A royal

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited December 2009 in The bottom bracket
sleeps rough at centre point last night hmmm......I can imagine well enough what sleeping rough feels like without doing so..as I'm sure the future "king" can...as I'm sure anyone here can..., so what was the point of it?

Comments

• Imagining iit s one thing, experiencing it is something completely different. And, knowing that you are not going to sleep in a warm bed in a palace the following night is a lot worst.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    He probably did it to 'raise awarenes' or some other piece of PR-speak.

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Does anybody know how many empty beds there are in his various residences?
  • He still did it, have any of you? And have any of you got spare rooms?
  • Does anybody know how many empty beds there are in his various residences?

Good point

Him sleeping rough for one night aint a real test either. He knows while he's lying there next to some wino trying to shag a drug addled skanky teenager, that the next night he'll be back home tucked up warm with a nice muffin and tea out of a Royal Doulton cup.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    He still did it, have any of you? And have any of you got spare rooms?

Well said.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    ...he'd probably been watching 'The Prince and the Pauper' and thought it'd be a jolly good wheeze. His PR Advisors suggested that this would probably not be best suited to his normal disguise of a Nazi uniform.
    Cycling weakly
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    It's an insulting attempt to try and relate, from a hypocritical people... if the windsor family care, then put the money to good causes for these people I say..not insult their and our intelligence with PR tricks like a night sleeping rough at Xmas with the homeless.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    He still did it, have any of you? And have any of you got spare rooms?

+1

If we are going to have a Royal Family (which is obviously a legitimate matter of debate*) then I think this is as good as use of their time as most other things I could think of.

Equally, serving in the military. Obviously it is easy to be cynical but how many of our government ministers have had children serving in Iraq or Afganistan. I can't think of any. In some ways, this kind of stuff puts the Royals more in touch with the man on the street than our leading politicians. That's a bit depressing but hardly the Royal's fault.

*Incidently, after having been a repulican for most of my life I am now in the "well, you wouldn't invent a monarch if you were startin g frrom scratch but I can't see an obviously better option from here" camp.

J
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Prince William did NOT offer to do this as a PR stunt. IIRC He challenged Centre Point to double their efforts to help young homeless people. In response they said would he be willing to spend a night on London Streets to which he agreed.

NO ONE regardless of age/class/background etc can really understand what it is like to be homeless but at least he gave it a go. The media reports afterwards will only help the cause.

We grumble in this country about having a Monarchy saying that we should have an elected Head Of State but in the same breath say that we would not trust our elected MP's!!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I'm an agnostic when it comes to royalty, neither pro or anti but they have far more social conscience and sense of responsibility than any of the self serving carreer politicians whose sole aim is to get re-elected no matter what damage they have done in the meantime.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    The fact that he did sleep rough for a night was reported on the news and in all papers. This raised awareness for all charities involved with the homeless. I think he is the patron of one or more of that type of charity. Therefore it served its purpose as an advert and hopefully will raise more money for those causes. Job done.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fair do's for him doing it. You can't knock him for doing itif it will help a charity in any way.
  • Didn't he use to visit such places as homeless shelters with his mother? I don't think its an issue thats suddenly crossed his mind as something to highlight in order to up his popularity so any cheap shots seem a bit mean-spirited.
  • If it serves as a reminder to us more fortunate what's the problem?

We post on here and the notion of being homeless seems a million miles away but it only needs the fickle finger of fate to conspire against you and, well, you never know. There are people that have lived at far loftier heights than myself that have found themselves sleeping rough.

There but for the grace of god goes any of us.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    yes. its a time to be human and reflect on the plight of some while you warm your toes on the fire.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    rake wrote:
    yes. its a time to be human and reflect on the plight of some while you warm your toes on the fire.

I find every time I walk past a homeless person I do feel that little bit warmer and better off.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson