positive A sample impacted his contract with Garmin-Transition Zirbel said: “Yes. I haven’t gotten any reason as to why but I think it is. I’ve been completely honest with everyone that I thought needed to know. I’ve been keeping them in the loop and I imagine from their point of view, they don’t want anything to tarnish their record. I don’t have a contract with Garmin anymore. They sent me a notice of termination letter last week.”

Still think he's "technically" a Garmin rider?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    He wasn't a Garmin rider - at least not until the 1st of january 2010 -so it looks like Father Vaughters has dodged a "positive" by 3 days.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    He wasn't a Garmin rider - at least not until the 1st of january 2010 -so it looks like Father Vaughters has dodged a "positive" by 3 days.
    Exactly.
    So, OK Davey, technically not quite a Garmin rider.
    Tis the season of trivial pursuits.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    Maybe it would just be easier if we could write what we like, without worrying about it being factually correct.

So it seems, given the length, and content, of the latest Astana thread.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's blaming supplements which once again should serve a warning to all riders. There's often no need for these supplements and if a rider takes something, it's their duty to ensure the product doesn't contain dodgy substances.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    DaveyL wrote:
    Maybe it would just be easier if we could write what we like, without worrying about it being factually correct.

So it seems, given the length, and content, of the latest Astana thread.

you above all that are you...? Pls give us your expert insights DaveyL :lol:
  • DaveyL
    I haven't ridden at pro level so I couldn't possibly contribute, could I?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    DaveyL wrote:

yeah, seasons greetings to you too DaveyL , ...cut the patronizing attitude... there was a perfectly reasonable debate on the other thread...shame you didn't join
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Must admit, I did raise an eyebrow when he rode to 4th place in the Worlds TT ahead of some very tasty TT riders. Sad that any extraordinary performance elecits such a response these days. With good reason?
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Kléber wrote:
    He's blaming supplements which once again should serve a warning to all riders.
    "What's my excuse? Me,I'm stoopid!"

He's just another cheating w..ker who got caught. He should clear off and get a regular job. It's not like there is a shortage of clean talent out there. And I don't buy the "he's special" guff in the CW piece by Vaughters, more like overhyped.

So what exactly would I have to ingest (and in what quantity) to test positive for DHEA? 150 Torq bars? A dozen SiS gels? Half a tin of Quality Street plus a box of M&S mince pies? My kind of training fuel, I'd say :wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Yes, but Tom tested clean the early morning after Worlds. One only needs to look at the 5 tests he had done on him around this one positive A test. I am speculating on a tainted supplement. This can be something as simple as a tainted branch Amino acid in your sports drink. The fact that some many pro riders are coming to Tom's defense would lead me to believe that there is something else going on here. Regardless, we are responsible for what we put in our bodies as bike racers so go dump thousands of dollars and get every single think you eat iand drink in a day tested. It is your only chance for safety. There is a much bigger problem here that Tom's case will uncover eventually. Best of luck Tom!
  • DaveyL
    Dave_1 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

yeah, seasons greetings to you too DaveyL , ...cut the patronizing attitude... there was a perfectly reasonable debate on the other thread...shame you didn't join

Come off it. A non-story (so far) which drew some highly speculative comments, quickly followed by the usual rubbish which has been re-heated many, many times. Forgive me if I don't contribute.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    Simon E wrote:
    So what exactly would I have to ingest (and in what quantity) to test positive for DHEA? 150 Torq bars? A dozen SiS gels? Half a tin of Quality Street plus a box of M&S mince pies? My kind of training fuel, I'd say :wink:

Sorry to be pedantic, but Torq make a big thing (quite rightly) about their anti doping stance and test their products for prohibited substances (see http://www.torq.ltd.uk/acatalog/testing.html) so any amount of them wouldn't make you positive.
  • dave_1
    DaveyL wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Come off it. A non-story (so far) which drew some highly speculative comments, quickly followed by the usual rubbish which has been re-heated many, many times. Forgive me if I don't contribute.

Were you to ask me for good roads for your Xmas cycles up round Stirling away again...I'd send you a far more challenging route I assure you...hope I never have to endure your company in a bunch up there
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    16simon wrote:
    Sorry to be pedantic, but Torq make a big thing (quite rightly) about their anti doping stance and test their products for prohibited substances (see http://www.torq.ltd.uk/acatalog/testing.html) so any amount of them wouldn't make you positive.
    Exactly.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. With the detailed information available today why does a pro cyclist, whose livelihood relies on avoiding banned substances, 'accidentally' ingest something that results in a positive test?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Simon E wrote:
    Perhaps you misunderstood me. With the detailed information available today why does a pro cyclist, whose livelihood relies on avoiding banned substances, 'accidentally' ingest something that results in a positive test?
    Either they are cheating or they are stupid.

If they are just stupid, that's their own fault. Now some riders don't have PhDs and they're not all on big pay deals, but the lesson is clear: if in any doubt, don't take it.
  • DaveyL
    Dave_1 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Were you to ask me for good roads for your Xmas cycles up round Stirling away again...I'd send you a far more challenging route I assure you...hope I never have to endure your company in a bunch up there

I'm great fun in a bunch, Dave. I might even let you shelter behind me.
    Le Blaireau (1)