Caliper bolts for Avid Juicies

jamesfifield
jamesfifield Posts: 147
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Please could someone help me: I recently got a pair of 2nd hand Juicy 5s and am delighted with them. Unfortunately they don't have the bolts to attach the caliper to the disc mounts and I was wondering whether it was possible to purchase these from a builders' merchant. If so, what length and thread pitch would I need?

Thanks in advance,
James

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the thread and pitch is listed on parktools

but here you are M6 X 1.

Or you could have taken the adaptor with you or even one of the caliper to adaptor bolts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • have a look on CRC under Avid spares got some new ones and conical washers for my juicy threes for under a tenner.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have
    1 bolt off my old juicy 5's
    3 sets of conical washers(12 in total you need 16)
    You need to buy 3 bolts and a set of washers,you might get a match at an iron mongers.
    Or buy these( set of)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=21475
    PM if you want them
  • Thanks for the responses.
    Nicklouse: I'm very sorry but this whole BABIYOS thing is new to me. I'm loving the challenges and satisfaction that it yields though and in the future will definitely check the Park Tools website :oops:
    I couldn't take the caliper to the shop unfortunately as at the moment I am up in Yorkshire visiting relatives and snowed in. The rest of the family are coming up later in the Land Rover so I was hoping to pass on the specifications and ask them to pick them up en route.
    bones3027 and ibbo68 thanks for the tip about CRC, I think I will certainly pick up a few for spares from there...

Thanks again everyone and have a great Christmas
    James
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    buy them off crc as pairs as that way you defo have the lot ready to go !
  • Hi,

Please could someone help me: I recently got a pair of 2nd hand Juicy 5s and am delighted with them. Unfortunately they don't have the bolts to attach the caliper to the disc mounts and I was wondering whether it was possible to purchase these from a builders' merchant. If so, what length and thread pitch would I need?

Thanks in advance,
    James

"builders' merchant"????????????

Can you buy bags of cement from bike shops?
    We are talking about the brakes on a bike. Not all M6x1 bolts are as strong as each other. In civil engineering (builders merchant??????) bolts can be 8.8 grade(marked on them) which would be OK.

http://euler9.tripod.com/bolt-database/22.html