Upper Body Armour

DanielleT
DanielleT Posts: 259
edited January 2010 in Women
Hello People!

I'm looking for some armour as i've just got in to DH and thought its best to try and protect myself in some way! I've noticed there isn't much in the way of womens specific armour but I've seen the RockGardn Flak, Aplinestars Stella Bionic and the IXS Battle EVO Jackets. I was just wondering what everyone else uses and whether you've goen for womens specific or have got away with the mens versions?

Thanks! :D
delightfully dangerous!

Comments

• I know exactly what you mean!! I'm just getting into DH aswell and the choice for womens kit is rubbish!!! I bought a size small 661 Pressure suit off Ebay and it was too big. I'm 5ft 2" and 9 stone. I think you'll be alright if you're bigger built but if not, womens specific is the way to go. I'm planning on the Alpinestars Stella in the new year. Same goes for Jerseys!! I bought 'smalls' from 3 different companys and they were all too big!!

What makes this so annoying is, I would happily buy mens kit as its loads cheaper than the womens!! :roll:
    Pain is Temporary, Glory is forever!
  • Its rubbish isn't it! I'm 5ft 6" and just over 9 stone, so not massively built. I tried on my boyfriends 661 armour which is a small, but it swamped me! I really like the look of the IXS one, but its so expensive! Suppose its just going to be a case of trying loads on and hoping something fits. The companies are really missing out not providing decent sized and priced kit for girls! Ah well :)
    delightfully dangerous!
  • SJ
    SJ Posts: 2,871
    I'm in a similar boat but on the other end of the scale, been riding and racing DH for a few years with no armour because as a large busted lady there is nothing out there that fits!
    Friends use the Alpinestars and Rockgardn armour and give good reviews of them both if that's any help?!
    a dirtbag of the most delightful variety
  • Ah well..........after fighting with the fabric tape measure over the weekend, I have finally put my order in for IXS Battle Evo armour. Should be here thursday...I hope!
    Annoyingly...when I measured up I seem to fall within the highest limits in the xsml/sml and the smallest limits in the sml/med... :roll:

I settled on the sml/med so i'll have to wait and see! I'll let you know the verdict!!
    Had a bit of a spend up actually (on the boyfriends credit card...whoops :lol: )
    I went for Raceface DIY ladies knee/shin, No Fear pants & Jerseys (which will be too big no doubt, so will ask mum nicely to get here sewing machine out!!!!) & some very rad Oakley Crowbar Goggles to match the beautiful Troy Lee D2 (previous purchase!!!) :D

Chicksands here I come!!!!!
  • DanielleT
    Awesome Little T!

You'll defo have to let us know how it fits, i'm still no closer to getting any yet!

I did get myself a shiny new lid though. I got a 661 Carbon Evo, was meant to be £200 got it for £90! :D
    Knee and shin pads I went for the 661 Race Knee & Shin, I did try the Raceface DIY Ladies, thought they were good but I preferred the 661's sleve round the back of the knee, all I need now is some snazzy goggles and some body armour! Hopefully all in time for my race in April! Eek! :lol:
    delightfully dangerous!
  • SJ
    How exciting for you both! Loads of new kit to play with!
    Danielle, which race are you doing?
  • DanielleT
    SJ wrote:
    How exciting for you both! Loads of new kit to play with!
    Danielle, which race are you doing?

Hi SJ,

Got a newDakine back pack yesterday too off my boyf for my birthday!

Its Descent-Gear clipped in at Easter! I haven't entered yet as i'm still not 100% sure if i'm good enough to start racing yet. My boyf thinks it an ideal event to start off at as the Moelfre track isn't too bad?? The plan is to go for a uplift weekend before and get to know the track :? We will have to see! :lol:
    delightfully dangerous!
  • Our Survey Says................BIG Thumbs up for the IXS Battle Evo Jacket.

Worth every penny so far!. It fits a treat and has so many different adjustments to it. Very well made and thought out for that extra bit of comfort. I'm stoked and would defo recommend to any of the girls. The RaceFace DIY 'legs' are also an awesome bit of kit, nice and snug and very comfortable.

Had a look at some video of the Moelfre track, looks like a right laugh. I was planning on entering a couple of the mini downhills in Jan and Feb just to get warmed up to the season!!!!! :lol:
  • Boyfs are great aren't they!!!! :wink:
  • SJ
    Mini DH's are a good place to start.
    The tracks are fun and short enough for you to get a feel for racing and you get loads of beginners racing them too, plus they're cheap!
  • DanielleT
    Wicked! Glad it is good! I've found myself something to use for the mean time until I've saved enough pennies, and hopefully the price will drop too, for the IXS Battle Evo. I found myself a 661 Pro Pressure suit in an extra small at JeJames, what a lucky find! Got it half price too so it'll do until for now. Its fits quite well with only the chest plate standing off a little due to the obvious woman factor of boobs!

Decided and have told the boyfriend that I want to do some mini DH's first just to get in to the swing of things before entering anything more, I don't want to make a fool of myself by entering something I may not be ready for! ! :lol:
    delightfully dangerous!