Gear problems

MountainPete
MountainPete Posts: 418
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm having some troubles with the gears on my new Superlight.

The problem seems to only arise when in the middle chainring and largest sprocket. The chain tends to 'ride up' on the sprocket causing no end of troubles. By 'riding up' I mean that the chain tends to sit on top of the sprocket. Where the jockey wheel feeds the chain to the cassette, the chain does not line up with the teeth on the sprocket. However, it fades in and out of being lined up, which would suggest that something is not properly aligned. It is inconsistent too. Sometimes it is ok on the workstand and sometimes not. However, it is definitely not ok when riding around. The problem is exacerbated by greater pressure on the pedals.

My setup is a Shimano XT cassette (11-34T) and derailleur on the back with a SRAM PC991 hollowtech chain. This setup has worked flawlessly for me over the last couple of years - I've never ever had a problem! The cassette and chain are brand new, but I kept my old derailleur. The jockey wheels are in mint condtion, and everything is nice and clean!

I have a feeling it could be something to do with the 'B-Tension adjustment screw'. When screwed the whole way out, the top jockey wheel still doesn't nearly reach the sprockets. It's close, but not really close. I've wound it out to 5mm, as suggested by Shimano - this stopped the problems on the workstand, but still continued on the ground.

Another thought I had was chain tension, but it seems to be fairly sensible. I made sure there was enough slack when sitting on it (with the suspension compressed) too.

Any thoughts? I'm going out for it's first 'proper' ride on Sunday, so it would be nice to have it sorted by then!

Thanks,

Pete

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like it is not positioned correctly.

either tension or screw stop position.

pull on the cable and see it it drop into place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown