First serious bike

dr.a
dr.a Posts: 120
edited December 2009 in MTB beginners
I think I'm gonna start becoming renowned for my indecisive nature. . . :? But here goes!

I'm seriously wanting to get the Carrera Vulcan (red 08 model with damped fork) as my first proper MTB, which I could get within the next week (And upgrade over time as I've seen this done). I've re-searched it over and over and read reviews, and like what I see. I also briefly thought about the Carrera Vengeance, due to hydro discs, and then I could upgrade the fork as I've heard it's a heavy one. (I can't get the Vengeance anywhere near me however which my be a problem! (Nearest halfords which has it in stock is 82 miles away).

However, in the event that there's reduced prices of the GT's then I'll get an Aggressor XC2, no question (As that was my IDEAL option if I could somehow spawn £400)

At the minute I can't really be going over £280

Any last minute suggestions/views on the Vulcan before the deal is done?

(Second hand/eBay isn't an option)

Thank you so much everyone, again!
"If you're sleeping', you're not gonna play anything" - John Petrucci, 2004.

2002-2007: Terrano Bullion
2007-2008: Apollo Guru
2008-2010: Shockwave XT980
2010: Carrera Fury 08

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Dr.A wrote:
    Any last minute suggestions/views on the Vulcan before the deal is done?

Buy it, have fun on it, and let us know how you get on! :D
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Buy the vulcan - very good frame and not badly specced

With the money you saved from the vengence, upgrade the vulcan's fork to a RS Tora or summat
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have some 2009 Toras for sale if you do decide to upgrade (never used as swapped when I bought my bike). PM me if you want more info.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    I've seen the GIANT YUKON available at £289 somewhere. Full-Suspension :)

I don't really know anything about Carrera apart from: They sell them in Halfords. <<< and that's it.
  • dr.a
    Thanks for the replies!

I'll go for the Vulcan then, and let you's know how it goes.

Only slight thing that bothered me was Halford's reputation on setting bikes up =/

I'd hate to be all excited with my bike, and then have gear shifting issues/loose parts etc!

Thanks again people.

• the worst they did to my bike was strip a bolt but it was still really annoying
  • imo if its the bike u want then drive the 82miles 2get it it aint that far :)
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • dr.a
    I've managed to secure myself transport, so I'll be able to make the 82 miles after all. Now that this is the case, should I go for the Vengeance over the Vulcan?

Also, In either case I'll be upgrading the fork anyway after a while (And another good point is that the Vengeance has the advantage of already coming with hydraulic brakes!!)

Thanks.

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    think the vengence just an diddy bit nicer....shh.
    like freeride said , 82 mles not that far if its the one you want.
    you have checked its the right size haven't you ? :lol:
  • dr.a
    The stated frame size (17-18") should be suitable for me, but obviously I'm gonna sit on it properly and try it for size before I hand over any cash ;)

Anyone else think I should go for the Vengeance?

Or the Vulcan?

Thanks.

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Vengeance has a Dart 1 fork which is pretty poor. Not disasterous but not nice, not as good as the XCM on the Vulcan which for my money is the least good suspension fork that I'd want to have on a bike really. I think they have the same frame. The Tektro hydraulics on the Vengeance are very nice though, I have a set of those off my old Kraken and though they're seen as a budget option I'd sooner have them than Juciy 5s or similiar. Very shimano-ish.

Well, I dunno. Quite similiar. If I was getting either, I'd hope to upgrade the fork in the medium term, so with that in mind the Vengeance makes more sense. But if you don't want to do that I'd say the Vulcan is the one to go for. But they're so close I wouldn't lose too much sleep.

And yeah, both good competent entry level bikes, way better than what I learned on... I see a guy sometimes on wednesday nights at Glentress on a Vulcan, he's fitted Tora forks but other than that it's pretty much standard and he's pretty quick...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • u,ll have to be quick if you want the red as they are now obsolete they only do a metallic blue one with white wheels!!
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Merlin cycles are having a clearance on Avid brakes (may well have all gone by now) Why not get the Vulcan for the better fork, and get some dirt cheap (£60for both ends) hydro brakes?

And can Halfords not deliver the bike to you?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dr.a
    Hey everyone.

Bad news; the links on halfords' website for the 08 Vulcan and the Vengeance are both non-existent. . . I think they've discontinued these bikes, as both links have "Not currently stocked in store" beside them, and when you click the link you get a " not found" message.

I guess it was only a matter of time. I was in my local halfords today and neither was in store; Only the kraken, fury, vulcan 09 (blue one), banshee, GT aggressor xc3 and xc2 respectively were there.

Am I wrong to assume prices will drop in January?

• biff55
    yes , and vat up 2.5%
  • dr.a
    Damn!

Well, unless I save up just a few weeks longer, my budget will stand at £280.

Should I get a bike for this price range or should I save up a bit more?

Suggestions are much appreciated, believe me!

Dr.A

• biff55
    definatly save for longer
    get to £400 or above with budget and better bikes become available.
    prices in spring wont be that different to prices now.
    plus you'll be saving up while riding weather is really sh*t .
    think laterally 8)
  • dr.a
    The joy of saving up; That means a much wider options list will emerge and I'll loose even more sleep lol!

Thanks anyway though, I suppose it does make more sense to save longer.

Any quick suggestions just now during these early days?

I'll be planning on spending £400-450 (£500 max)

• Here you go:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Sale/26/Focus_Super_Bud_2009/5360037553/

If that ain't a bargain, show what is!
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • dr.a
    Oh my lord. . . I think I'm in love :shock:

• dr.a
    Perhaps not as much as I thought. . . It's not the bike for me.

I'm throwing around a few ideas (I'm itching to do some riding!);
    Do I save for a couple of more weeks and miss out on riding, so that I can get a more expensive bike? (The £400-500 options) or do I get a more entry level option and slowly upgrade it (which I've seen done successfully)

I know the former seems like the best idea, but I'm finding it hard to give into temptation seeing as I already have £300 sitting here.

The joy! :(

• I went with Carrera Vulcan option and i'm happy with it. And it will do for me for a while till my riding develops. Its your money at the end of the day mate.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Dr.A wrote:
    I'm throwing around a few ideas (I'm itching to do some riding!);
    Do I save for a couple of more weeks and miss out on riding, so that I can get a more expensive bike? (The £400-500 options) or do I get a more entry level option and slowly upgrade it (which I've seen done successfully)

I know the former seems like the best idea, but I'm finding it hard to give into temptation seeing as I already have £300 sitting here.

Buying then upgrading is always going to be more expensive at this price, when you look at the amount of parts needed to upgrade, say, a Vulcan to a Fury's spec it's a lot more than £200 worth. £500 is a really nice price point to be at, it's where you start to get decent wheels and forks and the rest of the kit is still OK. Above that, your money tends to get a bit less.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dr.a
    I really want a GT aggressor. I could get the XC3 now for £299.99, which I'm very tempted to do! Or I could wait a couple of more weeks and get the XC2. I saw the both of them next to each other in Halfords the other day, and I was torn between the two!

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XC2 is a better bike - worth the extra.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The GT XC2 is a good but heavy bike, sold mine now but served me well to start off with getting back into the sport.
  • dr.a
    There's no way it can be heavy, right?

Depends on your idea of heavy.

My Idea is the ol' shockwave XT980 and other such tat. . . When I sat on my mates' Aggressor xc2 and Avalanche 2.0 (both 2007 models), I'd never felt anything so agile and responsive.

It wont be 'heavy' surely?

EDIT: Perhaps the 09 XC2 will drop in price when the '10 models are introduced? (Whenever that will be)

• pk64
    pk64 Posts: 53
    Whatever you decide to buy, I would keep clear of Halfords, I bought a trax bike from Halfords in January this year for £140 (supposed to have been reduced from £340) with a fairly decent spec, full suspension and cable disc brakes but it was terrible, I had it until June when I sold it and bought a Trek 3900 for £400, it was a much lower spec, only cable V brakes and no full suspension but there is no comparison between the two, the trek is just fantastic. You get what you pay for!
    2009 Trek 3900 - MTB (Upgraded)
    1976 Eddy Merckx - Road (Restored)
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    pk64 wrote:
    I had it until June when I sold it and bought a Trek 3900 for £400, it was a much lower spec, only cable V brakes and no full suspension but there is no comparison between the two, the trek is just fantastic. You get what you pay for!

Precisely. There is absolutely no comparison between a 140 quid full suspension "bike" and a real bike. There's nothing wrong with some of the bikes Halfords sell like GTs, Carreras and Boardmans.
  • dr.a
    I disagree with you on staying clear from Halfords; They sell some quality bikes, and even though set-up might be unsavoury sometimes, well it's not that big a deal. . . Just check the bike over before use.

I'll have the cash for the Aggressor XC2 on February the 3rd, at which point I'll buy it.

The countdown begins.

:)