Review on a Giant Reign 07 please??

jimbo-norco
jimbo-norco Posts: 333
edited December 2009 in MTB general
Hi guys, Ive been looking to change my DH/FR bike for a while now to something more AM as I want to do trail centres and general commuting etc. and Ive been offered a Giant Reign 07 with loads of nice spec parts on it such as 66's, dt swiss wheels, hope hubs, blackspire chain device etc.
question is, what are they like?? Ive never looked much at Giant, and he says that its about 37lbs, is that light enough?? would it be good for trail centres and climbing hills? (although anythings better than my DH bike at that!)

Just after some general oppinions please!
thanks!

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    depends which one.

but they all have the renowned maestro suspension which is very good for climbing and everything else

IMO for general AM and trail centre riding i would make it a bit lighter but 37lbs should be a big difference from your DH bike.

btw how much and have you got any pics?
  • He says its just the normal one, ive seen some photos but theyre crap, hes gonna get some better ones tomorrow, it looks grey if that narrows it down?? he wants 900 for it and I want 800 for mine so trade and money his way
  • jay12
    is it this one giant06_reign2_side_hi.jpg

that seems like a pretty good deal
  • heres the link dunno if it works pbpic4380215.jpg
  • jay12
    that looks like the reign 1.
    if i were you he wouldn't even have it anymore :lol:
  • just as long as its suited to what i need Its mine :D and from what you said it sounds right!
  • jay12
    is the fork 160mm?
    if so it might be a bit long for the frame as the original came with 140mm and this might put some stress on the frame. if so the forks would be the first thing i would change
  • I assume so being 66 RC2 ETA's, arent 66's height adjustable though??
  • jay12
    if they are the air versions then you can put them down to 140mm whish is good, but if they are the coil ones then they would be 180mm which would not suite the frame
  • hmm ill look into it, those forks should still be worth a few bob though shouldnt they?? what should I get instead?
  • actually I think theyre air cos theyre the ETA ones, with the height reduction for climbing, cant see that working on a coil spring??
  • jay12
    yeah, ask him what model and year the forks are and then i could help.

instead you have options of
    Rock Shox Revelation
    Rock Shox Pike
    Fox 32 vannila
    fox 32 float
  • 2007 66 RC2 ETA they are

thanks for your help mate much appreciated!
  • jay12
    thats good but if your looking at reducing weight in the futre then forks would be the first thing.

make sure you post some pics in the your rides section

and no problem, it gives me a good feeling :lol:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    question is, what are they like?? Ive never looked much at Giant, and he says that its about 37lbs, is that light enough?? would it be good for trail centres and climbing hills?

You could lose about 5lbs in weight on that and you'd still be over-biked for most trail centres. Reckon that even Remedy 8s and Alpine 160s are creeping towards 30lbs.

Get rid of the forks, cranks and wheels and put something on it more suited to what it was designed for and you might be somewhere near.

Oh and you'd be better off walking than commuting on it...

£650 tops.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • The Giant Reign is a great bike IMO. I have an '07 Reign and love it pieces. Here she is:

Random044.jpg

I don't quite know how much mine weighs right enough, but it isn't anywhere near 37lbs I'd say! It still isn't light either, but I certainly have no issues at trail centres when climbing and the descents are an absolute blast on it.

Go for it :wink:
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • jay12
    Broonster
    i'm a fan of the 07 reign but haven't got one but thats is a nice ride
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    You can build the Reigns up close if not below 30lbs. My Reign X (in my sig) is 33lbs, could quite easily get it to 31.

Really impressed with how the Reigns ride. Very good uphill and downhill, coped really well in the Alps summer just gone.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i doubt very much you would get a 07 reign near 31lb id say 33lb lightest unless you go stupid with xc racing parts.

i had a 08 reign (lighter frame) with fox floats, RF evolve xc cranks, dt swiss hubs,wtb rims, x9 gears, racing ralf tyres ect and came in at over 32lb.