Copenhagen Cycling

cjw
cjw Posts: 1,889
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/n ... agen-24426

Absolutely incredible. Shows what is possible with the will.
London to Paris Forum
http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
Focus Izalco Team

Comments

• Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    I always think Copenhagen has a bit of an unfair advantage though. Granted, they have great bike infrastructure and support, but it is pretty much flat, so most of the battle for getting people on bikes is won already.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Slimbods wrote:
    I always think Copenhagen has a bit of an unfair advantage though. Granted, they have great bike infrastructure and support, but it is pretty much flat, so most of the battle for getting people on bikes is won already.

Most big cities are flat though aren't they? I mean Paris, Milan, New York.

And even if they aren't, take San Francisco: probably even more fun cycling around! Infact I remember their cycling infrastructure is actually aimed at the fitness cyclist too, with excellent challenges all around.

Besides, cycling doesn't have to be the sole form of transportation: cable cars, buses, underground + cycle hire scheme: the few areas where cycling is difficult can be negotiated by making transporting a bicycle less of a chore.

Maybe they could invent a system like on ski resorts, where you jump in a cable car and you hang your bike to the outside of the car.

There are ways around it, so it is not the lack of ideas the problem, but the lack of execution.
  • Went to Denmark some years ago ad the culture isn't just in the city. The Danes I met considered anyone who drove on journeys under 5 miles nutters.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    fnegroni wrote:
    Slimbods wrote:
    Most big cities are flat though aren't they? I mean Paris, Milan, New York.

Sure, but we don't all live in these flat places. I like to cycle, but I admit it's hard work here with hills and weather. The 'lead by example' use of copenhagen seems to completely ignore the fact that it's flat and perfect for non fitness cycling.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Slimbods wrote:
    Sure, but we don't all live in these flat places. I like to cycle, but I admit it's hard work here with hills and weather. The 'lead by example' use of copenhagen seems to completely ignore the fact that it's flat and perfect for non fitness cycling.
    Weather?! We're talking about Copenhagen here. Or, even more a cycling city, Amsterdam. Oh no, I forgot, the Continent is warm and sunny. :roll:

I agree to some extend with the flatness argument; some cities, like Sheffield, are just not built for easy everyday cycling for everyone. But most larger UK cities would be fine for getting around on a no-gear heavy Dutch/Danish town bike.