Gareth Thomas

2»

Comments

• Timoid. wrote:
    Lighten up. It was a joke. Sort of. My wife lived for three years in Caerphilly in the not too distant past and some of the attitudes of the people that lived there make the west of Ireland look progressive (which before you start is where I am from).

Once a player comes out in his prime and nobody notices, then there is tolerance. If Gareth Thomas had come out 10 years ago, he wouldn't have had the same career.

I think a lot of people on here read the Independent.

All it needs is the first one, then everyone (i.e. the Daily Mail brigade) can get over themselves and get on with life. I'd love it if Vale Rossi came out. Even if he isn't gay. Rooney would be a perfect candidate. Just as he's holding the world cup aloft, reveal that his Mrs is just a beard... Give everyone something to choke over their breakfast at, then move on with life.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I come from the heartland of Welsh rugby, Lived here all my life and I'd say (unfortunately) that Timoid's stereotype was a pretty fair one. I'm racking my brains here but in nearly 40 years of life, I haven't known an openly gay man.

There are a lot of rumours about the reason Ruddock left and some of them involve him referring to Gareth in a derogatory way, so I wouldn't be so quick to judge on why he left.
  • Honestly who really gives a screw. Unless you fancy him and you think youre in with a chance?

All those right on liberal comments jeez if you were that liberal it wouldnt warrant any comment at all. Unless youre impressesd and fancy a bit of action yourselves perhaps??

Happy christmas Gay boys
  • Sfelt
    Sfelt Posts: 55
    Im the only GAY in the village............well I was..........
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    markwalker wrote:
    Honestly who really gives a screw. Unless you fancy him and you think youre in with a chance?

All those right on liberal comments jeez if you were that liberal it wouldnt warrant any comment at all. Unless youre impressesd and fancy a bit of action yourselves perhaps??

Happy christmas Gay boys

I was wondering when you might pipe up with your shite. What "right on liberal comments" might these be?
  • why would it be such a big deal if a pro rider was gay or any other preference , its none of our business , would it make them any less of a cyclist i dont think so ? its only the nudge nudge wink wink brigade who would make somethink of it . :?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    +1 to markwalker and brakelever. Never understood the big deal about any celebs coming out.
  • Garry H
    iain_j wrote:
    +1 to markwalker and brakelever. Never understood the big deal about any celebs coming out.

I think there's less pressure on "celebs" to come that though than there is on a top-flight sportsman taking part in what's very much a "macho" sport. I think that being gay is more "accepted" in some areas of life than it is in others. Having said that, I don't actually know any Welsh rugby fans that didn't "know" he was gay, or gave a monkeys that he was/is.

I agree with Brakelever in that people shouldn't actually care what he does with his willy, within the confines of the law. However, as Mark demonstrates, some people still have issues with the whole "gay thing".
  • Garry H wrote:
    iain_j wrote:

I think there's less pressure on "celebs" to come that though than there is on a top-flight sportsman taking part in what's very much a "macho" sport. I think that being gay is more "accepted" in some areas of life than it is in others. Having said that, I don't actually know any Welsh rugby fans that didn't "know" he was gay, or gave a monkeys that he was/is.

I agree with Brakelever in that people shouldn't actually care what he does with his willy, within the confines of the law. However, as Mark demonstrates, some people still have issues with the whole "gay thing".

Gary H It only demonstrates that you have issues. My point was that it matters so little only homophobes and the socially backward ( or scared to come out) would really give a shi t.

Which are you?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    In "celebs" I included sportsmen/women. Anyone in the public eye.

To be honest I've never understood why it's such a huge deal to so many people, what celebs do in their private lives (within the law, as you say). The papers are full of it, the mags are full of it, it's all they ever go on about at work... sheesh. Live your own life.
  • Garry H
    markwalker wrote:

Gary H It only demonstrates that you have issues. My point was that it matters so little only homophobes and the socially backward ( or scared to come out) would really give a shi t.

Which are you?[/quote]

You've got me there Mark, I'd better tell the wife before it gets in the papers.
  • Garry H
    iain_j wrote:
    In "celebs" I included sportsmen/women. Anyone in the public eye.

To be honest I've never understood why it's such a huge deal to so many people, what celebs do in their private lives (within the law, as you say). The papers are full of it, the mags are full of it, it's all they ever go on about at work... sheesh. Live your own life.

I know what you meant. My point was that "celebs" covers a wide platform, and that less people would bat an eyelid if a celebrity hairdresser (Yes, I know I'm making a sweeping generalisation, but it's only for affect) would come out than when a pro rugby player comes out.

Anyway, I only stepped in to defend the Welsh :?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    If I remember correctly an article I read a while back, there was only one (male) gay athlete in the last but one Olympics, or maybe it was the Beijing one, can't remember.

Anyway, he was an Australian diver.

More open lesbians in sport though. I'm wracking my brain to work out why, but I think that we straight women are far more tolerant of lesbians than straight men are of gay men. Because historically we don't feel threatened. And I don't think it's that these men are thinking of being cruel, they just feel the need to follow the pack more. And once that pack changes direction, they have no problem accepting gay men for what they are.

I could be wrong.

Gay friend says he is always hurt by otherwise friendly men in the changing room who suddenly covering their dangly bits when he comes out the shower. He says they only tend to do this when there is more than one in the changing area.

Lesbian friends in ladies' changing area have no such problem. We just carry on gossiping, bitching and displaying our cellulite.
  • Tusher wrote:
    If I remember correctly an article I read a while back, there was only one (male) gay athlete in the last but one Olympics, or maybe it was the Beijing one, can't remember.

Anyway, he was an Australian diver.

quote]

Not a muff diver though Ill wager ;)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Groan :)