Kimmage and the Pro's!

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited January 2010 in Pro race
chuckled at this:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 966928.ece

Gives meaning to the nickname: Tomeke Bone One!

Or, is this just silly journalism?
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    “When a man’s hard down below, he’s soft up above . . .”

quality
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    the journeyman done well. He's done well out of doping.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    PauloBets wrote:
    But nowhere near as well as the dopers themselves...
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    PauloBets wrote:
    But nowhere near as well as the dopers themselves...

a famous journalist he is nowadays...made his name through doping like the users...
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Would you have him ignore it?

Whatever else Kimmage might be at least he has the balls to stand up to the likes of LA and ask the difficult questions. Listening to the likes Liggett and Sherwin fawn endlessly just makes me want to puke.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    PauloBets wrote:
    made his name through doping like the users...

Made his name through talking about the doping, which very few riders have ever done.
  • Made his name through talking about the doping, which very few riders have ever done.

His autobiography, written immediately after quitting pro cycling after four-and-a-half years, is remarkable for how little it discusses doping compared with the noise created by the fact that it is discussed at all. Don't get me wrong - the doping aspects of pro cycling is an important part of the book, but I felt it doesn't detract from the main story of what it really is (or was) to be a domestique.

One thing I found touching was how - after years of being a winner in amateur events and then as a local Irish pro, Irish champion and all that - he spent most of his pro years without winning anything at all.

- TJO
  • a famous journalist he is nowadays...made his name through doping like the users...

Hmm I dont think so...

PauloBets...he made his name as a journalist through being a good journalist...he just happened to get a start in journalism because of the book. If you re read it he states clearly that its written by a cyclist and not a journalist, and that fact is very evident on reading Rough Ride. Look outside of cycling at some of the articles Kimmage has written and you will find a very good journalist, but that wasnt always the case with Kimmage.

Maybe if you had seen the attitude in Ireland towards Kimmage when the book was published you would understand his views on the sport now, because what a lot of people overlook is that he was right. He told an honest story about a dirty sport. The one memory that sticks with me is the absolutly disgraceful way he was treated on a chat show in Ireland because the host had Roche on a pedestal and basically wanted Kimmage to say that it was only losers who took performance enhancing drugs....now we all know thats not the case dont we?

We could of course read articles by the likes of the Sherwins of the world who havnt the integrity or the balls to ask difficult questions in case the all powerful lance shuts them out... draw your own conclusions PauloBets but id rather have honest journalists who's opinions sometimes cause disagreements than read drivel from spinless writers more concerned with being part of the scene.
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    PauloBets wrote:
    made his name through doping like the users...

Made his name through talking about the doping, which very few riders have ever done.

Absolutely.....NOT!!

Paul Kimmage is one of the best sports journalists on the planet these days and as said one of the few with the balls to stand up to the dopers and Armstrong in particular.

Perhaps a mark of his journalistic "Style" is the fact that when the Times was granted an interview with Armstrong last year during the tour, he was on the banned list like Walsh and Whittle, instead we made do with Owen Slot and his spineless sychophancy.