The bike is saving my sanity.

CdrJake
CdrJake Posts: 296
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
I am on the verge of killing my mother, the woman is frankly driving me insane with her 'Christmas preperations'. I now understand why I have worked every Christmas for the past 18 years!

Salvation has thankfully come in the form of my father and one of his spare bikes, it has been a good excuse for some 'father/son time' just to get out of the house and away from the woman and her persistant stress.

So gents and ladies, use the bike as an excuse to get out of the house for a few hours, even if the excuse is 'Well I'm giving you a bit of space dear'. It will save your sanity and possibly a long court case. :lol:
twitter: @JakeM1969

Comments

• Likin your style there Cdr! :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Good plan Cdr Jake!

I am very very sad that I will have no bikes over xmas as I fear I too could do with some essential breathing space from family festive faffage. I foresee lots of very long dog walks instead!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'm doing both, if I'm not out on the bike I'll be walking the dog :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1. But Chilean Carminere hits the spot during those waking hours when you're not riding.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Such an ungrateful child! The poor woman slaving her guts out for her family and her beloved son has thoughts of murder in his head :shock: :shock:

What is the world coming to.................... :lol:
  • CdrJake
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Such an ungrateful child! The poor woman slaving her guts out for her family and her beloved son has thoughts of murder in his head :shock: :shock:

Oh believe me you haven't met my mother, she has already reduced the family help to tears with her behaviour and my youngest sister has already had her first arguement with mother in record time.

I've had a quiter christmas underfire in war zones :lol:
  • It's still like a bloomin' ice rink here in Essex, it's barely been above zero since the snow fell, and we've run out of grit.

As a result the back roads (including the one I live on) are pretty treacherous in a car and a no-go on a bike.

I'm seriously considering a turbo, or some rollers.

:cry:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    It's still like a bloomin' ice rink here in Essex, it's barely been above zero since the snow fell, and we've run out of grit.

I'm sure Liverpool City Council could send you some of theirs, it seems they've not used a speck of it :evil: :evil:
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    And it looks like you have just found out why your Pop cycles :lol:
    A biking runner :)
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I'm taking a road bike and an mtb back to my folks' tomorrow for just that eventuality - I expect to be out everyday until NYE to be honest!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    and her beloved son

Who you kiddin wanda ;) We've all read the stories of 'him' waxing and being a good shopper with a keen eye for ladies garments... You meant eldest daughter really. :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • CdrJake
    Cafewanda wrote:
    and her beloved son

Who you kiddin wanda ;) We've all read the stories of 'him' waxing and being a good shopper with a keen eye for ladies garments... You meant eldest daughter really. :D

I can honestly say I have never at any point shopped for ladies garments. As for the waxing, boarding school does strange things to an impressionable mind :lol:
  • CdrJake
    Hrun wrote:
    And it looks like you have just found out why your Pop cycles :lol:

No that's why he extended his service in the RN :lol:
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    iain_j wrote:
    It's still like a bloomin' ice rink here in Essex, it's barely been above zero since the snow fell, and we've run out of grit.

I'm sure Liverpool City Council could send you some of theirs, it seems they've not used a speck of it :evil: :evil:

Similar situation in an around Southampton,black ice everywhere!! this morning :x
  • CdrJake
    bradford wrote:
    iain_j wrote:

Similar situation in an around Southampton,black ice everywhere!! this morning :x

I have to admit I did catch a few blac spots of ice on the Surrey roads over the past few days, but I have stayed to the main roads on the whole in order to avoid any major problems. The only problematic section has been the lane leading to my parents house where I have almost come a cropper.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    In the mornings all the roads, even the main roads, have been treacherous here. The finding of a minor accident involving a bus was that the road hadn't been treated. Heck, they even closed a few of the motorways this afternoon :roll:
  • CdrJake wrote:
    I am on the verge of killing my mother, the woman is frankly driving me insane with her 'Christmas preperations'. I now understand why I have worked every Christmas for the past 18 years!

So starting work at 16 means you're at least 34 years old....

Time to leave home really..... :twisted:
  • CdrJake
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:

So starting work at 16 means you're at least 34 years old....

Time to leave home really..... :twisted:

I technically left home when I was 13 after being packed off to boarding school. Joined the RN at 21 after completing my degree, spent only a couple of Christmas Days at home since.

I love my mother dearly, but I really don't know how my father lives with her sometimes. :(
  • CdrJake wrote:
    I technically left home when I was 13 after being packed off to boarding school. Joined the RN at 21 after completing my degree, spent only a couple of Christmas Days at home since.

I love my mother dearly, but I really don't know how my father lives with her sometimes. :(

Just joshing you mate! :wink: However family is family after all. You only get one!

It's all part of xmas. I'm not seeing mine this year and I can only do a couple of days with them now!

You'll still love it. Have a good one.
  • CdrJake
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    CdrJake wrote:

Just joshing you mate! :wink: However family is family after all. You only get one!

It's all part of xmas. I'm not seeing mine this year and I can only do a couple of days with them now!

You'll still love it. Have a good one.

I have been home nearly a week now and it only took my mother two hours to get me to a point where I had to take long walk and join my father in the pub :lol:

A Christmas tradition for many families, regardless of class.
  • other way round for me no bike this hol as one at home is f*cked, this is causing me to have withdrawal symptoms, its horrible

:cry::cry:
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • CdrJake
    skullthaw wrote:
    other way round for me no bike this hol as one at home is f*cked, this is causing me to have withdrawal symptoms, its horrible

:cry::cry:

I didn't bring my own bike with me, although I wish I had, my father has been my life saver with his old road bike (and when I say old I mean old, this was around when God was a boy :lol: )

If I didn't have the bike as an outlet I would have a severe case of cabin fever by now :(
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Seriously considering bringing a bike back to my parents for a bit of escapism here and there...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Aidy - DOOOO IIIIIT! :)

This might sound daft, but, if you have a mtb, take that home with you and enter a mtb race (if there are any - you can check the calendar on the BC website). It doesn't matter then whether the weather is hopeless or not. :) I always like taking a break from road riding in this 'orrible weaher and doing something different.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    cjcp wrote:
    Aidy - DOOOO IIIIIT! :)

This might sound daft, but, if you have a mtb, take that home with you and enter a mtb race (if there are any - you can check the calendar on the BC website). It doesn't matter then whether the weather is hopeless or not. :) I always like taking a break from road riding in this 'orrible weaher and doing something different.

I might have the odd one or two :)
  • Cafewanda

As a result the back roads (including the one I live on) are pretty treacherous in a car and a no-go on a bike.

I'm seriously considering a turbo, or some rollers.

Balham was great - minus the side roads.
  • Cafewanda
    CdrJake wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Oh believe me you haven't met my mother, she has already reduced the family help to tears with her behaviour and my youngest sister has already had her first arguement with mother in record time.

I've had a quiter christmas underfire in war zones :lol:

i feel your pain as my siblings and I had similar 'love-ins' in the past. Fortunately Mater is overseas which helps a great deal. A 5 minute call works wonderfully and any possible complaints are quickly squashed due to 'interference on the line' or 'it's costing me a fortune Mum' :wink:
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    CdrJake wrote:
    I have been home nearly a week now

Well, I have no sympathy, you've made a elementary error, which at your age is inexcusable: it's well known that family are like fish - past their best after 3 days.

Why, oh why, did you go home so early? The rules for retaining sanity are simple (well, in the Coriander household), you arrive no earlier than just before the start of The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols at 3pm on Christmas Eve and leave after an early lunch on 27th.

And even those 71 hours are faaaaaaaaaaaar too long...

:D
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    CdrJake wrote:

Salvation has thankfully come in the form of my father and one of his spare bikes, it has been a good excuse for some 'father/son time' just to get out of the house and away from the woman and her persistant stress.

So gents and ladies, use the bike as an excuse to get out of the house for a few hours, even if the excuse is 'Well I'm giving you a bit of space dear'. It will save your sanity and possibly a long court case. :lol:
    Your mother sounds like a right Mrs Bucket or is it Bouqet, get out on that bike and see if you can find a nice watering hole to pass the time of day. :lol::lol::lol:
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    CdrJake wrote:

would love to be able to escape for sometime on the bike, but.....Looks like i'll have a long court case.

Can I get away with justifiable homicide
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666