American Flyers

thomasmc
thomasmc Posts: 814
edited January 2010 in Pro race
On tonight on BBC 1 @11.30 :D

Comments

• Kevin Costner with a 'tache, evil Ruskies and lot's of shots of riders sprinting on the flat or downhill on the small chainring in a race called "The Hell Of The West". Total nonsense but stupid fun at the same time.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Great film ! Thats on my sky+ box - now I just need 'Breaking Away'.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Best quote from the film: "How can you be sick? You've got a mustache and everything."
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Pokerface wrote:
    Best quote from the film: "How can you be sick? You've got a mustache and everything."

LOL
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Opening sequence for me, riding into the lift and his flat. If only we could all live like that.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Missed it. hopefully it'll pop up on iplayer
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Ahh, someone mentioned "Breaking Away".
    A film about Cycling and sticking it to the posh kids. Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jzs6dk4bs

Did watch it last night; nice facial hair. They did seem to be constantly sprinting though; fit lads.
    The Russian was a big lad to be going up mountains; maybe the first signs of EPO :wink:
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • is he drafting a lorry on the freeway at the end of that trailer?

Dint think much to american fliers actually - backbeat on film4 at roughly the same time was more worth the watch imo; anywho, back on-topic...is breaking away worth seeing?
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • cougie
    Hell yes ! Its got bikes in !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    grahamg123 wrote:
    is he drafting a lorry on the freeway at the end of that trailer?

Dint think much to american fliers actually - backbeat on film4 at roughly the same time was more worth the watch imo; anywho, back on-topic...is breaking away worth seeing?

Breaking away is ace, especially the bit when he's drafting the wagon...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Recorded it last night and watched it this morning.

That film shows the most compelling reason for wearing bibs :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Well, it's not Breaking Away.

The 30s intermediate bonuses in the race are stupid - but I like the idea of sprint training with an aggressive dog.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think we're almost in the same league with American Flyers and Breaking Away.
    I watch them both cos they're about cycling. Stupid man I am. Maybe Breaking Away has got a bit more passion about the bike.
    Most impressed in Breaking Away with his drafting a Truck which grahamg123 mentioned; on the other hand American Flyers does feature Mr Merckx senior.

If you want to see a good film I just watched Avatar 3D; very good but no bikes.

Cheers Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    jerry3571 wrote:
    If you want to see a good film I just watched Avatar 3D; very good but no bikes.

+1 - and even better in IMAX 3D!!
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    American Flyers is a lot like this: ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUyK_J_W4BI
  • The best thin about American Flyers is the soundtrack.

I used to love that film back in 91 when i was 15.

Best quoute (pops into my head on every club run) "Enough of this sunday stroll, it's time to hurt a little"

Barry the cannibal muzzin is my hero
  • Best quoute (pops into my head on every club run) "Enough of this sunday stroll, it's time to hurt a little"
    Pokerface wrote:

What about the black kid in the car with his father looking at the knackered rider?
    "i want a bowling ball"
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Ha ha i knew this word for word as a kid! Never seen breaking away though... i need to get on that although i can imagine its lost a lot of its sparkle now lol...

Anyone for BMX Bandits? :lol:
  • Breaking Away is head and shoulders above American Flyers.

Plus it won an Oscar for the screenplay.

Go Cutters!!
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Hehe, yeah I remember BMX bandits, must have been on around time E.T was made. Nicole Kidman and her pink one lol!

Not seen this breaking away, but if its better than american flyers bring it on! :)
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I think we're almost in the same league with American Flyers and Breaking Away.
    I watch them both cos they're about cycling. Stupid man I am. Maybe Breaking Away has got a bit more passion about the bike.
    Most impressed in Breaking Away with his drafting a Truck which grahamg123 mentioned; on the other hand American Flyers does feature Mr Merckx senior.

Cheers Jerry

Did you notice that the shot of Merckx at the Hell of the West was super-imposed?

Loved it as a kid but watched recently and dear god....

:oops:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    American Flyers is an awful film from what I remember. Loads of ball locks about 'shake and break' and some Russian built like a track sprinter hammering up 'mountains' and grabbing his rival by the nuts :shock:

I blame the story of a cycle courier turning into a top road racer for all the posts on here off newbies who think they'll be pros inside a year :lol:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Pross wrote:
    American Flyers is an awful film from what I remember. Loads of ball locks about 'shake and break' and some Russian built like a track sprinter hammering up 'mountains' and grabbing his rival by the nuts :shock:

I blame the story of a cycle courier turning into a top road racer for all the posts on here off newbies who think they'll be pros inside a year :lol:

Yeah, that Russian was massive and looked really odd on a bike. Huge great chest and arms on im. Costner's girlfriend is the same one who plays the daft air stewardess in Arnie's Commando.
  • cougie
    AF is a great film - ok so we know its not 100% accurate but we are pretty picky.

Anyone remember Roy/Ray Eden I think his name was ? He went from being a chain smoking courier to national TT champ ?
  • cougie
    AF is a great film - ok so we know its not 100% accurate but we are pretty picky.

Anyone remember Roy/Ray Eden I think his name was ? He went from being a chain smoking courier to national TT champ ?
  • cougie