switching to full lenght gear outter. help

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hello
im about to switch to full lenght gear outters and plan to file out the cable stops on the frame to allow the cables to fit in.
i was wondering if:
1 any one sees any reason i carnt do this on my kona dawg
2 does any one know the name or were to find the little cable retainrs i got with my old hayes brakes that hold the cable onto the frame but can be slid out of the metal stops to remove the cable. they are a little black plastic tube about 1 cm long with a tapered lip at one end to hold it on the stops. i was thinking about using these on the gears. thanks for any help

Comments

• BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    You could try these.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/14 ... der-2.html

Or these, I used the M:part ones before on an old HT,they work well,but buy two as you need more than two for a full outer.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/14 ... e-set.html

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/14 ... uides.html

Hope this helps.
  • cheers.
    not what i ment but those sticky things might just do the trick. just gotta carefully file out the stops on the cable guids now.
    if i dont find a better solution ill try those.
    thanks
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    lugsey2k5 wrote:
    hello
    im about to switch to full lenght gear outters and plan to file out the cable stops on the frame to allow the cables to fit in.
    i was wondering if:

Is this the done thing? any comment from anyone? I was about to install full outers today, but planned to run the cable down the upper - I thought about drill out the guides also.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    yep , drliled out the stops on my bike doing full outers couple of months back.
    gives you the neatest job although there are probably other methods.
    its the thought of putting drill to frame that makes folk sweat :lol:
    just wrap a tea-towel around frame while you work.
    MTFU and get the power-tools out :wink:
  • boydie? how did you go about drilling the stops. i assumed the chucj would stop me getting a decent angle on the drill
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    do you mean the little gadgets that let you turn a set of filed out cable stops back into normal stops? ie hydraulic runs back to cable runs. I have a couple but can't find them on t'internet
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • no. they were on the existing hyd runs and are tabpered to wedge the hose in the metal semi cuircle to stop it just poping out
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I never drilled out the guides,I just used the cable holders that sit in the old cable stops from uk bike store,dosent give as nice a finish,but wanted to have the option of going back to normal cables if the full outers gave any trouble.

Once you have drilled a frame there is no going back,you are also creating a problem if you want to sell the frame on at a later date.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    lugsey2k5 wrote:
    no. they were on the existing hyd runs and are tabpered to wedge the hose in the metal semi cuircle to stop it just poping out

I think I know what you mean, my brothers Cube has them, they are like split rubber sleeves that go over the cable and slide into the cable guide, locking the cable/hose into the guide.
    No idea where you can buy them though :(
  • On a similar note I was thinking about filing out the first cable run for my rear hydraulic brake on my Santa Cruz frame.

I can use the other tabs provided with cable ties but the first tab starts about 1/3 of the way along the frame, it just seems the brake hose is flapping around a bit at the front of the bike unless I zip tie it to the gear cables.

Any suggestions?
    I no longer own a Kona so the name is somewhat misleading.