Building a BSO out of a box

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited December 2009 in MTB general
BSO = Bicycle Shaped Object

I have just spent 4 frustrating hours building a bike that was bought off the internet and came in a box for a neighbours daughter.

What a piece of cr@p it had the following faults
chain a lump of rust
headset tightened too much deforming the mild steel cups
rear wheel built with the wrong offset
front brake cable frayed
bolt on seatpost clamp thread stripped
mild steel handlebars that had bubbling chrome that flaked off in nice sharp flakes
supplied assembly toolkit apparently made out of cottage cheese only not as strong
all bearings supplied without that horrible sticky grease

How the hell does a company get away with importing this sh1te and not get sued out of existence.

I have managed to put it together and make it safe but it took a lot of swearing (especially when a strand of brake cable went under my thumbnail) and I very much doubt the average non biking parent could put it together safely on xmas eve.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    moral of this story ?
    buy the kids an x-box for crimbo , nothin to assemble. :D
  • stubs
    Moral of the story dont buy a bike off an internet toy dealer
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Moral of the story is be a grumpy old sod like me and no one will dare ask you to fix things on Christmas Eve/Day :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • stubs
    Well it works just been watching Chloe ride up and down the road on her new bike

Makes it all worth while especially as her dad has just given me 6 bottles of Timothy Taylors Landlord for all my work last night
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are evil things to build - I had a go at the Asda one earlier in the year. And sent them a big list of faults!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Put together a Halfords one for a neighbour last summer. Not a pleasent experience. I can build a hardtail from scratch quicker than setting up a BSO.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    In December 2008 I was building about 8 BSO's a day

Not one was a simple bolt it together & it works bike, every single one needed gears, brakes and/or wheels fettling, some bikes even had the wrong pedals supplied (2 x RH or 2 x LH ones) and some came with a free puncture as std.

A fully trained mechanic can't work with the toolkit provided (we used to bin these immediately) and build the bike to an acceptable safe standard, let alone Joe Bloggs with screaming kids wanting their bikes to ride on Xmas day

I still work with BSO's, but not as many as I used to, they still piss me off sometimes though
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • It is a nightmare but has been happening for years and will continue because no one ever complains or even takes legal action. If your children like mine get into riding you end up buying from LBS and previous experience all forgotten.

I also blame most LBS as there prices compared to internet retailers are unrealistic for kid’s bikes, so understand why most parents go that way.

Merry Xmas
    So Far!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    estevens wrote:
    I also blame most LBS as there prices compared to internet retailers are unrealistic for kid’s bikes, so understand why most parents go that way.

More to do with parents not knowing what a real bike costs and some rather unscrupulous people preying on that to shift BSOs. Remember an LBS isn't just for Christmas :wink:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    stumpyjon wrote:
    estevens wrote:

More to do with parents not knowing what a real bike costs and some rather unscrupulous people preying on that to shift BSOs. Remember an LBS isn't just for Christmas :wink:

I too have built a couple of BSO's for friends and neighbours.
    The best was a 22" wheeled BMX with too flat innertubes as std.
    It's safe too say i got them too take it back and spend an extra £20 on a safer/better bike from the LBS.
    Parents often buy presents on price and do not think about safety!!!
    I think there should be better standards in place and those that are there are inforced.
    I've thought for some time that no bike should be allowed to be sold out of a box!!
    They should be set up and checked by knowledgable people who have passed a standardised bicycle building test!!
    Just my view imo :wink:
  • My eldest boy has a bso and it's his b'day in the next few days. Lucky for him, his old man is now into cycling and will be taking him to lbs for a decent bike that'll have to last for about 5 years:D