Marzocchi QR20 - Help!

EarlofBarnet
EarlofBarnet Posts: 673
edited December 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I basically overtightened the lever on my QR20 axle (on Marz Bomber Jnr T's, 2003 model) last week. I've ordered one replacement lever from CRC, but it was for the wrong model. I'm now waiting for the second replacement lever, via windwave, which seems to be taking its time in the Christmas post. If it doesn't arrive soon, I'm stuck without a bike over Christmas...not good!

My question is, how 'dangerous' would it be to make up my own temporary lever?

The threaded section from this is the piece I've broke:

3902.jpg

My plan was to use an M4 bolt (which the original seems to be), and replace the threaded section. I can't see any reason why this won't be ok, but its just whether the threads on the 'replacement' bolt will hold?

I've even thought of buying some cheap forks to get me through the Christmas period, but probably left it too late now :(

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    go to a machine shop and get then to make up some new threaded rod.

or cut down a bolt. cant remember if there are ones long enough. also with both ends rotating it can be fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How do you plan to 'replace' it?
  • I picked up some bolts from Focus the other day, so might lop the head off them and use one. I did think of the 'both sides rotating' issue, could be fun. Plan would be to cut a slot in one end so I can hold it with a flat screwdriver.

Ideally I want a proper replacement, but just need something to get me through a ride or two (without loosing my teeth!).

Thanks, Matt
  • mole grips would be best bet to stop them rotating
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • Might also damage threads though.

I'll come up with something :)
  • Parts didn't arrive from windwave :(

Cut an M4 bolt down today, fitted to bike and jobs a good one. Quick blast around the block and it seems ok. Will take it off-road on boxing day, take it easy and hope it holds.