£180 and some stuff out of my* spares bin...

Alex
Alex Posts: 2,086
edited January 2010 in Your mountain bikes
20954_222282809373_500294373_2943269_6778068_n.jpg

Not bad eh?

*Whyamihere's spares bin also contributed some singlespeed equipment

Comments

• looks nice that does 8)
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    nice one, spec list?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    needs more gears and an extra portion of suspension but thats ace especially for the money!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Spec:

Frame: Genesis IO
    Forks: Toras
    Bars: Easton EA30
    Stem: Specialized
    Headset: Cane Creek S3
    Grips: Gusset
    Bar Ends: Gusset

Front Brake: Avid Juicy 3
    Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 3

Seat: Scott
    Seat Post: FSA

Cranks: Saint
    Chainring(s): Shimano (probably) 32t
    Chain: Sram PC59
    Cassette: Shimano DX 16t
    Pedals: Shimano DX
    Bottom Bracket: Saint

Front Wheel: DT420
    Tire: Panaracer Mud Pro

Back Wheel: DT420

Weight: 26lbs/11.8kg

Other info: Brakes are shite.
  • Alex
    whyamihere wrote:
    Spec:

Frame: Genesis IO
    Forks: Toras
    Bars: Easton EA30
    Stem: Specialized
    Headset: Cane Creek S3
    Grips: Gusset
    Bar Ends: Gusset

Front Brake: Avid Juicy 3
    Rear Brake: Avid Juicy 3

Seat: Scott
    Seat Post: FSA

Cranks: Saint
    Chainring(s): Truvativ
    Chain: Sram PC59
    Cassette: Shimano DX 16t
    Pedals: Crank Bros Mallets
    Bottom Bracket: Saint

Front Wheel: DT420

Back Wheel: DT420

Weight: 26lbs/11.8kg

Other info: Brakes now fully functional.
  • ilovedirt
    nice spec! what was wrong with the brakes? just needed bleeding? i've always found juicy 3's to be pretty good for the money.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Alex
    They're terrible brakes. Which is why they came off my stumpy and landed heavily in my spares bin.

However, some cleaning and some new pads and they're now suitably adequate. They were pants last night as they weren't exactly bedded in.
  • ilovedirt
    what makes them 'terrible'? my experiences have been nothing but good.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Alex
    ilovedirt wrote:

Underpowered, inconsistent, an absolute nightmare to bleed. A liability on a fair sized descent in summer. You can't swap pads out on the trail easily (You need pliers), you need to remove the wheel to remove the pads. Ease of postmounted caliper removal spoiled by the entirely pointless avid 3 dimensional stack of washers thingy which means using extra long bolts and counting in those bloody washers every time you have to remove the caliper.

The equivalent shimano, the SLX is well powered, easy to set up, a child could bleed it well, it uses normal bolts, normal adapters, normal size rotors.

BUT, these 3s are adequate for the job of slowing down a budget bike. So that's the job they're doing. Doesn't mean that I have to think they're any good though. That I was surprised today when they worked well says a lot.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Nice tires!
  • Alex
    Cheers!

You used to have a set of those!
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Alex wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

Underpowered, inconsistent, an absolute nightmare to bleed. A liability on a fair sized descent in summer. You can't swap pads out on the trail easily (You need pliers), you need to remove the wheel to remove the pads. Ease of postmounted caliper removal spoiled by the entirely pointless avid 3 dimensional stack of washers thingy which means using extra long bolts and counting in those bloody washers every time you have to remove the caliper.

The equivalent shimano, the SLX is well powered, easy to set up, a child could bleed it well, it uses normal bolts, normal adapters, normal size rotors.

BUT, these 3s are adequate for the job of slowing down a budget bike. So that's the job they're doing. Doesn't mean that I have to think they're any good though. That I was surprised today when they worked well says a lot.

Agree with all the above, never experienced Avids before my current build, never want to again.
  • ilovedirt
    Alex wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

I haven't changed the pads yet, but with the washers etc... i really don't mind. My old hope M4's that i used to have, mechanically were a NIGHTMARE. As for inconsistant braking and underpowered - i've had avids on a few bikes, and that simply hasn't been the case for me, reliable, powerful and good modulation. I haven't gotten round to bleeding them yet, but i've heard that it's fairly easy. The M4's were an absolute pig to bleed.... although worth it once they worked.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Strange that you had problems with the M4's, probably the most simply brake to bleed all you need is a ring spanner and a tube. The performance of the Hopes are brilliant, pad changes easy unless your hands are cold then the retaining clip is fiddly. The Juicy 3's pig to bleed, awkward pad change and simple to align. Can't comment on the performance as the first time I've used them on a build up for a mate but don't expect the same levels as the Hopes.
  • in relation to the issue of the 3d spacer thingy which helps alignment, when removing the caliper you just unscrew it from the mount adapter as it doesn't affect the caliper as much, well that's how i do it on my &'s anyway.

I now have Hope M4 and V2's on my bike and wish when setting them up there was a 3d spacer to help alignment, but once sorted they are awesome brakes and no problem with rubbing or squeaking.

Bleding I can't help with not done it on either set yet
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    *Sits smiling smugly with his Formulas*