Drill it out?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
the bolts on the isis bb/crankset are stuck solid :(

the bolts are also pretty rounded too, and its possibly 8 years old.

Gonna take it LBS tomorrow to see if they can get the bugger out, but is there anything else I can try? :(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well what is the over all plan?

did the black rings have two holes in? as if yes they are extracting rings AND lock rings. back them off a tad.

if replacing the whole lot then you only need to remove on arm and the smack the axle out as it will pop the opposite bearing out.

it does depend on what you are planning on re using.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • well I was using the park tool guides and I know what you mean about the 2 holes. They aren't on mine....

Well I think the BB is shot tbh. It sounds like nothing i've ever heard... a sort of cracking/creaking sound that sends a judder down the cranks.

I ruled out it being the pedals.

So yea, not bothered about being destructive, just as long as I can actually get the thing out without damaging the frame/cranks..... or without getting it stuck in the frame for good!
  • nicklouse
    drill is an option then. but you will need to do it in steps as the drill size you will need to drill of the flange could be big as the bolts could be 12 or 15mm.

TBH leave it to the LBS
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • you obviously haven't visited my LBS before :lol:
    Probably charge me £40 to remove a BB!

I'll have another go tomorrow, anything I can do to losen the bolt?

Would warming it help? its been pretty cold recently. Or some lube type stuff?
  • nicklouse
    well as what you want to get lube onto is a tricky place your best bet is to lift off the black rings and fill the space with plus gas untill it has disappeared then repeat on the other side. (bike laid flat). allen key bits and a long breaker bar?
  • hmm fair enough.. will give it another crack.

What do you mean by lifting off the black rings? you mean around the bolt? should I cut them out?
  • nicklouse
    they are just press fit hard plastic.

small pick/screwdriver will lift them off.
  • ahhaha... cheers Nick.... lets hope I can get this darn thing off!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i tend to find a hammer fixes most problems on a bike.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • rus6
    rus6 Posts: 9
    You can also use an 'easy out' to remove most rounded out bolts. I've often had to do it with cleat bolts.

http://www.toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/

But you'll need to get one from a proper hardware shop.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    rus6 wrote:
    You can also use an 'easy out' to remove most rounded out bolts. I've often had to do it with cleat bolts.

http://www.toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/

But you'll need to get one from a proper hardware shop.

However when it snaps you need it spark eroded out at a ridiculous cost.

I have a cylinder head to remove next week for this exact reason.
  • Try
    Ambersil Rust Flash

or
    http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

To shrink/ freeze the bolts loose.
  • talk about MTFU..... got the fecker off this morning with some elbow grease.

But i'm stumped now.... I wasn't expecting to see what I can see :lol:

What i'm left with now (crank arms off) looks a tad like a hollowtech2 external BB cup. As though some sort of spanner is needed to remove the BB....

Can anyone help me here?
    photo-25.jpg

Sorry baout the poor quality photo.

is it a cartridge bearing?
  • The thing is... the BB seems to be quite smooth... could the crank arms have been loose and causing the clicking?
  • nicklouse
    it is the Truvativ/XTR tool that is needed.

as per Parktools.

Just get it replaced.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    You do indeed need a spanner to remove the bb, or a BB tool adaptor - which you can get from parktool, or borrow one from your LBS.

It is a cartridge bearing iirc.

It is probably the BB that is sour, as there wasn't any play in the cranks before was there?
    Having said that, ISIS cranks do have a habit of coming lose, and eating the BB crank mounts, which can ruin them over time - so it may be the case that your bro experienced this, and tightened it up to prevent movement.

Check to see that the crank arm interface with the BB, on both the cranks and the BB look OK - haven't been mashed up. In which case, it'll be the BB.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Sorted... got it off :D

Cheeeers!
  • Just ordered a new BB... got a Gusset thingym'bob from CRC for peanuts... got some good reviews so i'm hoping it'll last a few months.

Any tips on installing an ISIS then to get the most out of one?
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    no advice pal , but was wonderin which bike shop you use seeing as your down the road from me ?
  • nicklouse
    just fit it.

and read the instructions.
  • biff55
    nicklouse wrote:
    just fit it.

and read the instructions.

over 20 years of experience gone into that post :lol:
    :wink:
  • biff55 wrote:
    no advice pal , but was wonderin which bike shop you use seeing as your down the road from me ?
    hummm... non :lol:

I'll go to various for tools (Lytham Cycles, Apple Bikes and Halfords) but I wouldn't let any of them near my bike.
    If I did have to go LBS, it'd be Lytham Cycles as they seem to be a lot more interested in bikes and don't charge the earth :)
  • biff55
    never been in lytham cycles , apple bikes in st annes has some nice gear tho.
    merry xmas regards.
  • biff55 wrote:
    never been in lytham cycles , apple bikes in st annes has some nice gear tho.
    merry xmas regards.

Does it? :lol: depends how deep your pockets are! Can get stuff pretty much 1/2 price if you go elsewhere!
  • biff55
    of course internet shopping cheaper
    but doesn't have the same buzz as eye-balling bling components in a shop dislay cabinet
    :D
  • i guess! I think i've just had too many arguments with the guy in there to be arsed about what he sells lol!
    He's a "know it all".

I think they mainly deal in roadies now though. They can't/won't even bleed hydro brakes!
  • biff55
    never "used" the shop TBH.
    Bodens Cycles in South Shore propably better for repair work on decent bikes
    He sells good midrange bikes and been doing repairs from there over 20 years.
  • Fair enough, never herd of them!

I travel to Formby Cycles every now and then to top up on lubes and other consumables.Bloody good shop, but A bit of a trek to get there :(