Loss of changing facility..

ince
ince Posts: 289
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Had a nice ride into work on Friday, locked the bike up and headed off to get changed in the one WC in the building which has a wash basin in a lockable cubical. The same cubical I have been using for the past two years to get a wash in the morning.

Come 4pm on Friday, home time. I head off to said WC only to find it locked with a note "toilet to be permanently closed" ... :shock:

No warning or indications this was going to happen. That's it, the one meager facility I have in this office to get a wash and changed without the risk of anyone walking in gone.

Now I am waiting for the rest of the business to start work to start my one man campaign (I am the sole bike computer in the building) to get it reopened. Anyone have experience of this, best course of action etc? All advice welcome.

Comments

• First course of action: find out why.
  • ince
    Well I raised my issues with the building manager (chance meeting in a stairwell). Closed due to lack of headcount to number of WC. Seen as not needed.

He was very positive and raised my requirements with the MD. Had my area manager chase it up and it now looks like it's going to get a change of use from a WC to a wash room :D

Happy days.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Just get changed at your desk like a guy in my (large, open plan) office does. Walking past his shoulder level partition at the wrong time can be a disturbing experience.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Changing facility, what is that?

Actually I have the disabled lav at work, although its a hike round the office so I use a conference room (they have locking doors) by my desk instead!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • El Gordo wrote:
    Just get changed at your desk like a guy in my (large, open plan) office does. Walking past his shoulder level partition at the wrong time can be a disturbing experience.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I used to work with a lady who rode her motorbike to work. She would arrive in her motorbike gear, put her skirt on top of the trousers and then, take them off, "protected" b said skirt. All this in the same situation as your guy there, in view of everyone. Then one day she was told to stop doing that one day. There were 2 toilets nearby, for chrissakes!
  • ince wrote:
    Well I raised my issues with the building manager (chance meeting in a stairwell). Closed due to lack of headcount to number of WC. Seen as not needed.

He was very positive and raised my requirements with the MD. Had my area manager chase it up and it now looks like it's going to get a change of use from a WC to a wash room :D

Happy days.

Excellent! Happy days indeed! 8)
  • ince
    Yep just a case of keeping up a little pressure to make sure it happens.
  • I get changed at my desk most of the time, sod em, I'm not shy.
    maybe next time they choose some offices with somewhere other that a crappy bog to get changed in....there isn't even a disabled bog (usually a safe bet in most offices)
  • Just to upset you we've got the luxury of a shower room on each floor of the building, and they have just refurbed it with three separate shower rooms and lockers... :D
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    ince wrote:

Happy days.

What's the difference? Same but minus bog? Surely it would cost money to take the bog out? Maybe this would cost more than the water, disinectant and toilet paper it would take to run it ........ :?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    dilemna wrote:
    ince wrote:

Happy days.

What's the difference? Same but minus bog? Surely it would cost money to take the bog out? Maybe this would cost more than the water, disinectant and toilet paper it would take to run it ........ :?

Your lucky.......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I'm curious what they were planning to do with the space - fair enough when you're initially prepping the building to not put the toilet in, but once it's there are you really going to convert it to an office?

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Well, the waste drain for a toilet can easily be converted into one for a shower... and there's already a basin there...

Taking the plumbing out, otoh, would be a ball of hassle and rather pricey.

Think big!