Gisburn conditions?

hammy7272
hammy7272 Posts: 236
edited January 2010 in Routes
Plan to work off the old turkey on boxing day, anyone know what the conditions are like?

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Snowy :lol:

Might be a problem getting there, unsalted roads have still got a lot of snow on them.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stumpyjon
    Forget it. Went up today, you need a 4 x 4 just to reach the carpark. Most of the trails have got around a foot of snow on them and are completely unrideable. There were a couple of people riding there today, they spent most of their time falling off (this was in the car park, they didn't make it as far as the trails :lol: ).

Had to cancel next weeks festive dig day too :evil:

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Awww, no festive dig day :(

Would have thought a snow plough on one of those 'motorised wheelbarrow thingy-mabobs' would clear a path :lol: .
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • stumpyjon
    I know, I've been putting off making the decision hoping it would thaw, after seeing it in the flesh so to speak there's no way we're going to be able to dig, or even see the trail :cry: .

• Sounds like fun! (from the comfort of my warm sofa, holding a cup of hot choc and waiting for my gammon and chips :lol:)

whens the big dig repairing the gulley?
  • stumpyjon
    Ben, it'll be on the 10th of January, weather dependant of course. It was rather pretty up there and my five year had plenty of fun making snow angels, just pants for ridding (and digging).

• gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    Had a look up there today and rode 10 yards from the pub(couldn't get to the carpark!) before it became obvious it was too difficult :lol:
    Anybody managed a run around the trail?
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Any new reports on Gisburn??

Bit of rain here in Bradford has cleared some of the snow, but ice seems to be the main problem now. Not sure how the trail is fairing though??

Plan on meeting a couple of people from our facebook group tomoz, but dont want to go if its dangerous + my car is rear whee drive and doesnt do slippy roads!

Any reports mucho appreciated,
  • Hi

Looking to head up to Gisburn in the next 2 days, has anyone been up? Monday now and the snow has mostly cleared from around here.

Will it be a mud bog?

If not hows Lee Quarry? We figured that as a dry option but ice there would be lethal.

Lee
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    wanting to go tomo - anyone know what its like?
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I live close to gisburn forest and although I havent been up since the snow, I know from past experience it will be a right mess and not much fun at all. The snow is still thick on the ground here and what has started to melt has turned icy...

I'd give it a miss if I were you bud....even if it were to rain now and melt it all it would be a mud bath.
  • Hmm, I was hoping to get there tomorrow but it sounds like a bad idea. Think I'll head off up Rivington instead.
  • stumpyjon
    There was a lot more snow up there on Boxing day than elsewhere and a lot of it is shaded from the sun by the trees. Froze around here yesterday so I would imagine it's still not worth it. Lee Quarry might be better although there's still snow on the north facing hills. Probably rideable but will need lots of care. There looked like vehicle tracks running up the tramway today, hope it wasn't the mountain rescue picking up someone's remains :shock:

• Whytepeak
    A bunch of us are heading to Lee Quarry tomorrow, good to hear that it won't be that bad - not looking forward to icy rocks though :roll: .
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Chose Lee Quarry

Was slightly snowy.....

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=109809&id=623252613&l=bbb0b790dd

They call it character building.

Virtual whiteout on the tops and it was like been sandblasted the wind was so strong, you just couldnt ride into the wind!

Still a good laugh though and no injuries!
  • gonga
    leeshields wrote:
    Chose Lee Quarry

Was slightly snowy.....

Virtual whiteout on the tops and it was like been sandblasted the wind was so strong, you just couldnt ride into the wind!

I set off for lee quarry this morning and hit the horizontal sand blasting near crown point in burnley.
    :lol:
    I turned around and rode home :lol:
  • Whytepeak
    gonga wrote:
    leeshields wrote:
    Chose Lee Quarry

Was slightly snowy.....

I set off for lee quarry this morning and hit the horizontal sand blasting near crown point in burnley.

Went to LQ today - cold, and slippy. Good fun though, if anyone was on the lookout, I was with the group doing 40mph down the trails, so skilled :roll: .
  • Hi All,

Does anyone have a trail condition update for Gisburn or Lee Quarry, I'm in Ramsbottom and I know that on the hills there is still snow but really fancy a ride Friday or Saturday.

Andy
  • gonga
    Whytepeak wrote:
    gonga wrote:
    leeshields wrote:
    Chose Lee Quarry

Was slightly snowy.....

Went to LQ today - cold, and slippy. Good fun though, if anyone was on the lookout, I was with the group doing 40mph down the trails, so skilled :roll: .

That was the second time i have quit before i got there :lol:
    first one was when it was thundering down a few weeks back and got disheartened and turned back.
    :(
    I still have have not been yet, :lol:
    Maybe i should just consider driving there :D
  • Whytepeak
    gonga wrote:
    That was the second time i have quit before i got there :lol:
    first one was when it was thundering down a few weeks back and got disheartened and turned back.
    :(
    I still have have not been yet, :lol:
    Maybe i should just consider driving there :D

Well its well worth it :) The trails there are great - technical stuff... be even more stuff there once they have built what is planned.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Local knowledge please?? Will Gisburn be rideable by Sunday?
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    going a bit earlier - will they be rideable by saturday?
  • Has anyone been up there recently? If so what's the conditions been like?
    I'm planning on a day out sometime this week, got the week off work :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • stumpyjon
    I would imagine the snow is arm pit deep up there by now, the approach roads will be sheet ice and compacted snow. We cancelled a second dig day there today because of conditions. If it thaws from now (which isn't forecast) I would reckon it'll take a least a week for most of the snow to go.

• I was riding round Clapham today which is quite near and the snow was pretty deep. I would give it a week if not a fortnight yet.
  • stumpyjon
    Doubt it, if it's anything like home there will 4 or 5ft deep snow in places, going to take another week for the worst to clear I would guess, certainly wouldn't bother this weekend.