giant trance x2 and just want to no if i can put 140 mm fork

snowy 1987
snowy 1987 Posts: 64
edited January 2010 in MTB general
hi guys i have a giant trance x2 and just want to no if i can put 140 mm fork on it.
cheers

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    does it come with 120mm forks as standard? i would have thought that another 20mm might be OK. I'd check with the manufacturer first. Also have you taken into account how this will change the geometry of the bike?
  • Naveed
    Naveed Posts: 728
    Hi there,

I had a Giant Trance X3 and I ran it with Rockshox revelations 140mm forks. It doesn't void the warranty but it does change the feel of the bike big time. I found the bike to be amazing downhill with 140mm forks and slacker geometry, sadly I felt this compromised the bike on the climbs so if you have an adjustable fork I'd advise reducing travel on the ups and letting it hang out on the descents.
  • russ0228
    russ0228 Posts: 228
    of course you can run 140. in fact i wouldn't ride mine woithout it! the stock head angle is to steep for scottish trails. i run mine with 135ish travel. (pike u turn) running with a twenty bolt through also makes more sense as it seems silly for giant to make the front end so stiff and then put on a 120 qr noodle of a fork. get either a 20mm revalation or pike on the bike and you will never look back!
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • cheers guys
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    the new high end trance x comes with a fox talas 100-140mm so i don't see why not.
    the alloy ones have 120mm, the advanced (carbon) has 140mm and both have the same geometry.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    As I said when you asked the last time, yes, apparently it works really well, in fact mbr said the new trance was the best they'd ever ridden because of its 140mm fork.
  • lol i no i put a post up befor about it but i couldnt find it anywhere so i just put a new 1 up.
    cheers for the help anyway
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i had an x1 for a short while and it was fitted with 140 uturn revelations which were excellent and suited the bike real well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2869129/

this was mine and although i only had for a very short time, it was sooper dooper.
  • @Sheepsteeth - why did you get rid of it?Just wondering as I have just got one
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I run Pikes on mine.
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    russ0228 wrote:
    of course you can run 140. in fact i wouldn't ride mine woithout it! the stock head angle is to steep for scottish trails. i run mine with 135ish travel. (pike u turn) running with a twenty bolt through also makes more sense as it seems silly for giant to make the front end so stiff and then put on a 120 qr noodle of a fork. get either a 20mm revalation or pike on the bike and you will never look back!

Forgive me, can you try again please with the comment about the "twenty bolt through". What does that mean and how does this impact the setup?
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    20mm through axle rather than a standard QR.

Stiffens up the fork to reduce any flexing.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I just took the maxle'd revelation off my Soul and replaced it with the old QR one, the only really big difference was that the maxle one was about 200 grams heavier. It was a little stiffer but I've just never found it to make a significant difference, it's slightly more accurate when pushed hard but the QR one is stiff enough.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    i c

So 20mm is the diameter of the threaded/bolty bit that goes through the hub.

That's big, so i guess DH bikes don't generally have QRs for strength.
  • DH bikes in general will have a 20mm bolt through axle, you'll see them on most major DH forks, such as fox 40's, 888's and boxxers. You also see 20mm bolt through on longer travel (>160mm) trail forks and dirt jumping forks. Obviously if you run them you'll need a different hub than if you run QR. For cross country then a QR axle will be absolutly fine, i'd only suggest a 20mm if you really need it and you're hitting some jumps / drops etc. QR is still stronger than people make out
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i run 130 mm on my old 2007 Trance and have done for the last 6 months, its much better to decsend, doesnt feel much different climbing.
    p.s the 2007 Trance comes with 100 mm forks, so on the trance x2 an extra 20mm will be fine, i say go for it, you bike will feel much better going down the fast stuff
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337