banged head on road today ... should I get it checked out?

gb2gw
gb2gw Posts: 81
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Just slipped on a nasty bit of ice as I was coming through a little village on the way in this morning. Wasn't going fast but the back end went out and I landed with a right old hard crack to the side of the head above my ear and initially my head really hurt. This wore off a bit and finished the ride okay but now I'm not sure if I need to tootle along the road to A&E to get my bonce checked out or not.

My helmet's a right off, cracked through in several places and I've got a bit of a dull ache in my head. I probably normally wouldn't worry but I'm a bit paranoid about seemingly innocuous bumps to the head after that whole Natasha Richardson thing last year (although admittedly she wasn't wearing a helmet).

A&E or just carry on with my day?

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    get it checked out

better to be safe than sorry, and if your helmet as you say you obviously took a decent knock

hope you are ok?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    +1

No question you should get yourself off to the local A&E pronto.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Since you're here asking... yes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Don't risk it go and get checked out, read this if you don't believe me/us

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -21209637/
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Sounds nasty.

Good job you were wearing a helmet! You really should go for a check up.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Your head or the road?! :-)

best get you noodle checked...!
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Yes, no question.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • go get checked out no question. You should tell your colleagues and boss you've had a crack on the head too in case you keel over at work and the medics need to know any unusual instances that could have contributed to it.

if they're responsible and safety conscious they should insist you go and arrange to get you there.
  • Yes, get it checked. Also, take the helmet with you in case one of the doctors has a clue what he's doing :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • [inflammatory]Yes, you may have rotational brain injury.[/inflammatory]

Probably just a mild concussion. Anything else is highly improbable. So, weigh up peace of mind against hanging out in A&E with a bunch of drunk people and a strange man with a saucepan on his head for 3 hours.
  • +1 ALWAYS ALWAYS get any significant head impact checked out.

I say this from years of getting kicked around on the rugby pitch and not going to the hospital and look what it's done to me ....

:? :? :?
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    Thanks for all the replies. I did pop along to A&E in the end and spent a delightful 3 hours staring at the wall, but at least there were no drunks or people with saucepans on their heads.
    Doc said it was concussion and I should go home and rest so I took off what there was left of the rest of the day and I've stayed home today as well. Headache has mostly gone but by eck have I developed a lovely bit of whiplash down the left side of my neck and some class bruises!

In other good news though, Giro have agreed to replaced aforementioned written-off helmet under their Crash Replacement Scheme with a nice shiny new Athlon helmet for fifty quid.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gb2gw wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. I did pop along to A&E in the end and spent a delightful 3 hours staring at the wall, but at least there were no drunks or people with saucepans on their heads.
    Doc said it was concussion and I should go home and rest so I took off what there was left of the rest of the day and I've stayed home today as well. Headache has mostly gone but by eck have I developed a lovely bit of whiplash down the left side of my neck and some class bruises!

In other good news though, Giro have agreed to replaced aforementioned written-off helmet under their Crash Replacement Scheme with a nice shiny new Athlon helmet for fifty quid.

Glad you're okay and good news about the new dome :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Always good to get checked out in the event of a bang to the head. Especially true for children where a trip to the A&E should be immediate.

Just in case anyone is interested, if you decide not to go you should look out for signs of double vision and dizziness, any "fluid" coming from ears or nose in which case you should get to hospital without delay. Don't just look for blood, it can be Cerebrospinal Fluid which is a clear fluid. Concussion is one possibility with a bump to the head, the symtoms are usually seen very quickly, double vision, dizziness and unconsciousness in some instances. If you are unconscious for any period of time, straight to hospital.

Compression however is potentially far more serious (and overlooked problem) and can take a bit longer to show. Usually as a result of a buildup of fluid inside the skull which puts pressure on the brain. Not immediately apparent but worth looking out for for several hours after a bang to the head. If you're riding with someone, make sure they are looking out for you also, you may not be in a fit state to recognise whats happening to you with the onset of a compresson injury. Take no chances with kids for any sort of head injury, straight to hospital.

Anyway, glad you're ok.

Dex.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Hope you're feeling better. Have a virtual mince pie.

Your spill is an advert for the necessity of wearing a helmet ......
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.