Top Fuel 9.9

njee20
njee20 Posts: 9,613
edited January 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Had this for a month or so now, but finally got around to riding it yesterday, seems to go pretty quickly.

Few pics here

Don't think you can post Fotopic photos on here can you!?

The XX is impressive, very quick shifting. Few more mods to make, ZTR Podium wheels, New Ultimate seat mast, ti Egg Beaters for summer use and maybe a SID fork depending on whether the Fox ever feels any better than it does at the moment! Bike climbs better than I'd expected, having come from an Epic.[/img]

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    woah that must have cost loads!!

nyway that looks really nice. have fun riding it and getting it dirty
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    looks nice man, have fun riding it. looks sweet
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    great ride liking the new xx stuff
  • njee20
    Cheers guys, didn't cost that much as I benefit from trade prices :-)

The XX is definitely impressive, but I'd question whether it's worth the money... £300 for a cassette I'm not so sure about!
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    How much does it weigh???
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Very nice Trek Buddy, 8)
    is that stem a aftermarket one
    never heard of the New ultimate.
  • very nice :shock:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited December 2009
    Lovely bike.

I can see a lot of Pro/Semi Pro racers switching from XTR to XX, the weight savings are just to great to be ignored, around 300 grams for the groupset I think.

I agree those cassettes are expensive but the machining that's gone into them is amazing. CNC machined from billet steel :shock: it must feel very stiff.

I think the engineers brief must have been design us the lightest, stiffest groupset you can irrespective of price.
  • As those cassettes take 9 hours to machine, i'd say 300 is about right.
  • njee20
    Sorry, Christmas getting in the way of internet, how rude of the family!

It currently weighs just over 21.5lbs as seen there with the Mud X tyres. Come the race season I'm changing to some ZTR Podium wheels, ti Egg Beaters, lighter tyres etc, which will get it under 20lbs hopefully.

The New Ultimate stem is after market, they're a Danish company who do really nice lightweight subtle stuff, think KCNC but lighter and less gaudy! I'm the UK distributor, so it makes sense to use it! The white 100mm stem is 102g, and still cheaper than Thomson! They do a 34.0 seatmast for it too, so I've got one of those on order, that should drop a chunk of weight over the Bontrager one, and look nicer!

Yeah I do agree about the 'value' of the cassette, they're beautifully made and the weight is really impressive, that 11-36 still weighs less than an XTR M970 after all! The shifting on the front mech is very impressive particularly, the lever throw and shift speed is akin to shifting on the rear of most other groupsets!

There's rumours of XX Grip Shift appearing later next year, which I suspect I will adopt, just can't beat it for racing!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    i'm amazed you can actually put spesh wheels on a trek without both exploding on contact
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • njee20
    Hmmm indeed, I just couldn't justify keeping the XXX Lites, sure they're very nice, but crazy expensive and not very light!
  • thats a Very nice bike there matey!
    great weight for a full sus too! very envious!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    That`s a real cracker, lucky boy 8)
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • Drool!!! :P

If i had the money one of these would be on my list
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Thats an insanely nice bike but if it was mine i would have to put an XTR triple on the front, other than that i really cant see how it could be improved upon.

Im extremely jealous :oops: :D
  • Kall
    Kall Posts: 28
    Absolutley stunning! I have a EX9 but sooo want a carbon version!! :D

Might have to swap to the Top Fuel next time!! :lol:
  • Lovely bike, lucky fella