invite to cycle with the new team SKY

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited January 2010 in Pro race
if you are on Facebook and are a fan of the new Team SKY you will have recieved an invite to ride with the team,

apparently this is in the 'London Area' and you have to be available of the 4th of Jan at short notice, its being limited to 300 places and you need to give your mobile so you will be told the secret start point at 8AM

too far for me am afraid for a ride on a whim ...

Comments

• Nice heads up, registered fingers crossed, off that day so would be good!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yep off that day to and only live about 8 miles from the O2.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    if you are on Facebook and are a fan of the new Team SKY you will have recieved an invite to ride with the team,

apparently this is in the 'London Area' and you have to be available of the 4th of Jan at short notice, its being limited to 300 places and you need to give your mobile so you will be told the secret start point at 8AM

too far for me am afraid for a ride on a whim ...

How can you be a fan of a team that hasn't even raced yet?

;-)
  • Great - another London centric idea :roll:

There are other bloody cities in the UK
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I thought Sky's UK base was Manchester? Rather poor to do it in London.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The media are in London + Sky wants a photo op = London
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The cycling base may be Manchester - but Sky HQ is London innit ?

Its a nice idea - they cant be everywhere for all of their fans.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Kléber wrote:
    The media are in London + Sky wants a photo op = London
    +1 This is quite obviously 1 x massive PR stunt and nothing whatsoever to do with fans.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I guess Team Sky should hold public rides all over the UK just to appease the 'fans'.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Kléber
    The team is being launched to the media. The whole purpose of the team is to give Sky, News Corp. etc publicity so obviously it makes sense to do this in the capital, not in, say, Norwich, Dundee or Salford.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Pokerface wrote:
    I guess Team Sky should hold public rides all over the UK just to appease the 'fans'.

Yet Armstrong managed to do it in Glasgow and Dublin which are not media centres.
    M.Rushton
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    mrushton wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Yet Armstrong managed to do it in Glasgow and Dublin which are not media centres.

Hardly the same thing though.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    sampras38 wrote:
    mrushton wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Hardly the same thing though.

Yea one was an invatation to a load of cyclists to ride with a pro and the other is an invitation to a load of cyclists to ride with a few pros
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Pokerface
    Team Sky are under no obligation to invite the fans to ANY rides. And so, they DO invite some fans - to coincide with a press event they are having to introduce the team, and all some people can do is moan that it's in London and not somewhere else.

It's a pro cycling team and not an amusement ride that caters to the public's every whim.

I think it's a nice gesture and am jealous of those people that will be able to go along. Assuming the roads are clear enough to get out by then!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Great - another London centric idea :roll:

There are other bloody cities in the UK

Perhaps they're scared of people nicking their bikes oop north :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'd like to the ride myself and understand the media thing but Armstrong demonstrated the power of Twitter so no reason SKY can't do a similar thing using different riders in various locations.
    M.Rushton
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    OK, so after the London ride, could we please see them in Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh?
  • moray_gub
    Pokerface wrote:
    Assuming the roads are clear enough to get out by then!

Youve had youre light flurry of snow mate your country should be able to get itself back on its feet by then . Would hate to see you still in a state of emergency like............. :lol:
  • Pokerface
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Youve had youre light flurry of snow mate your country should be able to get itself back on its feet by then . Would hate to see you still in a state of emergency like............. :lol:

Personally, I grew up where there's 4 months of deep winter, minus 50 degree weather and several feet of snow for weeks at a time. And I used to ride my bike to work in it.

But around here half an inch of snow seems to cripple everyone way worse than the Canadian winters ever could!
  • moray_gub
    Pokerface wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Personally, I grew up where there's 4 months of deep winter, minus 50 degree weather and several feet of snow for weeks at a time. And I used to ride my bike to work in it.

But around here half an inch of snow seems to cripple everyone way worse than the Canadian winters ever could!

Yea up here in Scotland its a source of great amusement at workplaces over how our Southern neighbours seem to be wholly incapable of dealing with inclement weather and how the London based media go into overdrive with sensationalist headlines when really its nothing more than large parts of Northern Britian get every other week. But anyway i digress back to Sky good luck for anybody that wants to go on their ride.
  • Got the text and confirmed my attendance WHOOOOOO!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Got the text and confirmed my attendance WHOOOOOO!

Enjoy. I hope the weather is kind.

Is a text message a form of contract? If so, be wary, Sky might not be great at respecting it
    :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I also just got my text, but as I've off work sick today and probably will be tomorrow I'm not sure I can get away with asking for a day off on Monday... will have to speak to my boss tomorrow and try my luck. I just hope the "short notice" on Monday isn't too short as I'm an hour's cycle from central London.
  • Kléber
    You're all being used in a PR stunt! Enjoy it though...
  • It starts at 9:00. I will cycle up to London to get there by 8:00 ish, find somewhere for breakfast and hope that the start isn't in East London and I have just cycled past it. :roll:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Kléber wrote:

No shit sherlock! Not everyday though is it you get to ride with a pro team.

Gutted I never got a text :cry: Already had a day off booked as well.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

No shoot sherlock! Not everyday though is it you get to ride with a pro team.

Well I probably could if I wanted, most of the cyclists around Manchester are the GB Track Squad, probably couldn't keep up though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    No text for me. I really wanted to go to work anyway :shock:
    exercise.png
  • Spotted the Sky bus and vehicles this afternoon... looking good so far.
    FCN 4
  • Will it be called off if the roads are icy?