Raleigh Avanti U6 Comp 2009

teamtalairan
teamtalairan Posts: 175
edited January 2010 in Road beginners
Hello, I have treated myself to one of these in the sale (£600 from £1000) and wondered if anyone online has any experience of this bike. Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I like it and for that price is a bargain! Just make sure it fits with treating yourself to a proper bike fit assuming you done your homework and got the right size.
  • smeev
    smeev Posts: 105
    Where did u buy that from, if u dont mind me asking?. That's a fair old discount...
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • Wiggle - down to £599 from £999 - there's still some left if you want one.
  • Wiggle - down to £599 from £999 - there's still some left if you want one.
  • smeev
    smeev Posts: 105
    looks pretty good, i wish i would of waited a while before i brought my spesh allez. Oh well.
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • Hmm im tempted now... either this or the Bianchi Via Nirone...
    exercise.png
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    all the halfords bashers dont realise they will force other bikeshops to lower their prices to sell more bikes. it benefits everyone. :wink: with petrol going up there should be an increasing demand for bikes .
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Thats an absolute steal at that price. Read some reviews as well - its really rated. I have seen these bikes in the flesh and they really look the business....

Well done. enjoy
  • Will let you know how i get on! thanks!
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Any one know the weight of these bikes?
  • 8.3KG dependent on frame size
  • The little bambino has arrived, and even better it has a white seat which is way sexier than the one on the pic. Mother and baby well!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I've got a Airlite U6 race and it's a cracking bike.

Handles very well, is nice and stable and has a fair old lick of acceleration too :D

Mightily impressed with mine.

Bargain for you though, enjoy.

Did it come with the mad multi-coloured outland saddle that looks like a prologo one?, they're pretty comfy really
  • It did! Which was a great surprise as I was already checking out white saddles for it, to complete the look. The photo with the black saddle wasn't great so i'm really chuffed. Glad you like it. I'll set it up this weekend then wait for the ice to thaw ....
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    glad you are pleased with the bike!

what size frame did you get?

they are semi compact frames right? with standard frame i am a 56cm (im 5ft 10) so would i need a different size frame with the raleigh?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    The little bambino has arrived, and even better it has a white seat which is way sexier than the one on the pic. Mother and baby well!

Now you need to post photos in the 'My bike' bit!
    Or we wont believe you :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Yes, Semi compact and I am 5'11 woman and I have a 56 and think you'd be fine if you're a man bt if you're a woman you might want to try a 54.
    As for photos .... don't worry will post some soon and review it too ... (once the ice melts!)
  • I've ordered one of these after 6 months of riding a 1980's steel frame bike. I got Evans to price match and deliver to local shop, so hopefully they will help with the set up.
  • you won't be disappointed. I just went down to my lbs and it was SO nice to look at all the bikes, and still prefer mine over them. That's a first!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    memento.jpg
  • Garz
    Agreed nap.
  • hi there, i brought the same bike 4 months ago, really pleased with it, the only fault are the tyres, so many punctures that I have swapped the continentals ultra race to mich!!! far better!!! people I ride with thought it was me riding too close to edge until I went out with then and got 2 punctures and they x2 didn,t and I was on the outside of each of them! !lol.
    just swapped the pedals to 105 spd pedals, fitted rsp rechargeable lights, mud guard etc!!! will post picture soon.
  • here are the pics as promised;

[url=http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/gordonandsue/?action=view&th_SDC12814.jpgcurrent=SDC12815.jpg]th_SDC12815.jpg[/URL][/url]

th_SDC12813.jpg
  • Garz
    Nice water pump monkey!
  • garz, dont understand matey??? me being a new boy!!!! is it where i have fitted it?? or are you being serious
  • heh I think he means the other pics in your album!!!
    The ones of the water pump I doubt you could fit anywhere on your bike =)

Lovely ride btw.. Hoping they still have one my size in stock next week!!
    exercise.png
  • lol, didn't realise you could see the rest of my photos, that my marine fish tank!!!!! first time doing photos to be honest
  • Garz
    lol, didn't realise you could see the rest of my photos, that my marine fish tank!!!!! first time doing photos to be honest

:lol:

I see businesses basements with less plumbing than that mate! Gratz on your purchase btw, I'm really attracted to the raleigh brand again, I know they are not the force they once were but the nostalgic memories lure me to them all the time!
  • i have always had raleigh bikes!!!!! proud to have a british bike!!! even though everything on the bike is probably made mainly abroad now! !lol :lol: . beats having a lance armstrong bike ( trek etc)as this bike handles and behaves!! :roll: may have started a debate now!!! wish more people would ride raleigh!! let bring back the old days when raleigh were huge!!! big in the tour!! nice to see they are racing continentals one day events this year and plan to do the tour in 5 years time. what do you thinks on this :?:
  • Garz
    Think its good if they can keep the prices down and the quality up! :)