your hieght and your frame size??

freeride-mike
freeride-mike Posts: 553
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
im considering a new frame/bike bcoz my riding style is changing and im doin more xc these days, i currently have a 14" jump frame but the seat is right up most of the time and i wondered what size would be bout right for me im 5ft10???? :D
CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what ever one fits best.

frame "size" means bugger all except that it is different to another of the same model by the same maker.

get your butt on a few sadles and get to see what fits YOU.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    its an almost inmpossible task to tell you what sze you need as frames vary etc etc blah blah.

for the most part i would say you would be best suited to a medium in pretty much any bike.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    i'm 5 ft 9" and ride a medium frame (17.5 ") HT.
  • Im 6 ft 2 and ride a medium.

I prefer the shorter cock pit, but do have to bash my seat right up.

Neil
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I am 5'9" and always take a "medium" frame for both mountain and road bikes.

for example, my Marin is a 17.5" and my On-One is an 18". That being said I do prefer a slightly longer cockpit, if coming from a jump bike you will be used to a smaller cockpit.

Best thing would be to try out some bikes either at your LBS or even on demo if you can (or borrow a friends bike if thats possible) and see what feels right
  • 5ft 8
    20 inch frame which fits brilliantly :)
  • I'm 6' dead on and use a 17" frame.
    I like a smaller frame that I can hustle about and just ramp the seat post up a bit.
    YOUR name on MY Triumph Race bike: From only a tenner

Orange Five

Triumph Daytona 675 2010 SuperStock Race Bike
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    5' 8" 18.5
    5' 8" 17.5
    5' 3" 15.5
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I'm 5ft 10in as well and have a 17" 17.5" 18" and a 19" it all depends on the frame for that bike, so its always best to try it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    6'2". I look like a bear on a tricycle on a 17-18" MTB :)
  • I had a similar issue the other day when I was buying my 1st MTB in years.

I went to the specialized shop in Chester, who made me try loads of different frame sizes against what sort of riding I will be doing.

I'm 6ft 4", and now have a 21" frame. Seems to fit me quite well.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    5'8" with a 19 frame MTB, I prefer the longer seating position as I also ride a roadie as well.

Some people prefer a smaller frame, maybe it is more manoverable?

It comes down to tring them out and seeing what suits best.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I am 6ft and so I should ride a large Pinnacle frame (19.5 inches), had one for 11 months and the top-tube way too high for my short legs.

Have recently purchased a 16 inch frame and built it up, the top-tube is only slightly lower on the new frame. But the top-tube length is shorter, so it feels more responsive and chuckable.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I ride a 14inch jump bike, a 17 inch GT Ruckus, an 18 inch GT Zaskar Team, an 18 inch Zaskar LE that actually measures 20.5 the traditional way and in the past have had a 22 inch framed Emmelle hack bike.

So 14-22...

Try some out, they vary a lot.
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    6'1" with an XL which equates to just under 21". For some reason the bike doesn't feel that big at all
  • wow looks like my best option is too decide on my bike/frame then mayb try some differents sizes see whats right for me..... thanks for all the responses folks :D

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    no worries pal , theres never a right or wrong answer for this topic.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    6' 2" and ride a L 19.5"
  • 6ft 2.

I comfortably ride bikes of sizes 15", 16" 17.5" and 19.5".

Try before you buy.
  • 5'10" with a 17" MTB frame & a 18" Road bike frame
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • DC01
    DC01 Posts: 333
    Im 6ft and my trek EX is a 19.5. My Spesh Rockhopper is a 19 but shorter in the top tube and felt more natural as soon as i rode it. Took alot more fettling and money (stems, in line seat post etc) with my Trek and still not 100% happy with it. In hind sight i should ve one for the 18.5, and its nagged at me ever since. What the manufacturers guide you to a particular size and in some cases an LBS, i would take it with a pinch of salt. If anything top tube length i find is more critical than a particular size. So ultimatly you should try before you buy. Which just repeats the advice already given. I learnt the hard way and even though i test rode it and found it ok. It weren t till i had a go of a friends 18.5 that i realised what a massive testi i had dropped.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    edited December 2009
    I'm 6'2" and ride an 18" frame for general MTB, mainly because I have very long legs (sky high seatpost) and a reletively normal length back so it is the virtual top tube length that matters that is the number that you need to look at if you feel comfy on a 14" jump bike measure horizontal from the stem to the seat when it's level and you'll have a starting point.

edit for spelling
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • captainfly wrote:
    I'm 6'2" and ride an 18" frame for general MTB, mainly because I have very long legs (sky high seatpost) and a reletively normal length back so it is the vertual top tube length that matters that is the number that you need to look at if you feel comfy on a 14" jump bike measure horizontal from the stem to the seat when it's level and you'll have a starting point.

yeah i feel comfier in the more upright position of my jump frame so maybe a shorter top tube is somthing i will look at, cheers

• Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    Size is a tricky thing. I just bought a Giant Yukon FX. A 'guess your size' sale to be honest. Got myself a 19' frame, but i am 6'2 myself and what do you know - fits like a glove!
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    5'11" and I ride a 19" Gary Fisher Hifi Pro. I shortened the 110mm stem to a 70mm and it fits me fine :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • daviebroon wrote:
    I'm 6ft 4", and now have a 21" frame. Seems to fit me quite well.

Same here.
    Do it.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    height- 5ft 9"
    hardtail - 17.5"
    bouncer-18"
    road bike-54cm
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Height 6'4

MTB 18"
    Road Bike 53.5 cm

I have short legs and can't be doing with crushing my nuts on the top tube therefore smaller frames.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What models? The sizes mean nothing.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    What models? The sizes mean nothing.

So true and height means bugger all as well as some people have short legs and visa-versa.

but there is no telling them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown