Settle circular - Yorkshire Dale

glastored
glastored Posts: 9
edited December 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hello

I am travelling up to Settle, Yorkshire Dales, on Sunday for a week and was planning on getting out for a couple of days and doing some cycling.

I'm hoping to do this cicrular route from Settle via Halton Gill, Threshfield and Airton.
http://www.cyclethedales.org.uk/ctd-settle_circular.pdf

Now after all the snow I am having second thoughts on the cycling.
Can anyone tell me if the circular route is gritted and would it be safe to cycle next week please?
I was hoping to do it on Tuesday 29th December.

Thanks for your help
Stu

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If it hasn't warmed up by then it could be quite dicey. I'm planning on doing some cycling a bit further north on Monday and I'm just going to decide on the day based on the condition of the roads.
    More problems but still living....
  • I spent many years living in that area - I'd be amazed if the road over to Halton Gill will be gritted. However, on the bright side - it's due to clear up by then!
    As an alternative, not quite as far and less hilly - so if you are looking for lumpy stuff, may not fit the bill (but more likely to get cleared) you could look at a round a Ingleborough ride. Settle-Lawkland-Austwick-Clapham-Ingleton-Ribblehead-Horton-Helwith Bridge-Settle. Roughly 30 miles, (with several options to extend) and about 2500ft of climbing
    Rick

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • I spent many years living in that area - I'd be amazed if the road over to Halton Gill will be gritted. However, on the bright side - it's due to clear up by then!
    As an alternative, not quite as far and less hilly - so if you are looking for lumpy stuff, may not fit the bill (but more likely to get cleared) you could look at a round a Ingleborough ride. Settle-Lawkland-Austwick-Clapham-Ingleton-Ribblehead-Horton-Helwith Bridge-Settle. Roughly 30 miles, (with several options to extend) and about 2500ft of climbing
    Rick

thanks for the suggestion - I will bear that in mind...