Wii Fit

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited December 2009 in MTB general
A family member got Wii Fit Plus for Christmas, and with the days being short and weather unpredictable I was wondering whether i could use this for any mountainbike exercises e.g. aerobic of muscular workouts as a winter training programme.
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Yeah - yoga is bloody hard. I combine dicking about (technical term) on the Yoga thing and exercises my physio gives me...and hang on...hang on.....

no i don't but i should do. Same as wossit called the mrs does ....er....pilates....that's bloody hard too.

so bending...stretching....balancing.....very good...but you cannot do cardio vascular on it....unless you're doing something wrong :)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Wii fit? Is that like some sort of tonic/clonic seizure during micturation?
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    A family member got Wii Fit Plus for Christmas, and with the days being short and weather unpredictable I was wondering whether i could use this for any mountainbike exercises e.g. aerobic of muscular workouts as a winter training programme.

The weather always unpredictable up here, Don't get dragged into the wii fit thing, theres no substitute for getting out on your bike.

I hate the whole concept of wii fit's, throw the fecker out of the window, leave your tv screen and living room and get some propper exercise with some quality fresh air in your lungs
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Ye i totally agree with that, you'll never find me on XBOX or PlayStation or whatever. But when im in an exam period for school, haven't got time to get out as much. And at the moment my lights are broken so no riding after school.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • maybe just me but i dont think any amount of time on wii fit will make you "fit"
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The yoga's OK, actually not a bad introduction to yoga IMO. And some of the core exercises are good as well. It won't make you better at riding a bike but it could help fill in gaps in your overall fitness/strength. Basically what I'd suggest is, try everything then stop doing the stuff that doesn't make you feel like you might die. Cyclists tend to be a pretty inflexible lot, yoga or tai chi or similiar can help that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • scale20
    Aren't they desinged so that the couch potatoes can do a bit of exercise with the wii controller in one hand and a big mac in the other?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877

Oh good god.

You'd be better off making up 12lbs of bread dough and kneading that for half an hour.

If you don't want to go outside but want aerobic exercise either a) join a gym/spinning classes, or b) get a turbo trainer.

Alternatively, MTFU and get out on your bike.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • scale20
    ^^ :lol::lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Some of the stuff the wii does is pretty good. I had a play around with my brothers, there's a pressup set which is absolutely identical to the one I was taught to help with arm pump/tired arms (for motorbikes, but it's the same for pushbikes) and that one really works. The stretches are decent too. And it does work on bits that riding doesn't really. Obviously no substitute for a good ride or for a properly planned exercise regime, but it's not rubbish.

I reckon, for most people the biggest problems with an exercise regime are planning it, and sticking to it. The wii makes those parts easier, for sure. It has big downsides though.
    Uncompromising extremist