Shimano MP66 Shoes

Foll Zofalot
Foll Zofalot Posts: 204
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
HoHoHo,
so Santa brought me a pair of these :Dhttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7610
Instructions are hopless so had a look on Shimano w/s, http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 612959.pdf ,basically I'm trying to figure how you get the rubber cover removed from the sole for the SPD's. Shimano instructions say to remove with plyers but to me it looks like the cover is moulded in, I don't want to go slicing bits out my new shoes until I'm sure!
Cheers :wink:

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Used a sharp knife on mine. May have finished them off with a pair of scissors.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • I stabbed at mine from the inside until they came away a bit underneath then I could pull them off. There's a strange papery layer in there somewhere that you'll need to trim.
  • Yep, I got some of these a few weeks ago. Brilliant shoes and yes you have to just get brutal with the rubber cover.
    I went at it from underneath and managed to get hold of a corner with some pliers and applied some brut strength, (until I gave up and handed them to my boyfriend to finish off for me!!).

Sarah
    Pain is Temporary, Glory is forever!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I cut around the edge with a stanley knife then got under it with pliers. Takes a while and a lot of brute strength.
  • Cheers, guys+girls.

as you say, brute force. Slight problem though, looks like the mould inside one of the shoes has attached squint to the sole!, think these need to go back :!:
    Spot the difference...
    MP66_2-1.jpg
    hmm, squint me thinks :(
    MP66_1.jpg
  • whats up with it?
  • The parallel grooves on the right hand side of the shot and enlarged below arn't in line, the other shoe is. Tis squint.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    if using SPD cleats, then they allow for some side to side movement so you may still be able to get the correct cleat position. I'd try that first unless you're not bothered about turn around time for a new pair.
  • id return them..if you are in a hirry order another par now and have them refund you for those when they get back.
    With SPDs I find angle and position critical to avoid dodgy knee syndrome and those look far enough out to cause some isses to me personally, ymmv
  • vikingboy wrote:
    id return them..if you are in a hirry order another par now and have them refund you for those when they get back.
    With SPDs I find angle and position critical to avoid dodgy knee syndrome and those look far enough out to cause some isses to me personally, ymmv

Yeah, my thoughts exactly - I'm sending them back to Wiggle