Do you need specific shoes for Look Keo easy pedal cleats?

janwal
janwal Posts: 489
edited December 2009 in Road beginners
I fancy trying Look Keo easy pedals on my road bike.I have a pair of mtb shoes that take cleats for spd type pedals( but did not use them much off road as I could not get used to them).Will the cleats for the Keo fit on these or will I need a different type of solid sole shoe?

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    No chance of that - you'll need 3-bolt compatible shoes. Just go to somewhere like Wiggle and look at "Shoes - Road" and you'll be spoilt for choice :wink:
  • Hang on! You can get a conversion thing which will convert mtd spd shoes to take road cleats if you want to save a few bob. When I have a chance I'll a link..
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • No - made a mistake there, the adaptor I was thinking of works the other way round spd sl to spd

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano- ... 49018.html
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • pianoman
    But isn't that going to be more trouble than it's worth once you've taken into account the huge increase in stack height?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Answering OP's question,

if your current SPD shoes just have the two slots with the plates behind to screw the SPD's into, but don't have three fixed bolt holes in a triangular pattern, then you'll need new shoes.

If they have the three holes, you can use them
  • Or u could do as some people on here do and put your spd's on the road bike. If u like it and use it enough then upgrade to a road set up. I've got keo easy's and find once adjusted to fit right they're perfectly fine for my use.
  • pianoman
    Just remember that with Keo Easy pedals you can't adjust the spring tension.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but they're designed to be easy to get in and out of - hence the name. Which is great at the beginning. However, if the tension is too low in the pedal spring you could pull your foot out the pedals when pushing particularly hard. Consider some Keo Classics at least - not much price difference (£10 more on average) and you can adjust the spring tension on these.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use my Lake MX165 shoes which are deep tread MTB shoes and have XTR pedals fitted to my defy 1 road bike, I get some strange looks from fellow roadies but I find them stiff enough for my kind of riding, I'm not racing. And when I want a coffee I can hop off the bike and walk without looking like I have bottom sores.