Threading an unthreaded fork

Martingale
Martingale Posts: 71
edited December 2009 in Workshop
Hi -

I've got a Colnago Precisa fork, which is unthreaded. So, I can't use a quill stem with it.
Do you advise threading it without compromising safety and durability? If so, could you recommend a place where I could get it threaded?

Thanks,
Martingale
"Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades " - Eddy Merckx

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A decent framebuilder may be able to do it for you but check the tube wall diameter to make sure it's thick enough - ahead steerers may be thinner-walled than threaded. It could be quite hard with a hand-die too
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Do you really really want to use a quill stem? They have their own problems, and unobtrusive looking threadless stems are available.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I was going to add the same - I'd get a nice polished and sculpted ahead stem like a Nitto or VO (try Freshtripe) rather than faffing around with a threaded fork. Getting the thread alignment straight is critical otherwise the headset will never adjust properly - fork steerers are probably machine cut to ensure the thread is 'square'
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I am trying to keep the old school look of the bike I am putting together.
    I think you have a point tho. I quite like the Deda Quattro polished silver; so, might go for that one.

thx
    Martingale
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades " - Eddy Merckx
  • Nobody who has ever cut fork thread with a hand cutter would recommend it: it's a sod of a job to do well, requiring spendy tools, and lots of time. Back in my bike-shop days it was a last resort if we couldn't persuade the customer of any other course of action, and it was done very much under protest and an 'all care no responsibility' policy.

And that was for extending existing threads. I'm not sure any of the tools previously linked or mentioned are suitable for starting a thread, which requires getting the alignment exactly right.

I'd find a nice classy threadless stem if I were you and avoid a world of pain.
    John Stevenson
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've done a few at work.It is hard work but its not that difficult if you know what you are doing and have the right tools.
    For a shop to do it they will want paying and paying well.The cost of the tools is enormous.