Raceface Bottom Bracket

Old Pedaller
Old Pedaller Posts: 104
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I've finally got fed up enough with this to ask the question.

When new last November my Crush had enough, smooth, resistance to turning the crank that I assumed there was drag from tight rubber seals.

This resistance is intermittent and also, if left for a week, the crank is now notchy for the first half revolution, perhaps pointing to rust though it has never been exposed to much water and is washed carefully. Of course I should just look inside but don't have the right tool.

Has anyone else experienced this? if the bearings are shot (though there's no play) is there another, better lasting, BB that I could use that would accept the Raceface cranks?

Thanks

Comments

• Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Raceface bottom brackets are notoriously short-lived. Replace with a Hope BB - mine has lasted three times as long (so far) as my old Raceface BB.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Hollowtech 11 lasted 4 years on the old bike,this ones been on the new bike just under 2 years and is still as smooth a silk 8)
    Dunno if they're Raceface compatible though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    raceface what bracket? ( they do a few different designs!).

who fitted it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    raceface what bracket? ( they do a few different designs!).

who fitted it?

As far as I can find out it is the XC Evolve Double X Type. The bike was new so fitted by Orange. It runs smoothly enough once the half turn initial roughness has gone but the "drag" comes and goes though disappears after say 10 minutes or so but is not always there from start off.

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any play?

would not worry too much

it can be replaced with any shimano/raceface external type cups.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No play so thanks - I'll wait until it gets markedly worse. Useful to know the replacement options.

Merry Christmas
  • toys19
    toys19 Posts: 90
    You should change it as the bearing itself may have seized which means you are rubbing the axle against the inner face of the bearing and wearing some slack in to the system that a new BB wont solve..
  • toys19 wrote:
    You should change it as the bearing itself may have seized which means you are rubbing the axle against the inner face of the bearing and wearing some slack in to the system that a new BB wont solve..

That's a thought right enough. Perhaps I'll treat myself to the tool as a late Christmas present.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Pro-lite bottom Brackets are pretty damm good.

£30 will get you one with full stainless bearings :D
  • I stuck a hope SS BB in mine not long after the same thing happened to my Orange Crush.
  • Hope ceramics are the way to go. pricey though, £70 at best.